OT Conor McGregor has until Sunday to agree to Dana White’s terms for Floyd Mayweather fight

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, May 11, 2017.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mmam...y-dana-white-terms-for-floyd-mayweather-fight

[​IMG]
    Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Sounds like Dana White is getting sick of all this Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather talk too. Yesterday, the UFC president made a point of saying he was willing to walk away from the fight if negotiations took too long. How long is too long? You'd figure with a potential billion dollar fight would result in some patience, but apparently not. In a new interview with Jim Rome, White put this Sunday as his deadline for locking things up with McGregor.

“I plan on having this thing locked up by this Sunday and then moving on to Team Mayweather and start to negotiate with them,” White said. “If we really do get it done in that time frame, then this thing could possibly happen. Again, I still have to go negotiate with them. There’s no guarantee that we’re going to come to a deal.”

“I think they are pretty good,” White said when asked how negotiations were going with Conor. “Hopefully Monday I’m going to sit down and negotiate with Team Mayweather. I just can’t keep messing with this thing, I have to run my business and I have to focus on all the other things that are going on around here.”

A strange attitude to take when Mayweather vs. McGregor would likely make the UFC more money than all the company's other pay-per-views this year combined. But who knows, maybe all the recent UFC screw ups, from Georges St-Pierre's cancelled comeback to Anderson Silva pulling out of UFC 212, are on account of White having his eye on the wrong thing?

It's almost soothing to imagine that as what's been going on, that everything will start running smoothly again after this week when White can concentrate solely on UFC stuff. Big main events will be signed, UFC fighters won't be threatening to retire and strike, and the big stories can start being about the fighting in the cage rather than the fights outside.

2. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Oh Magoo, you've done it again

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I assume the BGD algorithm saw May and weather and thought this belonged in a Portland forum...?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

I am a HUGE fan of mma and have to side with Dana on this one. Conor took time off because he had a kid, this mayweather fight has been talked about for quite a while now. If it's gonna happen, make it happen. Stop messing around with fans as well as keeping the divisions held up in the UFC which Conor is doing considering he hasn't defended a title yet and has been given so much leeway to do whatever because he brings in a lot of money. I am done with the talk, either there is a fight or there isn't.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  5. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Im actually pretty excited for this, as gimmicky as it is. Floyd Mayweather is no fun to watch, period. But adding an "outsider" into the equation that wont fall into his conventional boxing traps makes it intriguing, and given Floyds record it could really be the fight of the century.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    As long as the match is Boxing and not MMA, Conor will get destroyed. He will get paid, but he will get destroyed.

7. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I'm not so sure. I think Floyd would win, but Floyd doesnt have any power, he never knocks anyone out, Conor does. Conor can take punches, but can Floyd?

BigGameDamian likes this.
  8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Floyd won't have to. Conor won't be able to catch him cleanly.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  9. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Floyd is 40 and slowing down. Conor is 28 and in the prime of his career. I think Conor can catch him more than we think.

10. BigGameDamian

11. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...fight won't happen :crystalball:

12. BigGameDamian

13. BigGameDamian

14. BigGameDamian

://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2711839.amp.html

[​IMG]

Oscar De La Hoya Slams Potential Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'Circus'
    Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya penned an open letter Thursday calling on fans to boycott a potential fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor out of respect for the sport of boxing.

"To my fellow boxing fans, I write in the hopes that together we can protect the sport of boxing," De La Hoya wrote, per ESPN.com's Dan Rafael. "With each passing day, it looks more and more likely that the circus known as Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor will be coming to town in the near future. As undercard fights start to take form, athletic commissions give their blessings in exchange for millions of dollars, and the fighters start counting even more cash, one group will eventually be left to make sure this farce doesn't occur—we, the fans, who are the lifeblood of our sport."

Mayweather and McGregor have been in negotiations regarding a potential boxing match for months. It would mark the first time McGregor, currently the most famous mixed martial artist in the world, has stepped inside a professional boxing ring.

Mayweather, who is currently retired, would be going for a 50-0 career record and said he is looking for a nine-figure payday to return to the ring.

UFC president Dana White, who said the McGregor side of negotiations are done, recently said he's worried his promotion's biggest star may never fight again should this deal go down.

“Let me tell you what, the other problem is if this thing goes down, you know, Conor could make anywhere from $60 to $70 million,” White told Snoop Dogg on GGN News. “What I think happens is, and Floyd is gonna make a hundred or whatever, however the thing plays out, I mean, how do you come back and fight for $8, $9, $10 million?”

De La Hoya criticized the potential bout as little more than a cash grab for both sides.

"Floyd's and Conor's motivation is clear. It's money," De La Hoya wrote. "In fact, they don't even pretend it's not. But it's also a lack of consequences for when the fight ends up being the disaster that is predicted. After this fight, neither of them will need us anymore.

"Floyd will go back to retirement—presumably for good this time with another nine-figure paycheck—and Conor will go back to the UFC. It's a win-win for them. It's a lose-lose for us. We'll be $100 lighter and we will have squandered another opportunity to bring boxing back to its rightful place as the sport of kings. At this point, only we can shut the circus down by making it clear that we won't pay to see a joke of a fight and telling our casual-fan friends that they shouldn't either."

De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions is currently promoting the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin bout, which would be the biggest on the boxing calendar if it weren't for Mayweather-McGregor. De La Hoya said his involvement with that bout has nothing to do with his criticisms.