Clippers Acquire Kerry Kittles

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by Avery, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Los Angeles Clippers today acquired veteran shooting guard Kerry Kittles from the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a future second round draft pick. Kittles, who led New Jersey to consecutive NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003, holds career averages of 14.3 points and 2.6 assists per game during his eight year career.

?We are very pleased to announce the addition of Kerry Kittles, who is a talented player with a great work ethic,? said Clippers Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. ?Kerry plays hard on both ends of the floor and has a great feel for the game. He is also a veteran player who brings a tremendous amount of playoff experience to our roster.?

Drafted by New Jersey with eighth overall selection in the 1996 NBA Draft, Kittles played in all 82 regular season games for the third time in his career last season and averaged 13.1 points and 4.0 rebounds per game. Kittles was also named the Atlantic Division Winner for the 2003-04 NBA Sportsmanship Award, a distinction also bestowed on Clippers forward Elton Brand, who was the recipient of the Pacific Division Award.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

2. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

2nd round draft pick for Kerry Kittles? Isn't his contract expiring after this season? Seems like a steal for the Clips but also does this mean that Clippers let Q walk?

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

atleast they didnt give up wilcox..a 2nd round pick isnt bad, but Q is better than Kittles

4. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

If this means that the Clippers now will not match the offer sheet of Q-Rich, then this has to be another of one of the worst moves in franchise history. He is aging and has a pretty big contract and will no subsitute for Q. However, if they still somehow manage to match the offer sheet, this will be a good pick-up because they are getting a solid backup who is a good 3-pt shooter (something that this team has been missing since the loss of Eric Piatkowski) for just a second round pick. But if they don't match the offer for Q, then this is just another stop on the way to lotteryland next year.

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sactomofo:</div><div class="quote_post">If this means that the Clippers now will not match the offer sheet of Q-Rich, then this has to be another of one of the worst moves in franchise history. He is aging and has a pretty big contract and will no subsitute for Q. However, if they still somehow manage to match the offer sheet, this will be a good pick-up because they are getting a solid backup who is a good 3-pt shooter (something that this team has been missing since the loss of Eric Piatkowski) for just a second round pick. But if they don't match the offer for Q, then this is just another stop on the way to lotteryland next year.</div>

I agree, if this means we won't be resigning Q it will end up being a horrible one for us fans. I've really been counting on the Clippers to resign Q and keep that core together, and now it's looking like they'll fail me again. It's tough being a Clipper fan, especially when the management keeps making stupid moves and keeps pissing us off. Sometimes I hate being a Clipper fan.

6. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

The Clippers are getting alot of character, KK was the defintion of a team player here in New Jersey over the last past 8 seasons. KK didnt always get his proper respect here because his offense skill really fell off his 1st couple of years when he came out of Villinova. And then he hit another wall when he missed the 00' season due to injury. But KK is a very underratted on-ball defender, he we knock down his fair share of big perimeter shots, but like I said his character above all. I dont know if the Clips plan on resigning after this season, I doubt but the Clips are getting a solid ball player & a team player, something a young team can use to influence those around him.

7. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

With 1 day left (I think), this almost certainly means that they won't match Q. Kittles give them a shooter, someone with D, a guy who can run the break and someone who can score with an expiring contract. Though the contract doesn't do them much good because he's going to leave in the next offseason and the cap space doesnt help the Clippers because nobody comes to LA to play for them. But nice addition.

8. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

It's now official, the Clippers have decided not to match Phoenix's offer for Quentin Richardson. And the clippers wonder why they are always the joke of the league. Baylor needs to go.

9. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

why does Baylor need to go? Doesnt Sterling make the decisions on who is signed, resigned and all that crap?

10. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

The Clips doesn't have plans of matching Q so they got the best available option for a 2nd rounder. They'll have more cap space next season. It is a steal for the Clippers.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1848638

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Clippers have informed Richardson, a restricted free agent, that they will not match the Phoenix Suns' six-year, $42.6 million offer sheet, two league sources told ESPN Insider's Chad Ford</div>

[​IMG] Kittles for a second round pick [​IMG], and though Q is gone, htis could be decent. I wonder who are the FA guards next season?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kittles, who makes $10.3 million this season, is in the last year of his contract. With Kittles and Marko Jaric coming off the books next summer, the Clippers would have max cap room to play with again next year.</div>

EDIT: I just thought of an idea, go after RJ with the max next year, it likely won't happen because the Nets would obviously match, but:

PG - Livingston
    SG - Maggette
    SF - Jefferson
    PF - Brand
    C - Kaman
    with Wilcox off the bench would be a pretty nice lineup for the present and future.

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    2nd round pick WTF??[​IMG]

C'mon, Kittles obviously is more than even a first-rounder. Because of Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin, Kittles has been delegated to the fourth option on offense in New Jersey the past three seasons. People have forgotten that he can still be a prolific scorer when given a bigger role on offense. I'm sure his experience and wisdom gained from the experience would make Clipper fans forget about Q in no time.

13. LACneedGRIZZARD

LACneedGRIZZARD JBB JustBBall Member

This is great.. You get a guy who will be a great leader for the next season, help Livingston turn into a good pro. More than likely he'll drop and become a free agent, then you can pick up the likes of:

Jason Richardson
    Bonzi Wells
    Michael Redd
    Richard Jefferson
    Cuttino Mobley
    Joe Johnson
    Doug Christie
    Matt Harpring
    Andrei Kirilenko

This is a great move in my opinion.

14. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

The Nets absolutely got raped in this deal. I mean c'mon this guy averaged 14.3ppg 3.9rpg 2.6apg 33.6mpg over his 7 year career, He has played awesome every since he hit the league and he definitely worth more than a pick, and they got him for a 2nd round pick too.. But bad decision on letting Q walk.

Kerry Kittles is a thug..
    [​IMG]

15. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I dont uderstand why the Clipps didnt match PHX's offer,I mean would they rather have Kerry Kittles then Q Rich?Maybe they are trying to save money for next year for another FA.

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jason Richardson
    Bonzi Wells
    Michael Redd
    Richard Jefferson
    Cuttino Mobley
    Joe Johnson
    Doug Christie
    Matt Harpring
    Andrei Kirilenko</div>
    They better got after Joe Johnson, Ronald Murray, and Richard Jefferson.
    Ray Allen is also an FA, but I wouldn't want to give him a big contract.
    Kirilenko is not going anywhere, that should be settled already, and Larry Hughes is also a Free Agent next year, but I wouldn't want him, JJ would be great, but the Suns won't let him go easy by any manner.

Matt Harpring and Micahel Redd's contracts don't expire next season, they're signed for 2005/2006, and Redd will likely get an extension.

17. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

This is a great pickup for the Clipps. They needed a shooter in their lineup and Kittles fits this mold. While he doesn't provide the athleticism of Q, Kittles at least uses what he has on the defensive end. What the Clippers have essientially done is maintain quality at SG while not commiting to any contracts. This should put them in position in Free Agency next year while still being able to compete this year

18. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

nice pickup...yall robbed NJ blindfolded on this one...

19. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Kittles is an underrated player and he could help out the Clippers in several ways. He's got quick hands and can rob you if you aren't paying attention.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tripl3:</div><div class="quote_post">nice pickup...yall robbed NJ blindfolded on this one...</div>
    The Nets are getting used to that. Just look at the Kenyon Martin situation, and now they gave up one of their starters for a second round pick.

The Nets must be looking foward to these upcoming drafts. [​IMG]

20. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

The Nets did get robbed horribly, BTW do you guys think Kittles has hit his prime yet or no will it be a Cassell situation???