OT Coronavirus: America in chaos, News and Updates. One million Americans dead and counting

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 3, 2020.

1. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

AF50ADE1-723B-4034-B41F-023D622E7424.jpeg

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

my inside sauces are telling me that a major epidemiologist is pushing for an 8 week total lockdown in LA.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. jonnyboy

When I respond to people I don’t pretend I’m not responding to people.

5. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Entirely typical. Look at politicians, states in the US, countries around the world; those who are most against birth control and abortion are the worst for prenatal care, child care, child health, education, pollution control. Reverse is also true.

6. EL PRESIDENTE

and...I booked a flight to hawaii last night for september. They'll prob extend the ban though.

Oh well. They will require a 72 hour COVID test prior to departure. Booked Delta which is 60% capacity + middle seat blocked. Everything is cancellable though, just playing it by ear.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Well, guess what...you have a choice in the matter. The unborn doesn't.

8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

When I post to a message board, I actually think more that one person will see the post, and the thing is, this thread is 670 pages long with over 13,000 replies in it. There's more going on than just your individual take on broke people and their grocery issues. The shin bone is connected to the ankle bone, but there's a clavicle around too

9. wizenheimer

well, get born, then complain

Propagandist and GoBlazersGo like this.
  10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Really now? So the person that contracted covid 19 and died, had a choice? The person that died of cancer had a choice? The person that was murdered had a choice? All the victims of gun violence had a choice? The victims of mass shootings had a choice?

What a fucking ignorant statement.:cleanup:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  11. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Talk about missing the point. Just wow.

12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Leave your fiance and take me! I promise I'm much more fun!

EL PRESIDENTE likes this.
  13. EL PRESIDENTE

THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TRIP. WE WILL BE CONDUCTING INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

14. SlyPokerDog

Fine, this is an international website so take me to Hawaii, I'll make you a mod, and you can do all sorts of international bizness on your phone poolside.

EL PRESIDENTE likes this.
  15. wizenheimer

maybe some good news about immunity:

* "And then there is SARS-CoV-2, the virus behind the disease COVID-19. From the beginning, there have been worries that this virus might combine the worst of other coronaviruses: highly infectious, deadly, and not generating a lasting immune response. That nightmare scenario has had researchers, and a lot of nonresearchers, holding their breath for months. Well … breathe. COVID-19 is a rat bastard of a disease, but the latest indications are that it’s not going to turn into an endlessly spinning cycle of disaster. We really can put this thing behind us.
    The fact that some coronaviruses do not create a lasting immune response has been a shadow over the COVID-19 pandemic from the beginning, and there have certainly been a series of reports that have made that shadow seem darker.

Early on, officials in Hubei Province indicated that as much as 15% of patients were testing positive for COVID-19 a second time after having a negative result. These numbers were seriously alarming, especially as this 15% rate of secondary infection happened in a very brief period. However, it’s almost certain that these results were more related to testing errors in China’s early antibody-based testing. No other country has reproduced these results, or anything like them.

However, as researchers began looking into the immune response generated by COVID-19, it became clear that in many cases patients with the mild or asymptomatic cases had relatively low levels of antibodies when compared with patients—especially older patients—who had gone through more severe cases. And follow-up studies indicated that the level of antibodies for all cases dropped off 15%-40% over a period of just two or three months, meaning that some of those mild cases dropped to the point where they no longer tested positive. Antibodies are far from the only measure of immune response, but this did increase the worries that immunity to COVID-19 might be weak and fleeting.

However, a paper that reached preprint last week provides some reassuring information right in the title: “SARS-CoV-2 infection induces robust, neutralizing antibody responses that are stable for at least three months.” This study, based on a large database of nearly 20,000 patients treated at New York City’s Mount Sinai Hospital, showed that the “vast majority” or patients with mild or moderate COVID-19 still had strong antibody responses to the viral spike protein from SARS-CoV-2 three months later. The expectation of the authors is that at least 90% of all patients are immune to reinfection for at least three months.

This is absolutely not the last word on this subject. For one thing, this paper is still undergoing peer review. For another, the number of anecdotal cases of someone testing positive, then negative, then positive again indicates that, at the very least, some people experience a resurgence of the virus, if not a true second infection, within a short period. It still seems entirely possible that people who tested positive on a PCR swab test but had a very mild immune response might be susceptible to a second infection within a short period.

All of this makes it more important that any potential COVID-19 vaccine produce an immune response robust enough to avoid any concerns about rapid drop off. And there’s good news on that front as well. Phase 2 results of the Oxford vaccine have been published in The Lancet, and they’re as good—and maybe even better—than anyone had hoped. In earlier animal testing, the Oxford vaccine had produced a less robust antibody response than either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, and actually a lower level than found by patients experiencing a moderate case of COVID-19. However, the actual vaccine in actual patients worked better.

As with the Moderna vaccine, the Oxford vaccine involves two shots given 28 days apart. And just as with the Moderna results released earlier this month, a number of the Oxford patients experienced relatively mild side effects (fever, chills, muscle aches, headaches) similar to the experience of patients receiving a flu vaccine. Unlike the Moderna trial where one person developed a serious fever, there were no strong side effects. After the first shot, 91% of patients had a measurable neutralizing antibody response against SARS-CoV-2. After a second shot, that number was 100%. The rate of the response was in the mid-range of levels seen in convalescent plasma—which is lower than the response seen in the Moderna phase 1 numbers, but there’s no indication that the Oxford numbers aren’t sufficient.

Full development of a response in all patients took until about 14 days following the booster shot—so even when the vaccine is available, everyone may face something of a maddening six weeks between visiting the doctor and feeling fairly safe from COVID-19. However, some people in the U.K. may get to start that countdown surprisingly soon as the Phase 3 studies could be done in September if everything goes well. It’s entirely possible that some healthcare workers could be getting their initial injection around Halloween.

Overall, the results from vaccine tests have been good, and the latest studies on lasting immunity to COVID-19 look good. Everything indicates that this nightmare does have an end." *

The Daily Kos is a left wing rag for sure but the author of this article, Mark Sumner, has written dozens of fairly objective articles about Covid

on a related note, I saw Laurie Garrett, a Pulitzer prize winning journalist on TV last night. She mentioned something I wasn't aware of: that being that 190 nations had signed a 'treaty' thru WHO agreeing to share equitably in any vaccine or treatment developed for Covid. But of course, the US hasn't signed so an Oxford vaccine, if it's the best one, might be delayed in arriving in the US. Don't you love it....

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. SlyPokerDog

Interesting. I don't think I've ever had a side effect from getting a flu shot but I know others have said they have.

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, every time I get a flu shot, I'm warned that there could be side effects like fever, nausea, stomach upset...never experienced any of that.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. jonnyboy

The sidestepping here is impressive. You tried to call me out through a reply, it backfired, and you are now trying to reign it back by making baloney claims and dancing around the fact that you basically talked shit and ended up being wrong. It really is that simple. Save your vague metaphors and symbolic talk of “the forum as a whole” for the next time you fall on your face.

19. SlyPokerDog

Now my distemper and rabies shots are different. Those things suck.

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Oh, I wondered how you contracted rabies. Just took it straight into your veins, eh?

SlyPokerDog likes this.