Congrats Kobe: Youngest Player to 10,000 Points

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by LaBballFan, Mar 5, 2003.

1. LaBballFan

LaBballFan JBB JustBBall Member

One month after being only the third player to average 40 points for a full month (joining Wilt and Elgin), Kobe becomes the first player get to 10,000 points before turning 25. Congratulations Kobe

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Congrats now get the W damn it!

3. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

Congrats Kobe.

4. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

T-Mac won't be able to catch Kobe...

7896 points so far...9 months to catch up...he can't do it =T even at the ridiculous scoring pace he is at right now (he has roughly 1800 points through this season) he still wouldn't be able to catch up due to off-season time i don't think...because it would take him almost an entire season to get the 2000 points...

Maybe LeBron can...we all know he'll be starting and getting the ball from the very start but his shot has to improve dramatically for him to be able to score in bunches in the NBA...

5. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

T-mac will score 10k by next year, he can't do it now

6. SCBrian

yup he will have 10K by the end of next year but to beat Kobe...he needs to do it by December...which means he'd hafta do it 2 months from the start of the season...and thats not gonna happen...

by my estimates that time frame gives him about 48-50 games before that 9 months is up...(including the roughly 20 regular season games left this season + 10 playoff games) so he's gonna hafta average over 35ppg to catch up...i dont think it'll happen

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

don't forget mcgrady is a year younger than kobe...

8. SCBrian

its 9 months...not a year...so like i said t-mac needs to do it by the beginning of december of next year...(kobe was born on the 23rd of august, t-mac on the 24th of may so almost exactly 9 months)

regular season doesnt start until the end of October and they play about 16 games per month...so 2 games in October for Orlando, 16 games in November, and say 3 games in December before the 7th or wutever date he has to beat it by...

with exactly 20 games left in this season...and say the Magic play a generous 15 games in the playoffs...that is 56 games for T-Mac

10,000 - 7,896 = 2,104

2,104 / 56 = 37.6 ppg

= not gonna happen

9. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

Congratulations Kobe!

10. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "SCBrian":</div><div class="quote_post">its 9 months...not a year...so like i said t-mac needs to do it by the beginning of december of next year...(kobe was born on the 23rd of august, t-mac on the 24th of may so almost exactly 9 months)

regular season doesnt start until the end of October and they play about 16 games per month...so 2 games in October for Orlando, 16 games in November, and say 3 games in December before the 7th or wutever date he has to beat it by...

with exactly 20 games left in this season...and say the Magic play a generous 15 games in the playoffs...that is 56 games for T-Mac

10,000 - 7,896 = 2,104

2,104 / 56 = 37.6 ppg

= not gonna happen</div>

why not? T-mac is just as explosive as kobe. i could see him averageing close to 40 for a couple months. kobe did it for one month/

11. SCBrian

no...he won't...

does that answer your question? do you know how much it would take to raise his scoring average by 7 pgg...even just for a period of 3 months...do the math man...its very improbable...not impossible but its just one of those things that won't happen...

12. Shapecity

It's going to be close to impossible for T-Mac to catch Kobe. With the additions of Gooden & Giricek and possibly Grant Hill trying to play next season, T-Mac's scoring role will be reduced. The key to Kobe's streak was all the post-season games he played in. Unless the Magic can make it to the conference finals and play 7 times in each series, I don't see T-Mac getting it done.

LeBron possibly has a chance.

I still can't believe Jermaine O'neal & Kobe have been in the league for 7 years.

13. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

im not talking about his scoring average for this year genius. im saying he has a great chance t beat kobe to 10,000. in fact even if he gets 10000 shortly after kobe it willstill be considered more impressive than kobes feat because of all the games tMac has lost to injury. kobe is a youth phenom but dont fool yourself into thinking hell become an all time great. anyone who compares him to jordan or bird should be shot

14. Shapecity

I think Kobe's feat is more impressive because he's scoring and winning championships. I think Kobe will be considered an All Time Great when he retires. I also think T-Mac will be considered an All Time Great as well.

Kobe
    T-Mac
    KG
    Yao

These are the future superstars for the league.

15. SCBrian

i wasn't talking about his scoring average for this year either...i was saying to boost up his average in general to 37ppg for a 3 month period of time...'genius'...you are so stupid it is not even funny...kobe is already considered an all-time great...he is for sure better then Bird and closing fast on Jordan...

kobe took 473 career games to get to 10,000

T-Mac has played in 401 to date...so yes by the time T-Mac hits 473 games he shoud have been able to hit 10,000 points...that would put him at 29.2 ppg average over those 72 games...which he is more then capable of achieving...more impressive? i don't think so...T-Mac hasn't had a guy averaging 28 ppg on his team since he's emerged as a star the way Kobe has...T-Mac has the luxury of being option 1 2 and 3 night in and night out...Kobe sometimes has to play second fiddle to Shaq and he accepts that as part of his role on teh team...so no its not more impressive and anyone who refuses to recognize the greatness of both T-Mac and Kobe...should be shot...

16. SCBrian

i was wrong...t-mac has no chance at all of catching up to kobe...

career points and playoff points are separated...

therefore subtract those 15 games in the playoffs i said T-mac may have to catchup...and ur left with 41 games...

2104 points / 41 games = 51.3 ppg..

so who wants to say T-Mac is gonna do it now?

17. LaBballFan

LaBballFan JBB JustBBall Member

T Mac can't do it

Absolutely no way

To be honest I saw only one LeBron's game and he was preety good.
    LeBron is 18 and if heis going to be first option in his team in his rookie year and if he is really gonna be good then I think LeBron can do it.
    I think Kobe is the player who scored the most points in the high school and LeBron is very close.

18. jdub

jdub JBB JustBBall Member

thats a pretty amazing accomplishment

19. SCBrian

i think kobe holds the pennsylvania state high school scoring record...

i think lebron holds the one in ohio but im not sure...

20. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

I don't want to take away anything from Kobe but this accomplishment doesn't really mean much. he may be the youngest but nowhere near the fewest amount of games to do it. He is tyed for 47th in amount of games to reach 10,000 with Grant Hill. I'm not sure of the 3's but Wilt has about 270 and Kobe has about 400.