Cronin's vision (interview with NBA.com)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Feb 3, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

https://www.nba.com/news/qa-blazers-interim-gm-joe-cronin-focused-on-big-picture-approach

NBA.com: What needs do you hope you can fulfill before the trade deadline?

Cronin: Just like everybody, trying to get better. Some of us are trying to do it sooner than later. Some teams are looking for that one extra piece to push them over the top. Other teams are looking for an infusion of talent. Other teams have a longer runway where they keep building and developing. For us, it’s staying open-minded. So just staying opportunistic and be thorough and look at all the different deals out there and make good decisions.

How do you prioritize making moves that can help you win this season versus long-term?

It’s delicate. I think we all take a big-picture approach knowing that one season is a small vacuum of a larger picture. It’s hard. We’re all so competitive that we want to win consistently. Sometimes to do that, you have to take a step back at times. Sometimes you just have to be patient. So, you’re trying to balance deal by deal what accomplishes the overall big-picture goals.

But you guys aren’t looking into thinking now is the time to do an overhaul or reset for the long term?

We’re looking at all different scenarios. Reset is a big word. We’re too competitive to want to do that. So it depends on what you mean by reset.

‘Reset’ meaning a long-term rebuild?

No, I don’t think we have the appetite to tear it all the way down. We have too many good players and too many ways to get better without taking too big of a step back.

How is Damian Lillard’s recovery coming along?

It’s coming along great. The surgery was a success. That had been bothering him for years and years. It’s a big relief for him to finally address it. The hope that comes with it is knowing it’s a lot better and that this is really going to enhance his game and hopefully prolong his career.

Is there any clarity on when he might return?

No. We’re going to be patient and make sure he’s fully healed physically and mentally. I think the break for him is really good. These years really ran together the last three. The weight that he carries, that’s a lot. The way he carried through that injury. Physically, we want to make sure he’s good. Mentally, we want to make sure he’s refreshed and ready to go whenever he comes back.

I understand he won’t return until fully healthy, but how much of his return will also hinge where the team is at in the standings once he’s fully healthy?

With our whole approach, it’s going to be big-picture. We’re not going to rush him back just to win a few ball games. We’re going to make sure he’s healthy and right and perform for many years, not just this closing season. We’ll address it and look at it. But I don’t want to put any pressure on him. He can come back once he’s fully healed.

You’ve known Dame for quite some time. But since you’ve been in the position that you’re in, what’s the collaboration been like with him and C.J?

It’s been great. They embraced me right away and knew the change was difficult for all of us. We had a group of staff that was really together for nine years. Then it was totally flipped over in the last six months. But they’ve been good. The key thing for us that I’ve been trying to emphasize throughout the organization is communication. Just try to communicate and stay together and work through things and discuss scenarios and options. What’s working for us and what isn’t.

What’s been their feedback been with what they like, don’t like?

Generally, really positive. Things have gone really well for us. We’ve made the playoffs the last eight years in a row. I think at the same time, we’re all aligned and we want to take that next step forward. That’s the message I keep getting from all of our guys and all of our staff. How do we get over this hump? How do we walk into a playoff series thinking winning this isn’t a success? Winning this and winning a couple of more is a success. That’s been the big emphasis – how do we take this next step from going from good to great.

You guys have had success with appearing in the playoffs. But since you have fallen short, there’s a school of thought that this should then be the time to start over. Why haven’t you thought that way?

Because we think we can accomplish it in a different way. We think through some slight changes that aren’t necessarily drastic as far as a total teardown and a long-term rebuild, we think we can get over that hump in a different direction. We still have players in their primes ready to compete.

I imagine Dame and CJ have still been firm with being committed here?

Yeah. They love the city. It’s a great basketball city. They love the organization and the feedback I’ve gotten back from them has been extremely positive with how they feel about Portland, Oregon.

What do you think of how Lillard, McCollum and Jursuf Nurkic have been as a trio when they’ve all been healthy?

Together, we’ve won a lot of games. Nurk is entering his prime. Dame and CJ are in their primes. Those are three high-level players. When we put the right pieces around them, we’ve shown that we can be very competitive.

Obviously, you’d like the record to be better. But all things considered, what are your impressions of how Chauncey Billups has done so far as a first-year head coach?

Especially lately, we’ve had so much roster turnover with injuries and everyone had a bunch of COVID stuff. But I thought we were really able to see him make his mark and make his imprint as far as the style of basketball that he wants to play. Some of the defensive improvements we went through specifically in the last four weeks and the month of January as a whole. The ball movement and the competitiveness and all of these traits we knew he would bring, it was fun to see him bring that out of different groups and different type of players and skillsets. But keep that style of play consistent. I think he’s done a terrific job with the hand he’s been dealt the last six weeks, not just with roster turnover, but with organizational turnover. So for him to keep all of those guys focused and together and go on some winning streaks and generally play a really good brand of basketball, I think it’s been super impressive.

You hired Andrae Patterson as the Trail Blazers’ new assistant general manager. What has that move brought to the organization?

I heard so many great things about Andrae as a person and as an executive. I got to know him a little bit over the years just in passing and in scouting circles when I’ve seen him at a game and spent a little time together. I didn’t know him super well. But all of my behind-the-scene work on him has been glowing reviews. He was exactly what I was looking for as far as the person he was and what type of skill set he would bring to our organization. We were all really excited that Andrae joined us.

What are the qualities he provides?

