Dame and the Super Max Extension

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Aug 22, 2018.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, if I'm reading the CBA FAQ information correctly, this is a big season in terms of being eligible for the Designated Veteran Extension next summer. The basic criteria are:
    • 7 or 8 years of service when extension signed; (This will be Dame's seventh season)
    • 1 or 2 years remaining on contract; (Dame's contract would have two years left on it)
    • with same team continuously (unless traded during first four years in the league); (Dame's been with the Blazers since drafted).
    • meets Designated Veteran Player 35% Max Criteria

The Designated Veteran Player Criteria are:
    • The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
    • The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
    • The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
    Dame's not likely to be named MVP and he certainly won't win DPY, so he's going to have to make an All-NBA team, which is much more likely. So, the good news would be that Dame has a stronger than normal incentive to play well this year and the Blazers would have the opportunity to sign him for a longer period of time. The bad news: we're talking a major cap hit and luxury tax implications.

Or, you CAP gurus, do I have some of this wrong?

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I think it should be a requirement that a player get his team to the Conference Finals to be eligible for a supermax.

3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, you don't want a small market team like the Blazers to have the ability to offer a player like Dame a monetary incentive to stick around to try to build a contender instead of going ring shopping like Durant?

EL PRESIDENTE and dviss1 like this.
  4. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think Dame will play any different than normal. He pretty much gives it all each year, I can't see him going to 11 this year just to get a bigger extension. To get farther in the playoffs, certainly, but not to get more $$. I also can't see Dame ring chasing unless it becomes clear the Blazers won't be anywhere even close to competing.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I agree on the effort level issue. Dame plays all out all the time. I don't know what exactly was discussed was when Dame met with Paul Allen this last time, but I'd bet that it was likely that the topic of the Blazers doing everything they could to become competitive was on the list. I think Dame is one of the most loyal guys in the NBA, but he should get a chance to play for a title in his career. If the Blazers can't get to a competitive level by the end of this contract, I suspect there would be an agreement to trade him to a team that is a contender in return for pieces push along a rebuild here. That would be in both parties' best interests. I guess we'll see if Dame wants the security of an extended contract this summer over the flexibility of keeping his options open at the end of this contract.

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Teams already have that ability by being able to offer a 5-year contract vs a 4-year. Plus I think they also can offer a larger % increase, but maybe not.
    If a player really wants to go ring-shopping all they have to do is accept the Qualifying Offer and leave the next season. Also, fuck a ring-shopper.

7. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    The problem is that giving a player a super max actually makes it way, way more difficult to build a contender if they aren't already one since it takes up so much of the cap. Now I'm not saying Dame isn't worth it but it's kind of a crappy situation where it hinders the team by having someone good enough to be eligible.

handiman, BonesJones and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

As much as I hated to trade Clyde, I felt the same way. He gave us his best and when it was clear it wasn't going to happen then I was happy he got a chance somewhere else.

borim69, HailBlazers and e_blazer like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'm hoping he's thinking the same thing and he'll wait one more year before he pushes for it. If he makes an All-NBA team this year, that would give him two years in a row so, even if he misses next year, he'd still qualify for a max extension.

10. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Someone should tweet Dame this haha

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    says Sly "Biebs and ET's agent" PokerDog

hoopsjock and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Sorry, too lazy to look it up, but I don't believe there is any kind of cap hold for a player currently under contract just because he's eligible for a super max extension. It wouldn't make sense, as just because a player is eligible for an extension you are not obligated to give him one.

If that's true (please correct me if I'm wrong), if Dame waits until after the 2019-20 season to get his (well deserved) super max extension, Turner, Meyers, and Moe will all be off the books and we may have some money to go after a significant free agent (but, probably not a max contract player) prior to Dame signing his extension.

Basically do what Westbrook did last year - let the team make all their other roster moves first, and then go way over the cap using Bird Right's to sign the super max extension.

How much money we actually have in the summer of 2020 depends on lots of things - how we fill vacant roster spots, which players on rookie deals we retain/renounce, etc.

But, if our GM (whoever he is at that time) has his sights set on an all star caliber player, he may have enough cap space to go after one.

If Dame signs a super max extension next summer, we are right back where we were this summer - no way to get anyone for more than the tax payer MLE.

BNM

Darkwebs likes this.
  14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I don't see any cap hold for a player eligible for a super max extension and I agree that it wouldn't make sense for there to be one for the reason you listed. I think the scenario you mention is realistic, and frankly probably makes sense for Dame too. By waiting he gets to see if the Blazers can pull in another major player before committing to an extension.

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Postponing the super max extension (if he's even eligible for it) by a year may be his last chance to get his Paul George (or Melo - gag, spit) in Portland.

BNM

16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The only reason I'd want to have Melo in Portland would be to model for @HCP 's crappy fuzzy pictures.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    So before last year CP3 should never have been able to get a supermax?

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yup.