Chad Ford's Opinion on Warriors

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Shapecity, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

SportsNation Chad Ford: This is a tough one. I think Nellie should help the Warriors achieve their potential, but they're in a tough division and conference. I think they'll come close, but I think it may take another year. The problem with the Warriors is that no one on their team is what I would call a "winner" That takes a while to teach. We may have to give Nellie another year before we seriously talk about playoffs. Here's how I break it down:

1. Suns
    2. Clippers
    3. Lakers
    4. Kings
    5. Warriors

Bonzie (Harrisburg, PA): Mike Dunleavy...Power Forward...Brilliant, out-of-the-box thinking? Or last ditch move for a franchise trying to justify a 40M+ investment?

SportsNation Chad Ford: See this is what I'm talking about with the Warriors. Love Nellie's out of the box thinking, but cringe at Dunleavy being a major part of any teams plans to make the playoffs ... especially at the four.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Nice! Thx Shape.

This probably doesn't matter to some, but I said Dunleavy was more of an unathletic Tim Thomas type small forward/power forward that would probably end up playing power forward because of defensive concerns guarding quickness. Better defender than expected, but not really the type that can guard either full time, especially if there are guys like Brand/Shareef Abdur Rahim or Zach Randolph that love physical contact. Being 6'10 or 6'4" puts one in a very awkward position because they are often stuck between positions that the rest of the league can beat on one end of the floor or other. The difference is of course, skill, how quickly they move, how strong they are, how long they are in the arms, and whether or not their skillset compliments the position they are trying to play.

I've never seen much of Dunleavy's post up skills and I'm not even sure if they are similar to that of a guy like Hedo Turkogolu who can play 4 positions like Dunleavy can. But I'm sure a Dunleavy at full potential could do no worse than a healthy Pat Garrity or Toni Kukoc or even the type of player Brad Miller could be if he was a small forward type body instead of a center that plays like a high post big man.

3. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Since Dunleavy has been the point-forward initiating the offense, he's rarely going to ever need post moves. It's lucky for him, because I just can't see Dunleavy ever posting up unless it was a massive mismatch. The guy should stick to a gameplan of driving to the basket or mid-range jumpers, because anything more is really stretching it right now. Luckily, by staying at the high post and cutting after the pass, those are the types of opportunities he will see most.

So, I kind of agree with Chad Ford, but I don't think it will turn out too badly. On the other hand, Nelly is definitely fitting a triangle peg into a square hole - there's definitely some mismatching.

4. Custodianrules2

Yeah, but a power forward should have some post game to keep things honest. I mean even Dirk and Peja have some.

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I don't think he'll have to, this team is going to push the ball every chance that they can and score a ton on the run

6. Custodianrules2

I'd like to see how fast they can push the ball on the inbounds after the other team scores.

7. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Look back at those old Warrior teams. They scored 117 a game and gave up like 112. Don't think that they can't do it.

8. Custodianrules2

That was when we had 3 all-stars and our slowest guy could actually shoot. I count maybe 1 and half all-stars since Jrich and Baron have their moments where they don't really carry the team much, especially when they are out there missing free throws. Every true all-star guard hits 75%. At least Gary Payton level. It is really sad when our best guys can't make 3 or 4 easy points and we lose by 3 or 4 easy points.

9. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Zhone Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">On the other hand, Nelly is definitely fitting a triangle peg into a square hole - there's definitely some mismatching.</div>

Yes, but when the triangle peg is undersized...

10. Custodianrules2

But a triangle can go into a square if the base and height is the same as the width of the square. So, Zhone, what you mean is Nelson can make it fit even though it seems like it can't?

Maybe it is more like the Warriors are a square peg trying to go into a round hole... or no?

Sorry I'm fcked up right now. LOL. [​IMG]

I'm not too ethusiastic about unconventional small ball, but it seems like it can be successful given the right amount of inside and outside presence, chemistry, fluidity, defensive stops, and shooting. Grittiness counts for something too if we need a defensive save, an extra posession to shoot the ball, or a great hard pick or a box out to make other players better.

11. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

I'm not too ethusiastic about unconventional small ball, but it seems like it can be successful given the right amount of inside and outside presence, chemistry, fluidity, defensive stops, and shooting. Grittiness counts for something too if we need a defensive save, an extra posession to shoot the ball, or a great hard pick or a box out to make other players better.</div>

Bingo, if the team plays hard and together, the grittiness can overcome a lot. The Warriors have not shown much grittiness since Musselman left.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Bingo, if the team plays hard and together, the grittiness can overcome a lot. The Warriors have not shown much grittiness since Musselman left.</div>

You mean when Dampier and Cardinal left [​IMG]

A lot of franchise's success and failures depend on their biggest, most strongest presence in the middle because it is the most involved position in offense whether it is with the ball or without. It is almost the last line of defense when it comes to making stops. Whether this role comes from the power forward or center, we need to have one badly. In fact, I think it's more likely the center if we have a decent or star power forward. Duncan hasn't gotten that championship until he got more depth at the center to help Rasho Nesterovic out. Miami wouldn't have won unless they had two kinds of big men (a defensive guy and a dominant post threat). All the playoffs have some star big man at F or C. We have none. [​IMG] And that's partly why we lose and why our guards play the way they do sometimes. It's inexcusable. I wish Mullin was replaced by somebody that coached both a halfcourt and opencourt game so they know the importance of building a team. Heck I bet Dunleavy could be a good GM. I think he understands more than Mullin.

Now Cardinal wasn't worth keeping like Dampier, but their '03 years were stellar for what the team needed IMO. Somebody that could be an honest threat from outside while Claxton tears it up off the dribble, hit free throws, pass, play gritty and get those second chance points much like Dampier was doing when he got offensive rebounds and putbacks. We don't have many players like that '03 year [​IMG]