Chandler available?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by NattaNerNuttaMan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    with the rumor of the Hornets making only Paul and West thier "untouchables" and flirting with Miami as a possible trade for Marion. Why not work a deal for him ourselves!

Hornets trades:

Tyson Chandler

Minnesota trades:

Mike Miller
    Calvin Booth
    two second round picks (one this year and next year)

Link: http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4979686

--------------------------------------------------------------

Why the Hornets might consider it: with the Hornets wanting to cut some cash Chandler is on contract through 2011 (last year being a player option). By taking this deal they get about 1.5 mil on Booth's exp contract. and with the two 2nd rounders they get two young players who are not straped to the team like 1st Rounders who get a guaranteed contract. In Miller they get a player that teamed with Peja and a cutting Paul would be absolutly deadly (giving Paul two targets on the wing who can knock down open shots). And on top of that, Miller's contract will expire after next year so that's 9.5 mil that drops off thier books in 2010.

Why Minnesota might consider it: Chandler gives them the inside defensive presence they have been lacking through his prime years. What makes Chandler better is he doesn't demand the ball go through him on offense...since a majority of his points come on putbacks. He doesn't seem to be a glory hog and would form a great rotation in the front court with Big Al & Love. Andif he fits in well, Minnesota will have the capspace to offer an extension. And let's not forget, that by getting Chandler and solidifying our interior...it will give us a chance to focus on the PG spot come draft time.

Hit me back with any thoughts!

2. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Awesome, let's give up on the Al/Love big combo right when it begins to work.

3. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    Whos giving up on Big Al and Love??? The plan has ALWAYS been to have a 3 man rotation of bigs once Pekovic came over. Love and Al is not going to be a championship caliber front court with them playing 40 mpg each, you need a 3rd rotation big and Chandler can be that guy, OR we can bring Love off the bench because Chandler fits perfectly with both of them.

As far as trading pieces, we would at least have to give up Collins here. Marion would only be an expiring contract for NOH so they would probably ask for Miller/Collins/McCants/Bos 1st.

4. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    No one is giving up on anything...hold your horses....it's called a rotation...and you can't deny that Chandler's game fits in perfectly with Big Al's or Love depending who's he's in with....it's really a big win here

5. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    I like your thought process, but Chandler only makes 1mil more than Miller...which is why I went with the addition of Booth and draftpicks that didn't have garaunteed contratcs attached.

hey way you have it is....Hornets trading off 10mil and bring back in about 19mil....just doesn't work

6. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    I was in a rush out the door so i didnt have to check it on the Trade Checker. Didnt know Chandlers exact contract. You might be right with Miller seeing as he is a 2010 expiring and Chandler has an ETO. I Def think the Bos pick would have to be going though

7. tim

tim Respect JPJ

I'm sorry, you guys are right. It's been a rough week :).

I would do it.

8. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    lol...it's all good, Tim....with the loss of Big Al....I want the deal even more.....we're in a depressingly bad way if Collins is forced to start at center for us....:sigh:

9. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    Or if Booth actually makes his way off the bench, It'll be like

*Now entering the game for Kevin Love, Calvin Booth

:lol: Oh shit, they're serious:sigh:

A Telfair/McCants/Gomes/Cardinal/Booth lineup is the most offensively inept lineup possible and it is def in the realm of possibility.

10. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    I know, right....:sigh: At least we know that there is a better chance Miller will be dealt before the trade deadline

11. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    Another idea might be to offer Collins, McCants, Booth and the rights to Pekovic for Chandler. 3 expirings and a lotto potential big man. This allows to to keep Miller and use him along with Cardinal and Smith to the Cavs who are hurting badly since West and Pavlovic went out with injuries.

Collins/McCants/Booth/Rights to Pekovic/*Bos 1st? for Tyson Chandler

Miller/Cardinal/Smith for Wally/Darnell Jackson/Cle 1st

Telfair/Blake Ahearn (10-day)
    Foye/Wally
    Gomes/Carney
    Love/Gomes/Cardinal
    Chandler/Pops or Courtney Sims (10-day

That still leaves us with 3 draft picks and about $15M in cap room next season.

12. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military

Not too bad...I like the deal to get Chandler....not sure NO would bite on that though. But we are dealing away Miller I'd like to get either a Center or PG in return

13. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    I figured NO probably needs to see that that they dont have enough depth to make a run at the Ship this year and with Chandler, West and Paul, they wont have any money available to try and get any depth in the offseason. They get 3 expirings, a young big that should be over in 2010, another 1st round pick and all the money they will save will really help them. It may not be the best offer on the table value-wise i'll agree, but im not sure how many teams out there are really going to make a play for Chandler.

They need to take learn from the difference btwn Washington and Boston. Putting all your money into 3 guys only works if all 3 are potential superstars/MVP's. Washington is stuck in a bad way with Gil being their only potential superstar and likewise Paul is the only one for NO, and having to pay Peja, Paul, West and Chandler all that money is hurting them.

14. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Is it me....or has it been pretty quiet in trade talks involving Chandler? I haven't heard much about him moving....other than the Hornets are willing to part with him

15. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    The Thunder have been trying to get him using Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox i have heard.

We have been shopping McCants and the Kings have apparently become interested with Quincy Douby (who i believe is expiring and cheaper) and Mikki Moore (who is only guaranteed $2M next season) but i dont know what we are tossing in to match salary

Also apparently Dalembert could be had for McCants/Collins/Cardinal. According to Chad Ford that rumor is picking up steam

16. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Well, it sucks we didn't get Chandler...since I think we could have offered something more that Wilcox, J.Smith and a D-Leaguer....:sigh: :dunno: damn!

But moving on....I like the thought of Dalembert...a legit center who can defend the post and rebound. He fits as well. And if we can turn Miller and a pick into either Butler or Wallace...we could be alright

This year:
    PG: Telfair (until we draft a PG this year with our first pick)
    SG: Foye
    SF: G. Wallace or Butler
    PF: Love/Gomes
    C: Dalembert

Next year:
    PG: Jennings or Teague/Telfair
    SG: Foye
    SF: G. Wallace or Butler / Brewer
    PF: Big Al / Love
    C: Dalembert

17. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    I dont like the idea of paying Dalembert more than Al Jefferson for far less production. Thats a lot of long term salary we take on in those deals that im not really a fan of. Wallace would be fantastic. Butler i think would be oh so perfect but i just dont like Dalembert.

Collins/McCants/Rights to Pekovic>>>>Wilcox/Smith/Rights to Hardin IMO. Wolves should have pushed hard to get Chandler.

18. Shogun

Shogun Member

Livin'
    We should try to make a deal to save the Wizards money and trade for their lotto pick since they just let it be known it was available. Hell, kill 2 birds with one stone and try to get Butler

Collins/Miller/McCants/MIA 1st or Bos 1st and Rights to Pekovic for Butler/Thomas/Songalia/WAS 1st

That gives us 2 picks in the top 10 (probably top 5), a star SF and Thomas can even be a useful Center

OR

Collins/McCants/Telfair/Booth/Rights to Peks/MIA 1st for Haywood/Songalia/Crittenton/WAS 1st

Young legit 7'0 Center and a Young project PG. Draft BPA with the picks. We keep Miller and try to swing a S&T for Marvin Williams this offseason and BOOM, contender.

19. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    I'm starting to like your thinking....:cheers: I really wish 'Sota pushed harder for Chandler...your right,we coulda offered way better.

But I like the idea to get Butler...he would be perfect for us. I would like him more than the Haywood trade....since there could be 3-4 players that can play center (Thabeet, Hill, Monroe & Mullins) that will be around when we pick.