Rumor CJ McCollum for Jahlil Okafor

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    This isn't so much of a rumor as it is something that has been proposed back East by numerous writers and Blogsites. This is the latest: http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/1/26/10833940/trade-proposal-portland-philadelphia

There have been a number of others and now BlazersEdge is picking up the conversation as well. http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/1/2...azers-jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-sixers-76ers

There are certainly some reasons Pro and Con but it is at least interesting that this KEEPS COMING up and it's from back there.
    • Would this balance out the roster more?
    • How does the extra two years of additional cap space help out if at all?
    • Do you like Okafor more at C or PF and which would be his best opposite C/PF on the current roster?
    • CJ is the better player right now even though Okafor is the younger player w/possibly more potential. Is straight across enough?

Eastoff likes this.
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Very intriguing, but if you want your post to hold any weight or have ANY credibility whatsoever, don't mention that BlazersEdge has picked it up. That's not helping your case son.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Neil should hold out for a draft pick.

Eastoff and TBpup like this.
  4. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Okafor is a worse defender than CJ (I expect them both to improve but Okafor would really have to improve!). We can't have guys in the paint that just let the other team have free reign to the rim.

I don't think this is the trade of CJ (not even convinced we want to move him) that we are looking for. In fact, I would say Noel is a better player to target than Okafor (still not sure I would pull the trigger though).

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    FWIW: 69% of Liberty Ballers say "NO".

6. brendanjames

brendanjames Active Member

I wouldn't. I'm not in favour of trading CJ til we see a ceiling

7. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm not crazy about bad defending bigs.

8. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Why, when we finally have a 2nd scorer next to Dame, maybe the best 2nd option we have since I can remember, we want to trade him? Why? And for someone who just lately had issues with violence? how is this rational? "We have an amazing player. Great, lets trade him!".... I just don't get it

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Here is a solid article on Okafor's defense. http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/1/2...azers-jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-sixers-76ers There is way more than the quote below and this is the more positive side of his Defense.

He's allowing opponents to convert just 47.5 percent of shots against him at the rim, which ... is on par with alleged defensive studs such as Dwight Howard,Roy Hibbert, Clint Capela, Nerlens Noel. That may be in part because Okafor has held his own down low. Nobody has defended a higher volume of attempts in the post than Jah this season, who has allowed 48.4 percent shooting on such looks... Okafor may not have the vertical lift of a Hassan Whiteside or Andre Drummond, but he uses his combination of a stocky build and 7-5 wingspan to shut down the paint. Jahlil is already a prodigy when it comes to the ever-so-glamorous art of bodying post behemoths and keeping those hands up.

As you would expect they would. He's a rookie putting up 17/7 at 20 years old under a very inexpensive contract for several more years. You would also expect Blazer fans to want to keep CJ who has blossomed into a 20 ppg scorer. Rarely do fans want to trade their player unless he is an absolute scrub....but if that was who was being offered, Okafor wouldn't be in the discussion.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

It would be tough, but I think you'd have to make that trade. Okafor is a stud prospect in his own right and will be cheap for another three years. Helps with the salary cap situation for future years.

But it would be tough. I don't think Neil does it, as situated now, Neil can sit back and bask in drafting McCollum with him becoming a Stud, and likely keeps his job.

If he traded mcollum and okafor ended up sucking for us, he would get fired

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Hmmm.... intriguing. I'm not sure how I feel though. If we were to trade CJ, I'd really like to get an established player.

Strenuus likes this.
  12. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    So are you suggesting, TBPup, that perhaps Okafor's defense looks worse than it is in part because he's on the worst team in the league?

To quote the wise old sage Bugs Bunny: Hmmmm......could be!

Red Rooster, Eastoff and TBpup like this.
  13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

If as a rookie he is on the same plane of defending at the rim as Howard, teammate defensive demon Noel, Roy Hibbert, etc, that would seem like perhaps he certainly has a good foundation from which to build from.

Nikolokolus and Eastoff like this.
  14. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

There are a lot of defensive stats. You are pointing out merely one.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/1/12/10754296/jahlil-okafor-nerlens-noel-breakdown-nba-76ers
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-beat-podcast-what-do-we-make-okafors-defense/ (haven't found a transcript for it though so you may or may not choose to listen to it all.)

http://bkref.com/tiny/j73NR (check out DRtg, DWS and DBPM (ouch on this one!)

He is not a good overall defender at this point. I don't see how it can even be argued otherwise.

And I already stated that I expect him to improve but he would have to really improve.

Darkwebs likes this.
  15. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it if it CJ was in the discussion of the trade. But i do like Okafor since college but it would have to a different package before I would agree and you know that won't happen.

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I said last week that this would one that we would have to consider. At least Okafor is a solid player and because he is not a big leaper, will probably be good for another 12 years. He is only 20.

But I really enjoy watching CJ play.

What it comes down to for me is who is harder to find? Can we find another CJ if we trade for Okafor, or is it easier to find another Okafor if we keep CJ. They both are pretty skilled offensively for their position.

Eastoff likes this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in Noel. Can we get him without giving up CJ lol. Maybe our first rounder+something else?

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think it would be interesting to see how Alexander and Okafor would play together, having been high school rivals and all. A big-man triumvirate of Okafor/Vonleh/Alexander would have a lot of potential. We'd also be 85% likely to keep our pick next year too, IMO.

19. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Philly's DRtg as a team is 107; Okafur's DRtg as a player is 108... he's below average for his team.

BBert likes this.
  20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Oh happy day! Another losing season to look forward to. ;)