CJ McCollum video

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by mook, Sep 25, 2016.

1. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com

The eye opener to me was the shot chart. I hadn't realized he's better off taking the elbow shot than the layup. In the modern NBA that's really peculiar.

2. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Definitely top 3 sg. I would take him over klay or harden any day. Creates his shot in a variety of ways I don't think klay or harden have the iq to do. Lacks defense but he's gonna be an all star one day.

3. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Freaking love CJs game.
    It's so refreshing to see a guy that doesn't have to rely on other-worldy athleticism to make a play; instead relying on IQ and craftiness.

I've always enjoyed watching guys of that style (like Strickland for eg.). Guys who outsmart more athletic opponents, and make the game more beautiful to watch. . .

HailBlazers likes this.
  4. Nhawz

Nhawz Lickety Brindle

Brandon Roy.

HailBlazers and theprunetang like this.
  5. Cippy91

I can see that. He has the mid range game. Better handles than Roy. I think his finishing ability is right up there.

6. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Until he hit his growth spurt, CJ was an absolute midget for a very long time. When you play in the land of the giants, you learn to use your IQ and to be crafty or you don't play much. I'm sure CJ didn't appreciate it at the time, but being a physically late bloomer most likely was a big factor in him becoming the player he is today.....and you are absolutely correct; his game is a joy to watch....at least offensively.

riverman likes this.
  7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Oh come on. That's CJ's biggest weakness on offense. He can't finish through traffic at all and certainly not as well as Roy could would either hand.

8. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

Roy forced his shot quite often and had some terrible shooting nights. CJ always plays within himself and is a very willing passer.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

?
    Here are both of their third seasons. Arguably, BRoy's best season in his career in 08-09, and easily CJ's best season so far.

Roy: 37 mpg, 22.6 pts, 4.7 reb, 5.1 ast, 48% FG, 38% 3pt, 57.3% TS%, 24 PER

CJ: 35 mpg, 20.8 pts, 3.2 reb, 4.3 ast, 45% FG, 42% 3pt, 54.4 % TS%, 18PER

Where does this notion of Roy forcing come from? It was the offense that was so antiquated and forced Roy to go one on one every damn time. And tbh, it wasn't that bad since BRoy was unstoppable in single coverage. He was the absolute emblem of efficiency. Hell, I'd say CJ and his possessions where he dribbles for 12 seconds without going anywhere is annoying to watch.

dviss1 likes this.
  10. Cippy91

Yeah you're right. After this video I went and watched B Roy highlights. Definitely better finisher but I stand by CJ being a better shot creator. It's odd. B Roy is one of the most loved past blazers ever and you forget sometimes he barely played in the league and how great his game actually was.

11. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Roy got love from the refs on those drives. CJ gets crickets. If CJ got half the whistles Roy got, his PER would have been 21+

Wizard Mentor, BBert and Eastoff like this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

CJ as a tweener has found a way to make his game work...his IQ is off the charts...and even better, he knows his weakness is defense and works on it...he said after the second round against the Warriors that he aspires to be a two way player like Klay Thompson....that's a smart goal. If he could pass really well, he might even become a Rod Strickland type guard but I see no comparison with BRoy except that they learned to have success within their limits..BRoy had some really ugly shooting games and was much more confident driving the lane than pulling up and hitting the 18 ft jumper. CJ has a little bit of Iverson's fearlessness and confidence....both never hesitated to shoot and neither like to pump fake that much. CJs crossover step back is looking more and more like Jamal Crawford's...ankle breakers!

dviss1 and BlazerCaravan like this.
  13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'm looking forward to seeing wher CJ takes his game this season. Last year was his first as a starter and I thought that he was feeling his way figuring out when to defer to Dame and when to push it himself. I think that was more comfortable by the end of the season. Hopefully, he can build on last year and elevate to being a star in his own right.

Eastoff likes this.
  14. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

CJ has this hesitation stutter step drive that once he gets the defender off balance and gets by them, he does this jab-stepback fadeaway J that is IDENTICAL to BRoy...... I love it!

15. BlazerCaravan

CJ's crossover and stutter step is the most amazing I've seen in 30 years of watching the NBA. He's a damned surgeon the way he cuts down a defender.

BBert likes this.
  16. THE HCP

Wow, I love him too, but that's saying a lot. Don't you remember Tim Hardaway? Shit Jamal Crawford's cross is pretty sick as well.

riverman likes this.
  17. BlazerCaravan

CJ's crossover is as good as Timmy's, and frankly more varied. Crawford's is good too but he doesn't have the speed.

It's okay to love Tim (he was hella hard to defend) and I have fond memories of him, but CJ is doing things that And1 guys would get pissed off about.

18. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Gilbert Arena had a sick cross over.

19. THE HCP

Man, team allegiance just makes people blind sometimes I think. Like I said, love my guy CJ, BUT TIM HARDAWAY'S XOVER WAS NASTY!!!!!!

riverman and dviss1 like this.
  20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

It's different than Timmy's (and I watched A LOT of Tim. He was my favorite player of all time) Tim played with more strength than CJ. His crossover was quicker. But he'd make 1 move and go whereas CJ dribbles a bit too much and it takes a little bit more for him to get open. I'd compare him more to prime Van Exel than Roy or Hardaway.