Chris Bosh vs Jermaine O'Neal

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Flow, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Here's the premise: For one seven-game series, you can have one of the following two Eastern Conference All-Star power forwards who sometimes play more like a center -- Toronto's Chris Bosh or Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal. This is not presented as a long-term deal because, presumably, most everyone would take Bosh, who is just 22 and in his fourth season, over O'Neal, who is 29 and in his 11th. (Jermaine came into the NBA right after his graduation from middle school.)

Which player would you take for that one series?

Their numbers are similar. Bosh averages 22.8 points per game, O'Neal is at 19.8; that is predictable since Bosh's Raptors score more than O'Neal's Pacers. Bosh is a better percentage shooter, 50 percent to 44.5 percent, and they both shoot about 75 percent at the free throw line (even though O'Neal has a curious knee dip that begins and ends before he releases the shot). Both are demon rebounders (Bosh's 10.7 vs. O'Neal's 10.5) and adequate though not brilliant passers (O'Neal has the edge with 2.7 assists compared to Bosh's 2.3).

Both players know exactly who they are. O'Neal is a post-up guy who usually has his back to the basket. He doesn't step out and take perimeter shots (he hasn't even attempted a three-pointer this season), while Bosh has a little more face-up ability and an inclination to break down his defender off the dribble.

Bosh's long arms -- he is invariably referred to as "the long-armed Chris Bosh" -- make him a good defender. O'Neal, for his part, has made a conscious effort to become a shot-blocker/basket protector and it has paid off this season: He is blocking 3.05 shots per game, second only to Denver's Marcus Camby. That compares to Bosh's 1.22.

That last stat gets my attention. In a playoff series, when the action slows down, O'Neal will win a game or two himself with his low-post scoring, and he's going to be all over the place on defense. Plus, the Pacer does have a 70-0 lead over Bosh in playoff-game experience.

So I'll take O'NEAL in the seven-gamer, though Bosh may someday be an MVP. </div>

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...neal/index.html

2. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Fair assesment.

3. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

Completely agree. But over the long haul its not even close. Give Bosh some playoff experience and he will own. He also has to become better defensivly.

4. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Yea, I pretty much agree with the assessment, except I think they give Bosh a bit too much credit defensively. He's got great length and athleticism, but a player like Rasho has a stronger presence because they're less passive.

5. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

Bosh will have a much better career than JO.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">(Jermaine came into the NBA right after his graduation from middle school.)</div> [​IMG]

6. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

A fair assesment. I do however think Bosh's versatility and quickness and deep range helps strectch the defense and open areas for the other players.

7. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

JO is still a better offensive player, and he's miles ahead of Bosh on D. His numbers may not show it because of the system he plays in, but he is still the better player.

8. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Rasho takes up space, and is harder to move than Bosh.

Same thing with Jermaine, except Jermaine has more quickness and can jump higher than Rasho.

I think Bosh will be better than Jermaine (b/c Jermaine is getting older), and maybe a better team player, but I think physically Jermaine has a better basketball body, Bosh is the better jump shooter, however I think Jermaine individually is better.

Defensively in the post: Big edge Jermaine
    Defensively perimeter wise: slight edge Bosh
    Offensively in the post: Jermaine
    Offensively overall: Bosh

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Yea, in the post JO's obviously a better scorer. But in the overall sense, Bosh is a much tougher player to guard. He likes to use that drive from the elbow a lot, but he's hardly one-dimensional. He's developed 3 pt. range, a pretty quick spin move, and he's an aggressive rebounder on the offensive glass. And recently he's been passing out of the double team, which has always been his biggest weakness.

10. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    Those two are so fkin comparable.

Who would I pick for my NBA Finals 7 game series of them ? It pretty much depens from who I already have on my team.
    I still think that I would pick Jermaine.

11. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

<div class="quote_poster">XSV Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">JO is still a better offensive player, and he's miles ahead of Bosh on D. His numbers may not show it because of the system he plays in, but he is still the better player.</div>

I disagree...I think Bosh has the better offensive package. JO is a better post up player, but Bosh can do a lot more on the floor. On the defensive end, JO is obviously far better then Bosh, but he's also been in the league for over a decade.

12. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    I'm PRETTY sure, that CB4 will be better than JO in his prime.

13. cb4_franchise

cb4_franchise JBB JustBBall Member

CB4 is simply a pleasure to watch.... wow wow wow wow..
    Give this kid 2 -3 more years, he will be wicked.. if he continues to work hard as he is right now.
    considering the fact that most great players hit their prime around 28yrs ... MJ was amazing around 28 - 29yrs.... Kobe is doing the samething now around 28yrs old.
    CB4 will definetely be a MVP of this league one day ... sooner than expected.