[Chronicle] Rockets land Scola, deal Spanoulis to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Run BJM, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Spurs have agreed to trade center Jackie Butler and Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round pick and cash considerations, an NBA source said Thursday evening.</div>

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories...n.6be36230.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Houston Chronicle:</div><div class="quote_post">
    LAS VEGAS -- The Rockets took their search for a power forward around the planet and found just what they wanted available down the road.

The Rockets completed a deal to land forward Luis Scola, one of the stars of Argentina's 2004 gold medal winning Olympic team and twice the MVP of the Spanish league, sending guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick and cash to the Spurs for Scola and reserve center Jackie Butler.
    </div>

link

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

[SA Express News]: Traded Spanoulis for Scola, Butler

Looks like a very good deal. Spanoulis probably wouldn't have played for us, so we could potentially have gotten 2 PFs for nothing here. Scola may require a costly buyout, though.

3. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

Excellent move, I am afraid of Scola's contract situation in Spain, however. But if he's willing to play for us, I am stoked. Morey, you quiet ninja, you.

4. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

Im nuetral on this one. We still don't have a starting PF yet. Chuck Hayes, Jackie Butler and the rookie aren't gonna get the job done at PF. We're gonna need a starter.

5. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Im nuetral on this one. We still don't have a starting PF yet. Chuck Hayes, Jackie Butler and the rookie aren't gonna get the job done at PF. We're gonna need a starter.</div>

The Rockets apparently feel they can get Scola to play for us next year. He's considered one of the best players in Europe -- a former Spanish league MVP. He's a very skilled offensive player, and he's not a pushover on defense either. There's your starting PF.

And Jackie Butler will be a solid backup C/PF for us. He didn't play at all with the Spurs last season because they're already stacked, but he was quite effective the year before in New York. And he's only 22.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

Well that makes me wonder if he'll even suit up for them, but I do think the Spurs probably see potential in him. I really hope he doesn't play for them and turn into a solid guard.

7. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

DM the GM sounded optimistic
    Great move if Scola comes over

8. foo82

foo82 JBB JustBBall Member

I love Morey.

9. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

I'm a fan of both the Rockets and the Lakers...so good trade to address the PF situation here in Houston...now its a shame we have a retard at the helm in LA...Mitch looks stoned half the time btw

10. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets apparently feel they can get Scola to play for us next year. He's considered one of the best players in Europe -- a former Spanish league MVP. He's a very skilled offensive player, and he's not a pushover on defense either. There's your starting PF.</div>
    So ur tellin me that we've settled on starting a rookie at PF (from Europe & 2nd pick), who's supposed to compete with Duncan, Stoudamire, Dirk & Boozer when playoff time comes around. Um yea, ok[​IMG] I think Morey is really selling himself short with this one. I hope we're still involved in trade talks, because this move does absolutley NOTHIN for us at PF. We're gonna need a solid veteran, and a starting a rookie is only gonna set us back a few years.

11. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

for future's sake, its great to get these two. But we're gonna suck this coming season if our PF rotation looks like this.

12. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

n/m</p>

13. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So ur tellin me that we've settled on starting a rookie at PF (from Europe & 2nd pick), who's supposed to compete with Duncan, Stoudamire, Dirk & Boozer when playoff time comes around. Um yea, ok[​IMG] I think Morey is really selling himself short with this one. I hope we're still involved in trade talks, because this move does absolutley NOTHIN for us at PF. We're gonna need a solid veteran, and a starting a rookie is only gonna set us back a few years.</div>

What are some solid veterans that you'd be more comfortable with in the playoffs. Just list them, and we can discuss how much it would cost us to acquire them.

Scola isn't just a "rookie." He's a veteran of the Spanish league and considered to be one of the top professional players not currently in the NBA. We're not talking about a 20-year old project from overseas. You saying he'd do "absolutely NOTHIN" for our PF situation is foolish.

14. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

[​IMG]Spanoulis is gone, Spanoulis is gone![​IMG]

Spurs = [​IMG]

15. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I'll post reactions to this trade from writers on the web as I come across them.

Tom Ziller, reputable NBA blogger, wrote the following entry on his aol sports blog:

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tom Ziller:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And we have our first blockbuster trade of the offseason: the Houston Chronicle reports the Rockets have acquired Argentine power forward Luis Scola and fellow big dude Jackie Butler from San Antonio in exchange for Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second round pick, and cash.

Scola is the best big outside of the NBA by a fair margin. He was the Euroleague MVP this year, and he was a huge part of Argentina's 2004 gold in Athens. He's an absolute stud by all accounts, he's 27, and he's going to be cheap for a few seasons.

We should never doubt R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich... but I'm stunned they made this deal. Scola wasn't in their plans, given the melding of Fabricio Oberto in the rotation and the continued brilliance of Tim Duncan. But you'd think they could pull more in return than a guard who has sworn off the NBA and next year's #50something pick. As I said, Scola is a beast. His rights had to have been valuable.

Even more, dealing with Houston is dangerous. Does Rick Adelman really need one more weapon at his disposal? San Antonio's getting cocky... and it could haunt them in times to come.
    </div>

Rockets Get Luis Scola from Spurs

16. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]Spanoulis is gone, Spanoulis is gone![​IMG]

Spurs = [​IMG]</div>

Lmao[​IMG] , I can tell you didn't like him very much.

17. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

I love this trade. I haven't really seen him play that much but all I've heard about him from everyone is that he is the best player out there outside the NBA. wooo hooo!

18. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What are some solid veterans that you'd be more comfortable with in the playoffs. Just list them, and we can discuss how much it would cost us to acquire them.</div>
    Joe Smith
    Kenyon Martin
    Corey Blount
    Mark West
    Udonis Haslem
    Chris Webber
    Brendan Haywood
    Mark Jackson

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Scola isn't just a "rookie." He's a veteran of the Spanish league and considered to be one of the top professional players not currently in the NBA. We're not talking about a 20-year old project from overseas. You saying he'd do "absolutely NOTHIN" for our PF situation is foolish.</div>
    You act like since he's some star overseas he'll automatically transfer his starpower in the NBA (now that's foolish). The fact is he's a "project". Right now we can't afford any "projects" at that position. Especially in the Western Conference where we'll see a tough match up almost every night. If this is our final move of the offseason, then we've sold ourselves short.

19. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Dude, it's mid-July and two days after free agent signings have begun. The Rockets still have the MLE to spend. You think we'll just sit on it?

Even if Scola would ultimately become the starting power forward, it still won't be the end of the day. The Raptors went foreign last year and look what they got. If Scola can produce at even just the level of Jorge Garbojosa, it'd be a very efficient deal. Supposedly Scola is a much better player too, so he might be even better.

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Wow. You guys pulled off a major steal with this trade, getting a quality big off the bench and a legit starter for a player who didn't want to play for you anymore. I can't believe the Spurs settled for so little. The buyout issue is complicated, but if you can get him over this season than you guys got an excellent starting lineup. Rock4life, Scola is better than all of the players you listed and honestly, he's going to be a great compliment to Yao.