Chinese Club Will Block Yi's Move To Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by bronbron23, Jul 17, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">July 17, 2007 - 10:41 am

The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added</div>

source

2. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

This is absolute BS. They're going to stop him going to the team because it's not suitable for his growth. No offense to Yi but he didn't have any games in the summer league where he scored 30-40 points so no team is going to take him in and get rid of players that might "effect his development" which is a completely stupid reason in the first place. If anything Bogut and Villanueva will help him develop because he will be fighting for playing time amongst them if there was a team where there were not other tall players to practice against then it's likely he would dominate in practice but when it came to game time he wouldn't. This whole situation seems to be getting worse and worse but I will stress again this gives no one the right to try and justify a ban on international players from entering the league if they try to dictate what team they go to when they're drafted so don't bring it up.

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

This is really hurting Yi's image, and China's image in general. I don't really think we should put blame on Yi. He has said that he does not mind playing in Miluakee, but the Chinese government seems intent on moving him elsewhere.

It's all really just stupid. If Yi was drafted by Miluakee, he should play for Miluakee. The Chinese government cannot dictate where Yi goes. Yi either plays for Miluakee, or he goes back to China. Period. David Stern really has to step in here and do something about this. We can't have players going around requesting trades because they are playing for a "small market." Stern needs to lay his foot down and say, Miluakee or China. If the Chinese government keeps interferring in the process, trying to get him traded elsewhere, Yi should just pack his bags and go home. This is really getting ridiculous. If players don't want to play in small cities, then why not move every NBA team to New York, or Los Angeles.

Small Chinese population my ass. Tony Parker plays in San Antonio, how many French people live in San Antonio? Dirk plays in Dallas, how many German people live in Dallas? China can't force the Bucks, an NBA franchise, to do anything. China also seems to think Yi Jianlian is Lebron James. Yi hasn't even stepped a foot on an NBA court, and struggled in the summer leagues. What happens when Yi turns into the next Wang Zhizhi after it's all said and done?

Also, what happens if Yi is traded to a team like the Lakers (an example). What happens when he struggles and is buried under guys like Lamar Odom and Luke Walton on the depth chart. Will the Chinese government complain about that too? What if Yi only averages 10 or 15 minutes per game. Will the Chinese government demand the Lakers give him more playing time, or force them to trade Yi? This is all just ridiculous. Yi is an NBA rookie and should be treated like an NBA rookie. Just because he comes from China does not mean he is any more special than anyone else

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is really hurting Yi's image, and China's image in general. I don't really think we should put blame on Yi. He has said that he does not mind playing in Miluakee, but the Chinese government seems intent on moving him elsewhere.

It's all really just stupid. If Yi was drafted by Miluakee, he should play for Miluakee. The Chinese government cannot dictate where Yi goes. Yi either plays for Miluakee, or he goes back to China. Period. David Stern really has to step in here and do something about this. We can't have players going around requesting trades because they are playing for a "small market." Stern needs to lay his foot down and say, Miluakee or China. If the Chinese government keeps interferring in the process, trying to get him traded elsewhere, Yi should just pack his bags and go home. This is really getting ridiculous. If players don't want to play in small cities, then why not move every NBA team to New York, or Los Angeles.

Small Chinese population my ass. Tony Parker plays in San Antonio, how many French people live in San Antonio? Dirk plays in Dallas, how many German people live in Dallas? China can't force the Bucks, an NBA franchise, to do anything. China also seems to think Yi Jianlian is Lebron James. Yi hasn't even stepped a foot on an NBA court, and struggled in the summer leagues. What happens when Yi turns into the next Wang Zhizhi after it's all said and done?

