Chicago Bulls Draft Thread 2006

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Midnight Green, May 9, 2006.

1. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

With our season now officially over, after a tough first round series against the Miami Heat I figured we might as well look ahead to the upcoming NBA draft. In the Heat series our weaknesses where exploited our lack of inside presence and scoring down low cost us a series we might have won other wise. Now with a top three pick likely in our possession, as well as serious money under the cap, we have a chance to address this need. Below are three of the major names we are looking at in this years draft from rumors, and reports that I have heard, along with a scouting report I have made, and statistics. Feel free to offer some input!

Expect some scouting reports for possible selection with our second first round pick to be posted as soon as I have time to create some scouting reports, and analysis the talent that is being projected to be left on the board come that pick. If you would like to contribute to this thread, but don?t necessarily follow college basketball, or are simply unsure of the statistics/numbers of international talent in this years draft. Here are some draft resources where you can find more information on players...

www.nbadraft.net
    www.draftexpress.com (pictures and player comparisons courtesy of draft express)

<font size=""6""><div align="center">First 1st Round Pick:2nd Overall Pick</div></font>

[IMGL]http://draftexpress.com/headshots/lamarcusaldridge.jpg[/IMGL]PF|C LaMarcus Aldridge - Texas- 6'11" - 237 lbs.
    15.0 PPG| 9.2 RPG| 0.5 APG| 1.6 TO| 1.4 SPG| 2.0 BPG| .569 FG%| .646 FT%

LaMarcus Aldridge, widely considered the safest pick in the 2006 draft, saw his stock drop a little bit after a disappointing elimination game against LSU in the NCAA tournament. Luckly, for Aldridge, the Bulls have a top three selection (most likely) and their in need of a big man just like him. The only adjustment he might have to make is a move to center. Tyson Chandler has expressed his desire to return to his natural power forward spot. There are some questions about his back to the basket game, not nothing that can?t be fixed. He has a nice mid range jumper similar to Channing Frye. This is personally my favorite pick out of all the possibilities. He is a great player and will be a dominant big man in the future.
    NBA Comparison: Jermaine O?Neal

Projected Depth Chart
    PG- Kirk Hinrich| Chris Duhon| Ben Gordon
    SG- Ben Gordon| Chris Duhon| Luol Deng
    SF- Andres Nocioni| Luol Deng| Malik Allen
    PF- LaMarcus Aldridge| Tyson Chandler| Darius Songaila
    C- Michael Sweetney| Darius Songaila| Tyson Chandler

[IMGL]http://draftexpress.com/headshots/tyrusthomas.jpg[/IMGL]PF Tyrus Thomas - LSU - 6'9" - 215 lbs.
    12.3 PPG| 9.2 RPG| 1.3 APG| 1.8 TO| 1.0 SPG| 3.1 BPG| .608 FG%| .657 FT%

Tyrus Thomas sky rocketed up mock draft boards after an outstanding NCAA tournament performance, in which he helped the LSU Tigers earn a final four birth. One of the things he has the scouts raving about is his shot blocking ability. Despite his incredible athletic ability and reach, his size remains a big concern. Thomas is only 6?9? a bit undersized when compared to other NBA power forwards. Thomas is expected to make an immediate impact on the offensive end. However, scouts expect his offensive game to be a working project. Another question scouts have about Thomas is his weight, Thomas weighs five pounds less than Hakeem Warrick did at this time last year, despite being an inch taller. John Paxson is reportable very high on this kid, and might make him the Bulls selection, if he is on the board.
    NBA Comparison: Stromile Swift/ with Ben Wallace Attitude

Projected Depth Chart
    SF- Luol Deng| Malik Allen| Andres Nocioni
    PF- Andres Nocioni| Tyrus Thomas| Darius Songaila
    C- Michael Sweetney| Tyson Chandler| Darius Songaila

[imgl]http://draftexpress.com/headshots/andreabargnani.jpg[/imgl]PF Andrea Bargnani - Rome/Italy- 6'11" - 240 lbs.
    Statistics: N/A

Andrea Bargnani has watched his draft stock fluctuate immensely during the past few months. Depending what mock drafts you read he might be going any where from one through seven. Widely considered the best foreign talent in this years draft, and expected to be the first international player taken, Bargnani has wowed the scouts with his size and range. His ability to stroke the ball from deep along with his 6?11? frame have earned him comparisons to another well known foreign talent namely Dirk Nowitzki. I have not seen much of this kid, but from what I have heard the only knocks on his game are his lack of strength, and back to the basket game. Both of which can be developed in time.
    NBA Comparison: Dirk Nowitzki

Projected Depth Chart
    PF- Andrea Bargnani| Tyson Chandler| Darius Songaila

Let's go Bulls!

2. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

I'm pretty curious of what Andrea Bargnani can do in the NBA. But, I would want the Bulls to take the safe pick with LaMarcus Aldridge.

