Dame interview with Haynes about passing Drexler

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Sep 30, 2022.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lil...is-feat-would-mean-a-lot-to-me-161736225.html

Voodoo, Eastoff, 42N8Bounce and 4 others like this.
  2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This was from February. Spare me the revisionist history, Clyde. I'm not sure how much I'd welcome this ex-Rocket back for some celebration of Dame passing him.

https://fansided.com/2022/02/18/clyde-drexler-damian-lillard-portland-trail-blazers-trade/

Clyde Drexler thinks Damian Lillard is better off leaving Portland Trail Blazers

“I wanted to compete, I’m a competitor, I want to win, I don’t want to sit back and teach the young guys how to play,” Drexler said. “My thought was I wanted to go and compete for a championship and we were able to win it. It’s the best move I ever made.”

Damian Lillard is now in a similar spot after the Blazers restructured at the trade deadline sending 30-year old CJ McCollum to New Orleans. Drexler was confused by the deal.

“When teams give up great players like that you kind of wonder what they are thinking,” Drexler said. “He (McCollum) is in his prime. Here is a guy who has been a great producer for your franchise and you give up on him. As a casual fan and as a guy who knows a little about the game I don’t understand those moves because the more good players you get the better your chances are of winning.”

The Blazers have won their last four somewhat surprisingly to remain in the 10 seed playoff play-in games. Wins over Milwaukee without Giannis Antetokounmpo, Lakers, Knicks plus an impressive win over Memphis. Third-year guard Anfernee Simmons has impressed but realistically Portland is a long way off from competing for an NBA championship.

Lillard will be 32-years old next season. He is likely out for the rest of this year still recovering from abdominal surgery. Lillard has always maintained he wants to stay in Portland.

Drexler wonders if Lillard may change his mind.

“I’m sure Lillard has gotta be thinking I gotta go somewhere to compete for a title unless he just wants to stay there and finish out his career, but if he is competitive I’m sure he is looking to go someplace to win,” Drexler said. “As a player, you have to make that adjustment and you have to make that decision real quick. Do I want to stay here and be beloved and maybe I don’t win a championship but they love you here in Portland? That wasn’t enough for me.”

There is also the chance that Portland simply decides to trade Lillard and make the decision for him as they did with McCollum.

An interesting off-season for Portland awaits.

Eastoff, 42N8Bounce, ehizzy3 and 4 others like this.
  3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Clyde's a knuckle head. I still love him though.

SlyPokerDog, Voodoo and BlazerBeav like this.
  4. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I honestly don't see a thing wrong with what he said here.

This is just plain honest. If people can't handle that then that is on them.

Again this is honest. Sorry if people can't handle this either.
    He had to do him. I'm good with that.

Would love to see Drexler give Lillard a bunch of respect when he breaks his records. Notice i said "When".

5. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Honesty is overrated. Just tell me what I want to hear!

6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Says Propagandist. ;)

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Who cares what Clyde says or thinks. Guy gives two shits about the team or the city.

8. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...guess which game Dame breaks Drexler's record :crystallball:

Dame starts season en fuego and makes light work of closing in on Clyde...record broken on Saturday, November 19, 2022 vs Utah Jazz (would be cool if he gets it done at home before the roadtrip)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I guarantee you that when Clyde is asked about Portland and his time here he would acknowledge it was some of the best time of his life. I also guarantee he appreciates the fan base because he's said so many many times. The fact is Clyde was raised in Houston, went to college there and then in the twilight of his career when we were no longer contenders he asked for a trade there and we gave him that.

Why the fuck are so many people in here salty about Clyde loving his hometown, whose university he helped take to the final four twice and then he wrapped up his NBA career there with his only championship? If I was Clyde I would show more love for Houston too but he never throws shade on Portland, only has good things to say about his decade plus here. So why all of the bitterness? I'm so fucking sick of it!!!

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Clyde can get fucked. We should rename his street to Dame Drive.

Eastoff, julius, GoBlazersGo and 2 others like this.
  11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I think part of the bitterness could stem from something like this:

"From the Houston Rockets, #22, Clyde Drexler."
    Guy played 16 seasons. 3.5 were with the Rockets. Seems insulting to get introduced for the top 50 greatest players as a Rocket. I didn't grow up in Portland, so I didn't have him as my hero as a kid. I get he's from Houston. But he spent the majority of his career here, and you wouldn't really know it. I think that rubs many the wrong way.

12. Propagandist

I think this most every time I head past Drexler Drive... Hell, I'd rather have Terry Terrace, Kiki VanDe Way, Arvydas Avenue, Lucas Lane, Buck Boulevard, Petrie Place, Stoudamire Street, Robinson Road, Sidney Street...you get what I'm saying.

13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I certainly dig Kiki VanDe Way.

14. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

A real competitor relishes a challenge. Drexler just joined a team that already won a title without him. Should Jordan, the ultimate competitor, have demanded a trade to Detroit or LA or Portland? Jordan never would’ve wanted the easy way out.

15. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Then you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Propagandist likes this.
  16. Propagandist

Drexler took us to the Finals, more than once! I think you could argue he paid his dues. I also think you can’t speak for Jordan. Perhaps if things had been reversed, Jordan would have elected not to take part in a rebuild.

My problem with Drexler is the same problem I think most fans have: he left and never returned, not to work, not to visit, nothing…nor does he say much positive about Portland.

HailBlazers and RR7 like this.
  17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    That’s a you problem.

18. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

He has been here many times since his retirement. He made his interest in being team president known when the job went to Larry Miller and I believe it was reported at that time that he had shown interest when Patterson got the job as well. This narrative of him turning his back on Portland is bullshit, he just became deeply entrenched or should I say re-entrenched in Houston. Just like two seasons ago I was watching a Rockets game on NBA TV that we weren't even playing in and heard him saying great things about Portland. I've heard him say great things about this city and team countless times on broadcasts of Rockets v Blazers games too. Try and find one time that he has thrown shade on this city... just try and then get back to me.

Phatguysrule and Propagandist like this.
  19. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Lillard Lane

20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    He wanted to be handed a job he had no skill for. Bully for him.

Wizard Mentor, Propagandist and RR7 like this.