Also, what happens if Yi is traded to a team like the Lakers (an example). What happens when he struggles and is buried under guys like Lamar Odom and Luke Walton on the depth chart. Will the Chinese government complain about that too? What if Yi only averages 10 or 15 minutes per game. Will the Chinese government demand the Lakers give him more playing time, or force them to trade Yi? This is all just ridiculous. Yi is an NBA rookie and should be treated like an NBA rookie. Just because he comes from China does not mean he is any more special than anyone else</div>

Great post, but...David Stern interfere in this? I don't see it. Yi in L.A, NY, or Chicago > Yi in Milwaukee. It'll bring in a ton of money for the NBA...something Stern wants.

Milwaukee owns Yi's NBA rights, right? If I was Milwaukee I'd do what you suggested, tell Yi it's China or nothing. Can't Milwaukee block Yi from going to any other team?

5. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Mamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Great post, but...David Stern interfere in this? I don't see it. Yi in L.A, NY, or Chicago > Yi in Milwaukee. It'll bring in a ton of money for the NBA...something Stern wants.</div>
    But still, what type of example would it set for future NBA players? If Stern lets Yi (or his agents) get away with dictating where he's going to play, what type of example would it set for the future? What happens when someone like OJ Mayo is drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies. He doesn't want to play in Memphis, so his agent works out a trade to send him elsewhere. What will happen to the smaller market teams like Milwuakee and Memphis if players keep forcing their way to bigger markets like LA or New York? You might as well eliminate all the teams in the smaller markets, or move them all to LA or New York if nobody wants to play there

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Milwaukee owns Yi's NBA rights, right? If I was Milwaukee I'd do what you suggested, tell Yi it's China or nothing. Can't Milwaukee block Yi from going to any other team?</div>

I'm pretty sure Milwaukee owns his rights. I'm not sure if he signed a contract, but I'm pretty sure that his only options in the NBA currently is to play for the Bucks, unless they trade him. Otherwise, his only other option would be to go back to China

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Just for the record Brian, its not the Chinese Government that's creating this mess. It's his former team: the Guangdong Tigers. They know they're losing their most marketable player and they know he's on the verge of making major bucks in the US, so they're looking for one last payday. They hired his agent, Dan Fegan, and since the draft process started they have been looking to put him on a team in a big-market. That'd create more exposure and, as a result, more endorsement opportunities, which the Tigers would get a share of. The "small Chinese population" or "what's best for Yi's growth" explanations are just b.s. excuses. They're looking for money and are using Yi to get it.

7. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

who cares. Let him play out his contract then he can join the Bucks whenever that is. hes not that great of a player IMO.

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

LOL Yi's "commerical development" is too important. As a Warriors fan who has seen a lot of bad BS happen, I feel for you Bucks fans. It was a risk to take Yi, but I was just thinking it was a bluff by Yi's people. It's kind of like Steve Francis or that Orlando pick (where they drafted an international player but afterwards he out of nowhere decided that he's going to stay in Europe, I think his name is Vazquez) part two. Because of how Yi and his Chinese team is acting, I hope he stays and rots in China; though at the same time I definitley feel for you fans.

That guy has always seemed a bit fishy between controversey of his actual age, not competing against other players in workouts. the pre-draft commands of where he should be drafted, and now this. I am just curious if this is Yi in the decision making or just his people. Right now it seems like Yi doesn't want to play in the NBA. However as far as I have seen it seems as if a lot of this controversy may mainly rest in his reputation and the communist Chinese system and laws or whatever.

9. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Just for the record Brian, its not the Chinese Government that's creating this mess. It's his former team: the Guangdong Tigers. They know they're losing their most marketable player and they know he's on the verge of making major bucks in the US, so they're looking for one last payday. They hired his agent, Dan Fegan, and since the draft process started they have been looking to put him on a team in a big-market. That'd create more exposure and, as a result, more endorsement opportunities, which the Tigers would get a share of. The "small Chinese population" or "what's best for Yi's growth" explanations are just b.s. excuses. They're looking for money and are using Yi to get it.</div>

This account, as far as I know, is the most accurate. The CBA itself is just a business much like the NBA, and I think the gov't involvement so far, is minimal (contrary to what I previously believed). Although I WISH at this point the Chinese gov't would step in and "push" the team to let Yi play w/ Milwaukee (after all, Yi playing a year in the NBA is the best preparation he could have for the 08 olympics in Beijing). I'm losing hope in Yi, I wish he'd man up and say something and be more savvy in this respect like Yao was, anything to play in the NBA.