3. Midnight Green

<font size=""6""> <div align="center">Second First Round Pick: 16th Overall</div></font>
    [IMGL]http://draftexpress.com/headshots/ronniebrewer.jpg[/IMGL] SG Ronnie Brewer - Arkansas- 6'7" - 217 lbs.
    18.4 PPG| 4.8 RPG| 3.3 APG| 2.2 TO| 2.6 SPG| 0.5 BPG| .441 FG%| .750 FT%

Ronnie Brewer seems to have all the physical attributes to be a star in the NBA. Brewer has good size, he can play any of the first three spots on the court, and he has a long wing span. The Bulls have made it no secret that they would love to gain some size in their back court. The Bulls are in need of a guard to challenge Ben Gordon and push him to get better Brewer would be just that guy. One of the major concerns scouts seem to have is his shooting form, which is not what you would call fundamentally sound, some scouts question his ability to get the ball off at the pro level.
    NBA Comparison: Andre Iguodala

Projected Depth Chart
    SG- Ben Gordon| Ronnie Brewer| Luol Deng
    PF- LaMarcus Aldridge| Tyson Chandler| Darius Songaila

[IMGL]http://draftexpress.com/headshots/mardycollins.jpg[/IMGL]SG/PG Mardy Collins - Temple - 6'6" - 220 lbs.
    16.8 PPG| 4.7 RPG| 4.0 APG| 2.0 TO| 2.8 SPG| 0.2 BPG| .432 FG%| .596 FT%

Mardy Collins was a big point guard in college, and is likely to make the move to shooting guard at the pro level, depending what team he goes to. Collins has great passing ability as well as the size to rise up and shoot over player, or post them up and take them to the basket. He does not have the best shooting stroke he shot only 31% from the perimeter in college. The biggest thing scouts are saying about Collins is that he is most likely a role player not much star potential. Perfect to back up Ben Gordon, and give us a spark off the bench.
    NBA Comparison: Aaron Mckie

Projected Depth Chart
    SG- Ben Gordon| Mardy Collins | Luol Deng
    SF- Luol Deng| Malik Allen| Andres Nocioni
    PF- Andres Nocioni| Tyrus Thomas| Darius Songaila
    C- Michael Sweetney| Tyson Chandler| Darius Songaila

Other Options:

Randy Foye- My second favorite player in this draft, Randy Foye is expected to go top ten in this draft, but you can always hope. Foye stands only 6’3” he has a linebacker type body built and can still play a big mans game.

JJ Redick- The Bulls front office loves those Dukies, and they love winners, and who has won more than JJ Redick at the college level over the last four years? Redick would fit in with the Bulls, because of his ability to shoot from the perimeter. With him, Gordon, and Hinrich playing next to Aldridge the Bulls could have one of the best inside/outside games in the league.

Sheldon Williams- Should he still be on the board at 16 don't be surprised to see the Bulls take him. Despite having their future front court likely set (Chandler and whoever they take with the first pick) Williams would give the Bulls depth, and another great shot blocker. Not to mention another Blue Devil.

Let's go Bulls!

4. Midnight Green

Draft lottery is on Tuesday, John Paxson will be there representing the Bulls. Be sure to tune into ESPN and see where the Bulls land.

5. Bulls=Amazing

Bulls=Amazing JBB chea

6:30 central ESPN

6. Midnight Green

man I can't to see this. I heard somewhere that we are guarenteed at least a top three pick. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but we will see. I'm hoping we get the first or second pick.

7. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Yeah, it probably is. But if we get 2nd hopefully the first team selects Tyrus Thomas or Morrison and the Bulls get ALDRIDGE!

8. SebP?

SebP? JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, it probably is. But if we get 2nd hopefully the first team selects Tyrus Thomas or Morrison and the Bulls get ALDRIDGE!</div>

We did get the second, and the Raptors will take Morrison hopefully. That means Aldridge falls in our laps!

9. Bull?ain?

Bull?ain? JBB JustBBall Member

Is it even remotely possible Reddick drops down to 16? I just don't see it happening with other teams needed a guard. That would be amazing if he did though. Then this team would probably resemble the Suns with a strong backcourt and a beast up front be it Thomas or Aldridge.

10. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bull?ain?:</div><div class="quote_post">Is it even remotely possible Reddick drops down to 16? I just don't see it happening with other teams needed a guard. That would be amazing if he did though. Then this team would probably resemble the Suns with a strong backcourt and a beast up front be it Thomas or Aldridge.</div>
    There is a very good chance he will be there teams question his ability on the defensive end, and his ability to create his own shot. The "expert" who was there during the draft lottery predicted he would go early 20's.

11. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bull?ain?:</div><div class="quote_post">Is it even remotely possible Reddick drops down to 16? I just don't see it happening with other teams needed a guard. That would be amazing if he did though. Then this team would probably resemble the Suns with a strong backcourt and a beast up front be it Thomas or Aldridge.</div>
    Yeah, like BKS said, he's projected in the late 20's.. If he does fall their I think the Suns are a great fit for him. He'll be able to shoot 3's all day with Steve Nash and the rest of the guys. And if he knocks his shot down, he'll probably score a lot.

12. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

if i were you guys, i think there could only be two possible situations with the # 2 overall pick.

situation #1? aldridge falls to you guys and you snab him.

situation #2? you trade down or use the pick in a package for, lets say KG. the reason? because once aldridge is gone, the other big man left is tyrus thomas. i guess you guys COULD draft someone like morrison and gay, but there is a lot of talent in the guard spot in this draft, and you could still get some quality players a couple of picks later.

as for tyrus? i dont like him. i really think the guy is going to end up as a bust. his offensive game consists of dunking the ball, he has no jump shot and no range, and from what i can remember, not much moves down in the post. put it this way, he is still very raw on offense. on defense? the guy has really never dominated on defense. sure, he can give you a couple of blocked shots here and there, but i dont think he will ever be a good rebounder. the guy is just too skinny and weak. from what i see, tyrus is just another stro swift. he is very athletic, and has tons of potential, but i dont think he will ever live up to it.

the smart thing for the bulls to do IMO is to trade down in the draft, or package the pick for KG. when they trade down, there will be plenty of talent left, with guys like foye, carney, williams, brown, and ect. but thats just my opinion.

13. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">if i were you guys, i think there could only be two possible situations with the # 2 overall pick.

situation #1? aldridge falls to you guys and you snab him.

situation #2? you trade down or use the pick in a package for, lets say KG. the reason? because once aldridge is gone, the other big man left is tyrus thomas. i guess you guys COULD draft someone like morrison and gay, but there is a lot of talent in the guard spot in this draft, and you could still get some quality players a couple of picks later.

as for tyrus? i dont like him. i really think the guy is going to end up as a bust. his offensive game consists of dunking the ball, he has no jump shot and no range, and from what i can remember, not much moves down in the post. put it this way, he is still very raw on offense. on defense? the guy has really never dominated on defense. sure, he can give you a couple of blocked shots here and there, but i dont think he will ever be a good rebounder. the guy is just too skinny and weak. from what i see, tyrus is just another stro swift. he is very athletic, and has tons of potential, but i dont think he will ever live up to it.

the smart thing for the bulls to do IMO is to trade down in the draft, or package the pick for KG. when they trade down, there will be plenty of talent left, with guys like foye, carney, williams, brown, and ect. but thats just my opinion.</div>
    From the report posted on the T-Wolves forum about KG and trades, they only want Kobe or LeBron, they mentioned Paxson trying to get him even now that we have the #2 pick, but, their still not interested.

14. Bull?ain?

Bull?ain? JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">From the report posted on the T-Wolves forum about KG and trades, they only want Kobe or LeBron, they mentioned Paxson trying to get him even now that we have the #2 pick, but, their still not interested.</div>

That's too bad, I'd love to see him in a Bulls uniform even at this age. And from what you guys say about Reddick I'd love for the Bulls to nab him. Much like how Paxson has drafted recently this guy knows how to win and he could be a big shooter like Kerr maybe.

15. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">From the report posted on the T-Wolves forum about KG and trades, they only want Kobe or LeBron, they mentioned Paxson trying to get him even now that we have the #2 pick, but, their still not interested.</div>
    well, thats what they are saying as of now. do you really think the cavs or the lakers would give up lebron or kobe for KG? no. thats impossible. if KG continues to be unhappy, the only situation i see is him getting traded. and the bulls do have a lot of good pieces available.

16. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

#2 picks in the NBA have usually ended up being busts. Paxson should trade this pick to get a scorer such as Iverson.

17. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dallasdude:</div><div class="quote_post">#2 picks in the NBA have usually ended up being busts. Paxson should trade this pick to get a scorer such as Iverson.</div>
    That's because the teams have not made the safe choice the past couple of years, and gone souley on "potential". We should'nt trade the pick it will cost a lot more than just the pick to get Iverson, we could build a nice core with Aldridge as the center.

18. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">well, thats what they are saying as of now. do you really think the cavs or the lakers would give up lebron or kobe for KG? no. thats impossible. if KG continues to be unhappy, the only situation i see is him getting traded. and the bulls do have a lot of good pieces available.</div>
    Yeah, I know they would never do that. But, I forgot to mention unless he asks for a trade, it would be way different.

19. bruin007

bruin007 JBB JustBBall Member

Luol Deng is the next Grant Hill... mark my words which is why I want him for the lakers he'd be the perfect sidekick to Kobe. I know this is a Bulls thread but damn Deng is the *****.

20. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bruin007:</div><div class="quote_post">Luol Deng is the next Grant Hill... mark my words which is why I want him for the lakers he'd be the perfect sidekick to Kobe. I know this is a Bulls thread but damn Deng is the *****.</div>
    next grant hill? are you serious? deng is a good player and all, and has a lot of potential, but i honestly dont ever see him as an all star, let alone grant hill. what parts of their games are similar? im not taking away from deng or anything, but i think the most he will ever be in the league is a solid starter