Rumor Countdown to Thursday, June 22 - How this could play out

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jun 18, 2017.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    This time of year the rumors fly fast and furious with very few of them actually coming to fruition in the way that they originally evolved. But occasionally, there are some based on some legitimate discussion or someone has a pretty good idea of what is going on. That said, Neil Olshey has done a tremendous job of keeping almost everything in house so the majority of this comes from outside of Portland and is a summary from a number of people who have had solid information before.

Option - 1: Go Big - This seemed to be the over-riding opinion of most of the people I spoke to of what Portland would try to do. That the Blazers will/have attempt(ed) to use their picks and current players to acquire a significant player. They didn't think it would be for someone like Paul George and they also thought the likelihood of this option actually happening was fairly low but that is what they believe would be the Blazers first choice. 25% chance.

Option - 2: Trade Up - This seemed to be the most likely scenario. The general consensus was that they would combine picks and players to move up for someone they have targeted while trying to shed some of the salary from last years spending spree. They have a while before they hit the Luxury Tax so there is no rush to dump salary. Crabbe having recent surgery limits their options of who they could mover for now but they think there will be more moves at the Trade Deadline in February 2018.

They also felt that Portland has players higher in the Lottery they have targeted as well as a couple later in the Draft that they think will be 'hits'. They seem to like Neal as a talent elevator more than as a trader even though he has missed on guys like Aminu and Leonard in the Lottery. 60% chance.

Options - 3 Draft at #15, 20 and 26
    . No one seemed to think this was very likely. If they weren't able to trade any of their players at all, most seemed to think that Portland would consolidate their picks to try to move up and would also purchase a pick later in the 2nd round like they did last year with Layman. 15% chance.

There is no single definitive blockbuster tidbit like in some years passed although one guy seemed to think there is a fairly strong possibility of a big-time deal that he said he would get back to me on.....great. Way to get my hopes up. (not holding onto my shorts) There weren't specific names attached but the overall impression from the most likely scenario (#2) was that if they moved up, it was Collins and if they stayed at #15 it was Justin Jackson.

Whatever happens, most everyone seems to think it would be an active day for Portland after some of the other dust settles. One guy did mention he thought it would be very much like Neil to try to get in on all of the discussion around the Top-3 picks as a facilitator but that this year he is limited because of where Portland is with the cap.

Let the shredding, disagreement, nit-picking and name calling begin. :breakdance:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    stampedehero, BBert, 3RA1N1AC and 8 others like this.
  2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    So, the most likely thing is that they trade up to get Zach Collins, hopefully not using more than two picks? I guess that does seem most likely, just not enough firepower to move up to get Butler or a top 6 draft pick. Not getting me very excited.

RipCityDSCPL and Eastoff like this.
  3. SwissBlazer

SwissBlazer Well-Known Member

Thank you for your informations. It pretty lower expectations on the trade target. Which is maybe a good thing. But I wonder who could we try to land if we "go big".

I am with you on the strong possibility of a package to move up a few spots. Anything more exciting than that would be a surprise.

But i NEED rumours now!

Chris Craig, Dougnsalem and TBpup like this.
  4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Definitely no 'hold onto your shorts' information.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  5. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Name calling? No, name nit picking. Neil not Neal

Binx and TBpup like this.
  6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Seems like the safest bet to me is a package of one or two picks plus someone like Harkless. We move up into the lottery, get an impact rookie, and save some cash in the process.

RipCityWarrior and rotary111 like this.
  7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Blazers targetting Isaac

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

How high do you think the blazers would have to go to get him

9. RipCityWarrior

RipCityWarrior Active Member

Possibly as high a 4, what do we have that the suns need?

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Fultz, Ball, Fox, Tatum, Jackson should go 1-5

11. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Isaac could go above Tatum. Phoenix are apparently very keen on him so I won't be surprised if they take him over Fox too when they have Bledsoe. IMO Fox goes to Kings almost certainly.

12. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    Didn't Isaac say he would only workout for the top 4 teams? I would guess he has a guarantee at 4.

13. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Maybe we told him we'd get him at 6, and he doesn't want to go to Sacramento. Do figured if goes top 4, great, otherwise, to us.
    Harkless and 20 for 10. 10 and 15 for 6?

rotary111 likes this.
  14. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

question about "buying" second rounder(s). is this impacted significantly by the cash considerations in acquiring denver's pick and Josef? if so, how much cash can be spent on a second rounder, and in a deep draft, realistically where would that cash value potentially buy a pick in the second?

15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Gonna have to get up to #6 to get one of Tatum, Jackson or Isaac, and that's who we should be targeting.

BBert, RipCityWarrior, TBpup and 2 others like this.
  16. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

So pretty much everything I would have already surmised based on history, workouts, and things floating in the media.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  17. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Really gotta wonder if we got enough to get to 6? Magic have a 25, 33 and 35. Why do they want more lower picks when everybody knows there are only 6 potential superstars in this draft?

BonesJones likes this.
  18. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Smith is a potential superstar as well.

But that's the problem. They already have 4 picks.

19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Just heard from a pretty reliable contact that Portland and Indiana have been in at least a cursory discussion. They didn't know the details but think it is much more likely as a facilitator for the deal than it would be to get Paul George.

Is that Kevin Love? Not sure how excited I'd be for that but it would be an upgrade.

Eastoff likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Love would be better than nothing. I'm not really pumped about the draft. With that said, I still think we should take a swing at PG. Of course, if he tells us there's no way he would re-sign here, then obviously don't get him.

dviss1 and Eastoff like this.