This cannot be good for Yi's image, even if he does come ot the NBA this year, or at some point later, he'll be carry the scarlet A on his chest.

10. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Complete BS. Basketball-wise, it's a GREAT opportunity. Who is competing with him for playing time other than Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva (who is coming off injuries)? Gazuric? Pshhhh.

I agree with all of the posts above except I do not want Yi to rot, because Milwaukee deserves better, and Yi deserves better.

I hope all the Chinese people boycott the CBA or storm the Guangdong Tigers' owners house, screw that *** over. Yi should seriously fire his agent.

Oh, and where the heck are Yi's parents...? They have no say, I haven't heard crap from them. Yao's parents were all over him...but Yi's parents aren't basketball players...

Anyway, I hope something big happens to counter this selfish move by the owner.

Can't Yao and Wang Zhizhi and Sun and everyone else do something about this? Yi is their teammate after all; they will need him, especially in Beijing 2008. If Yi will sit out an entire year - no NBA, no EuroBasket, no CBA for a year...he will totally rot. That will diminish the overall talent level of the Chinese National Team and set a bad example for all future Chinese players and a bad future for Chinese Basketball.

Yao and Wang Zhizhi and Sun and their teammates should attempt to ruse to quit the National Team or something to make something happen....sigh

11. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

You know what, if Yi's actually going to be eligible for the 2008 draft (screwing himself over), the Milwaukee Bucks might as well just draft him again for the spite of Chinese agent greediness.

Too bad greediness isn't a crime...wish we could arrest those darned Yi's agents and owners.

12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But still, what type of example would it set for future NBA players?
    </div>

NBA players have already done this, Steve Francis, Danny Ferry and others. In all honesty I think Milwakee should just trade the guy, I don't think he'll become a franchise player and the Bucks could get value for him now. See how many teams may be interested and ship him off.

13. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

Just like Blurr said, this isn't something new. This whole "refusing to play where I'm drafted" trend has been done a few times before. That Vasquez guy got drafted and decided to go back to Europe a couple years ago. Almost the exact same thing as Yi's situation. Francis demanded to be traded before, etc etc. This time Yi is receiving alot of attention just because he is Chinese. That's it.

I think it's not Yi personally that's being stubborn. He might have some personal bias about not wanting to play in Milwaukee, but I think most of the doing is from his agent and former team (Tigers).

Someone (Chutney I think) posted this link in a different thread:

Who's behind Yi's mess link

and I agree 100% with it. All other reports and articles I've read are consistent to that article. We should be smart and not follow the masses in blaming Yi or the Chinese gov't. The only thing I wouldn't agree there is picking Corey Brewer...

14. Really Lost One

I understand it has happened before, and it is wrong. That is why David Stern has to finally put his foot down and say no. We can't continue allowing these draftees to detirmine where they want to play. You are an NBA rookie. You haven't done a thing in the league yet. You get drafted to play basketball while earning millions of dollars per year. The least you can do is stay somewhat loyal and play with the team you are drafted by. If we continue to allow players to dictate where they want to go, or where they want to play, what's the use of having so many NBA teams? What's the use of having teams in Milwuakee, Memphis, or any other small market cities like Seattle? They already have a hard enough time trying to lure in free agents, the only thing they really have left is the draft. You take that away from them, what's left? Like I said before, you might as well just end these NBA franchises once in for all. There's no point of having teams in small markets if nobody is going to play there. What's the point. What's the point of having a draft if players can just dictate where they want to go. You might as well make them free agents and let them sign onto which ever team they want to play for. David Stern has to finally step in and end this nonsense