High basketball IQ as a former player and person who has been in the front office over the last seven years. His leadership abilities and thoughtfulness and creativity is really sharp. He’s going to bring a lot of different, not just basketball IQ, but leadership and people skills to the job.

What is the latest message from ownership with your long-term future?

They’ve been very open with me as far as I’ll have an opportunity to keep this job. But there’s going to be a search. They showed a lot of trust in me by allowing me to make some decisions with staffing and going into this trade deadline with some roster decisions. So, the trust they’ve shown is really I can ask for and it’s a big compliment. We’ll just take it as we go as far as what the job search looks like and what my chances are.

2. illmatic99

i think cronin has already mastered the key NBA GM skill of speaking a lot of words without saying anything meaningful.

Trying to read between the lines, I would say the main goals are to extend Dame, re-sign Nurk, and move our veteran players for pieces that better fit the roster. As far as the CJ comments go, I wouldn't read too much into them. The questions specifically cite "Dame and CJ," so Cronin responded the same way.

And this comment was somewhat illuminating on his vision, "I think we all take a big-picture approach knowing that one season is a small vacuum of a larger picture. It’s hard. We’re all so competitive that we want to win consistently. Sometimes to do that, you have to take a step back at times. Sometimes you just have to be patient. So, you’re trying to balance deal by deal what accomplishes the overall big-picture goals."

PCmor7, Orion Bailey, TBpup and 3 others like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I dont see why the Blazers couldn't become competitive without a tear down either. In January our defense improved to 19th and that's with a bunch of guys playing together that weren't used to playing together, inexperienced players, players out of position, and without one of our better defenders in Nance. Its actually offensively where we took a dip, but that was expected without Dame, and also CJ missed more than half of the month.

If they use the surplus at guard to add more size/length I think we can be a really good team next season.

4. illmatic99

how this national news dude missed a chance to ask about Ant's emergence and Nas' injury is confusing to me. Cronin's response to those points could have provided insight into what the org might do next week.

Orion Bailey, TBpup, Idog1976 and 2 others like this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

upload_2022-2-3_10-27-15.png

That's a loopy perspective that has been proven wrong, over and over, in my view. That trio has been healthy for 3 playoff series and Portland's record in those games was 3-12, A .250 winning percentage. And they have had plenty of "pieces" around them:

Aminu
    Harkless
    Ed Davis
    Evan Turner
    Zach
    Curry
    Napier
    Connaughton
    Layman
    Meyers
    Hood
    Melo
    Ariza
    Whiteside
    RoCo
    Kanter
    Powell
    Jones
    Simons
    Nance
    McLemore

for fucksakes, how many damn role players and how many playoff failures does Portland have to run thru before it sinks into management's thick skulls that the problem is not in players 4-10, it's in players 1-3. It's not the supporting players, it's in the core, and to coin a term, the core is rotten. So is management apparently if they believe the tripe Cronin is selling

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Actually, when I look at that list of forwards I am a little underwhelmed.

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So what I'm hearing is we are moving Simons, Powell, Roco etc to out different pieces around the Trio of Dame, CJ, and Nurk

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

TBF to Cronin, he only talked about the players he was asked about.

Wizard Mentor and riverman like this.
  9. illmatic99

some of these answers lend credence to our interest in grant.

i still don't want to give up too much for him.

10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If you could get him for Powell and filler I think you do that any day

11. illmatic99

that's about as much as i would give up. but the talk about him seeking a 112 mil deal this summer is a concern. i have no interest in paying grant 28 mil/yr.

RR7 likes this.
  12. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Can we pleeeeeaaaasssseeeeee stop the Dame and CJ backcourt.

Please.

Natebishop3, TBpup, Idog1976 and 2 others like this.
  13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah that was a lot of talk but you can talk up players as you're planning to trade them. Obviously Dame is the main focus. Maybe Cronin really is so close to the situation that he can't see it for what it is and does think he just needs to switch role players around Dame, CJ and Nurk to contend. That would be a real shame. Again this just makes me really want to see CJ go at the deadline because if he's still here in a week, I'll start to believe that Cronin is going to continue with this madness.

Idog1976 likes this.
  14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

That's really fucking depressing if true. The Dame/CJ back court is horrendous defensively which is a nonstarter but offensively despite how talented they are individually they do nothing to help each other succeed and instead take each other out of plays. This shit has to stop.

There really is still a chance that there are offers out there that we would take for CJ and Cronin is fronting that we want to keep the core together to try and drive up the offers as far as they can go.

brooklynballer, TBpup and Idog1976 like this.
  15. royo

royo Well-Known Member

Why would he say they are shopping CJ? He shouldn't, so he hasn't.
    I hope.

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

He fucking said nothing.

And even said he's gonna look at minor changes.

Fml at this point just get anyone that learned under Neil out.

I know that's impatience but this interview was awful in terms of any chance at changes that actually need to be made.

You better not fuck up Joe, but this was not a good look.

Chris Craig and wizenheimer like this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Which is it

18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

wut?

LOL...they played every game. Started every game those 3 seasons. Quit trying to Matlock semantics. By the playoffs a lot of players are playing with some minor injury of one form or another

Dame was so hobbled by his injury last season that he only averaged 34 & 10 with a PER over 30 while leading all NBA playoff players in winshare/48 and BPM

19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

ShOw YoUr CaRdS BeFoRe tHe DeAdLiNe JoE

20. illmatic99

Bro.... Come on. We lost in the first round to a team missing its entire starting backcourt while Dame was at his peak.

Orion Bailey and TBpup like this.