Cormier says winning vs. Miocic would make him the GOAT

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Jan 26, 2018.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

What a fucking blockbuster! The UFC actually did it!

Stipe will be defending his HW title against Cormier. As of right now, Cormier is fighting for another belt. No word on what he'll do if he wins.

What an awesome fight! Two awesome, humble guys! People forget how much of a monster was DC was at HW. Should be a fucking amazing fight! WAR STIPE!

3. Mamba

4. Mamba

Ariel is also saying we may get 2 other champion vs champion fights...TJ vs Mighty Mouse and Cyborg vs Nunes

5. speeds

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/...uld-make-him-the-greatest-fighter-of-all-time

“I win this fight July 7, I’m the greatest fighter of all time,” Cormier said. “I’ve done something that was unheard of and that’s what I’ve always chased. I’ve always chased that. I chased it in the fights with (Jon) Jones because even regardless of the belts, I would always say, ‘Once I beat Jones, I will be the greatest fighter of all time.’ So I believe that once I do this, something that was so crazy that no one even has attempted it, I feel like I’m in the conversation for the best fighter of all time.”

A pair of fights with Jones failed to boost Cormier’s credentials, as the first ended with Jones taking a unanimous decision win and the second ending in a knockout loss for Cormier that was later changed to a no-contest when Jones failed a second test for performance-enhancing substances. The latter encounter has cast a shadow on both of their legacies and Cormier sees the Miocic clash as his chance to prove that he’s as good as anyone, even if he doesn’t get a third shot at toppling Jones, who is currently working to avoid a lengthy USADA suspension.

“When I think of a fight against Stipe, it’s a very tough fight and it’s a very difficult mountain for me to climb,” Cormier said. “But the reality was I’ve always talked about competition and legacy and when you think about legacy, if I’m able to pull this off, there’s no denying what I have meant to this sport and what I will leave behind whenever I’m done.”

6. speeds

DC is 20-1-1, one loss to JJ stands one is a NC.

His accomplishments in MMA are lengthy:

XMMA Heavyweight Champion +1 (regional)
    KOTC Heavyweight Champion
    Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion
    UFC Light Heavyweight Champion +3

Given the PED scandals in recent years I think the GOAT conversation is between Fedor, GSP, Mighty Mouse, and DC.

7. valo36

valo36 Active Member

The only blemishes on Cormier's record are to Jon Jones who was on something for both fights. I can see where dude is coming from. If he wins Cormier definitely gets to be in the discussion.

8. Mamba

Fedor & GSP are clear cut above DC, IMO. I just can't accept DC as even the GOAT 205 lb fighter knowing that there is a fighter (JJ) who has beat his ass twice. PED's or not...JJ knocked him silly last fight.

DC is definitely top 7 in the conversation but he is not the goat IMO. I would love to see DC vs a prime Liddell (great TDD) or a prime Couture.