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I understand it has happened before, and it is wrong. That is why David Stern has to finally put his foot down and say no. We can't continue allowing these draftees to detirmine where they want to play. You are an NBA rookie. You haven't done a thing in the league yet. You get drafted to play basketball while earning millions of dollars per year. The least you can do is stay somewhat loyal and play with the team you are drafted by. If we continue to allow players to dictate where they want to go, or where they want to play, what's the use of having so many NBA teams? What's the use of having teams in Milwuakee, Memphis, or any other small market cities like Seattle? They already have a hard enough time trying to lure in free agents, the only thing they really have left is the draft. You take that away from them, what's left? Like I said before, you might as well just end these NBA franchises once in for all. There's no point of having teams in small markets if nobody is going to play there. What's the point. What's the point of having a draft if players can just dictate where they want to go. You might as well make them free agents and let them sign onto which ever team they want to play for. David Stern has to finally step in and end this nonsense</div>

Stern has more important matters to attend, like making sure player's shorts don't exceed the maximum length and player's look daper off the court.

Seriously, Stern is in a tough spot here. He's trying to expand the NBA into China because of the marketing power the league would benefit from, but he also needs to show support for the current system in place.

You're absolutely right, small market teams depend on the draft because it's hard for them to attract the superstar free agents.

The problem with the current NBA is the power the sports agent has over their players. They have really changed the landscape of the NBA by posturing their stable of players and using it as leverage to get deals done.

Stern is taking a wait and see approach. Hopefully this plays out in favor of the Bucks, because from Yi's comments it sounds like he genuinely wants to play for them.

16. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Report: Yi Jianlian won't sign with Bucks

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">BEIJING (AP) - Yi Jianlian has no plans to play for the Milwaukee Bucks.
    Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers - Yi's former team - said the six-foot-11 power forward will "definitely not" sign with Milwaukee and could be headed back to the Chinese Basketball Association.

"If the Bucks insist, Yi will go back to the CBA," Chen told the Chinese-language Beijing News on Tuesday.

Yi was the sixth player picked in the NBA draft and had his first meeting earlier this month with Bucks general manager Larry Harris and coach Larry Krystkowiak. His agent, Dan Fegan, has pushed for a trade and wants Yi in a city with a large Asian influence - or at least a larger city.

</div>

TSN

17. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

There's some rumors that Yi said in an interview at CCTV (Chinese channel) that he promised to come over to the Bucks and that they had a 3 year, 7 mill deal ready for him.

Can anyone confirm this?

18. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Newspaper stands by Yi Jianlian story

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">BEIJING (AP) - A Beijing newspaper on Thursday was investigating a story it published this week, quoting Chen Haitao - owner of the Guangdong Tigers basketball club - saying forward Yi Jianlian would "definitely not" sign with the Milwaukee Bucks.
    Yi was drafted No. 6 two weeks ago and is expected to be the fourth Chinese man to play in the NBA.

The Chinese-language Beijing News said it stood by its story, but a top Guangdong club official said it was untrue and the club had not talked with the newspaper.

Wang Jin, chief sports editor with the newspaper, told the Associated Press on Thursday that its story was accurate. He said the reporter involved conducted a telephone interview with Chen, who was quoted saying Yi might return to the Chinese Basketball Association.

</div>

TSN

19. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Why the f**k doesn't this guy speak for himself? He's a p**sy IMO.

20. fatballer_10

fatballer_10 JBB JustBBall Member

Bet Milwaukee are wishing they picked ANYONE else with the pick!!!

I can't see how this will end, but with a lot of teams interested, they should get good value for him, if they have to trade.

PS. I agree with you Bobcats. Be a man god damn it.
    PPS. Everything about this guy has been dodgy from day one. How good he is, how tall he is, what position he will play, how old he is and now where he will play. Enough already. He's a soap opera not a potential superstar.