Cotto defeats Mosley (judges decision)

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CelticKing, Nov 11, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Cotto takes action-packed fight against Mosley, retains belt</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

NEW YORK -- Miguel Cotto, the slugger and brawler, didn't figure to take a decision against the quicker, smoother Shane Mosley, but the Puerto Rican star turned the tables Saturday night.</p>

Cotto, pounding away and stalking forward, retained his welterweight title in an exciting nip-and-tuck battle before a crowd of 17,135 Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.</p>

Cotto (31-0, 25 KOs), defending his title for the third time, had his hands full with Mosley, the former three-division champion who battled him on even terms for most of the fight. But the judges preferred Cotto's heavier punches, rewarding him with the victory. Glen Feldman and Peter Trematerra each had it 115-113 and Winn Kintz had it 116-113. ESPN.com had it 115-113 for the 27-year-old Cotto.</p>

Here's how tight it was: In a CompuBox anomaly, both fighters landed the same amount of blows. Cotto was 248 of 675 (37 percent) and Mosley connected on 248 of 774 punches (32 percent).</p>

"We both did our best and we both gave it our all," Cotto said. "Mosley hit me with some real hard punches. However, I trained in camp with speed and movement and to face his kind of power. I did all that in Puerto Rico before I got here. I thought I was ahead the entire fight. I thought I had a big lead."</p>

Cotto is now in line for another major fight as an undefeated titleholder and a top 10 pound-for-pound fighter.</p>

"I'll fight whoever they tell me to fight, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather, Ricky Hatton. Whoever the company tells me to fight," Cotto said. "All the big names."</p>

</div></p>

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

[​IMG]</p>

Miguel Cotto, right, used a variety of jabs and crosses to throw Shane Mosley off his game.</p>

3. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

Wow impressive win, i could have watch this for free. To bad I didn't, watch the mavericks game instead.</p>

4. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

I don't think he can beat Mayweather.</p>