Dampier Rumor...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Kwan1031, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

According to several media, Dampier, Esch, and Dickau is traded for Najera, Lattner, 2 first rounders and cash. I am not sure about detail, but the trade itself seems to be legit.

Pro: 2 first rounders for Dampier is good and we dumped Esch's contract as well. Both Najera and Lattner can play.

Con: We couldn't get Howard and traded Dampier to West. Also, Najera has 4 years contract, so we will spend about 18 mils on Foyle, Fisher, and Najera for next 4 years.

Mixed feeling for sure. I do like what we received for Dampier. But, why do we have to get Najera and his 4 years worth of contract? Why did Mullin want Najera?

2. SunshineRain

SunshineRain JBB JustBBall Member

You guys in Golden State will love Najera. He's a great hussle player.
    Unfortunately, last year he came back from an injury, had no hops,
    and was flat with his jump shot. Although he continued to give 100%,
    he lived in Don Nelson's dog house because he consistently missed open jumpers.

Well, I think he can return to form if he can full recover and regain his
    confidence. He'll give everything he has, and his contract isn't bad.

I guess the big plus for GS is that they get rid of Esch.

From my Mavs perspective, I'm very happy!

3. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

I think that this is a horrible move from the Warrior's point of view. I'm sure that they could have gotten far more value for him in a sign and trade and to top it all off, they trade him to a Western Conference rival. Plus they lose a up and comming guard in Dan Dickau. I don't get this move at all.

4. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

It's on ESPNews now. Ric Bucher reported it exactly as Kwan had said. The worst part about the trade is not getting Najera...I think he is a great player and will put up Custodian type numbers, but now I think we shouldn't have signed Cheaney. Great deal for the Warriors. 2 1st rounders, cash, and got rid of Esch...sounds good to me!

5. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sactomofo:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that this is a horrible move from the Warrior's point of view. I'm sure that they could have gotten far more value for him in a sign and trade and to top it all off, they trade him to a Western Conference rival. Plus they lose a up and comming guard in Dan Dickau. I don't get this move at all.</div>

You don't get this move? Were you looking foward to trading with NY, or just letting Damp walk and keeping Esch for the remainder of his contract. We can't go wrong in this trade. Damp was as good as gone, and we got some compensation for him. Laettner is going to provide some cap relief for next season. I don't see what you are trying to say.

6. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sactomofo:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that this is a horrible move from the Warrior's point of view. I'm sure that they could have gotten far more value for him in a sign and trade and to top it all off, they trade him to a Western Conference rival. Plus they lose a up and comming guard in Dan Dickau. I don't get this move at all.</div>We got two first round picks man, that ain't too bad.

Yes we did trade Damp to a Western Conference team but we have to worry about our own team being successful before we start thinking of others.

7. Windmill360?

Windmill360? JBB JustBBall Member

Wait... you guys are talking in past tense. Has this trade happened?

8. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

I just think that it would have been better to have gotten Damp out of the West if possible but i just thought that they could have gotten more of an impact player than Najera. I guess it ain't that bad considering that this will free up some more money to throw at J-Rich at the end of next season. I actually forgot that Esh. was sitll part of the team!

9. Rudeezy

Well it was looking more and more like Damp was just going to walk. I am pretty satisfied with this trade, assuming it has or will go through.

10. BradB3030

BradB3030 JBB JustBBall Member

Oh come on, this is a great trade. We doubted what Mullin was doing with the payroll, but it kinda came together with this trade. I haven't seen Najera play at all, but I guess he's a 3 that hustles, which is exactly what this team needs. We didn't need a THIRD point guard, and we didn't need a bad center with a big contract.

What we get is a fundamentally sound 4 in Laettner and a physical hustler 3 in Najera. And two first rounders...very nice Mullin

Contracts are pretty close in this trade, and I'd much rather have Najera who can actually produce and contribute than Eschmeyer.

Both the Mavs and Warriors get better in this trade...when it takes place...

(There's a rule that says a player can't be traded twice within 2 months, so it has to wait until September 24)

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

This is a good trade. Not to mention at deadline who wouldn't want draft picks and expiring contracts? Either way it improves the chances of a big deal going down later than if we hadn't done anything.

12. Rudeezy

Very nice explanation Bradb. There should really be no reason why Warriors fans don't like this move by Mullin. Najera has always been one of my favorite players and I promise you that he will become the biggest fan favorite at the Arena in Oakland.

13. mStuck

mStuck JBB JustBBall Member

Does anyone have any specific info on the two first rounders or Najera's history of injuries?

14. Rudeezy

15. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

I love this trade Najera might not be a good shooter but he will bang and hustle for loose balls a great addition to the Warriors bench, not to mention the PR that the Warriors will get from the Mexican American community. Laettner will give a service big body upfront to back up the center and power forward slots the 2 first round picks are just gravy thatmullin can use for future moves. Mullin did a great move compare to what the Knicks where offering. If nothing elsemullin stuck to his guns and did the trade he wanted not the trade he was force into.

16. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Duckmyster:</div><div class="quote_post">not to mention the PR that the Warriors will get from the Mexican American community.</div>Amen brother.[​IMG]

17. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Although there's no word yet on whether Dallas' draft picks are protected or which years they are, I think that this is a good deal. I'd project Dallas' pick to be middle round (high teens) next year, just out of the lottery. In addition, I'd much rather take Najera at about $17 million over 4 years over Esch and his $12 million 3 year contract.

If you still aren't sold on Najera, look at the financial part this way: if Dallas didn't sent Najera, we probably would have gotten Tariq Abdul-Wahad (2 years, $13 million), Shawn Bradley (3 years, $15 million) or Jerry Stackhouse (4 years, $28 million, though the first 2 years are about $5 million per). That, or we could have kept Esch. At the very least, you have to say that the trade was a good financial decision (even not including the extra cash involved.)

So not only did we get 2 draft picks which will help our future, but we also traded away a bad contract now in return for an expiring contract, a bleh-but-bearable contract and cash.

18. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I like the deal, but I am not in love with the deal either.

First, there is no way we could have gotten more than what we received. Teams like Indiana is not willing to part with players like Bender, and from the made up rumors from other teams, we couldn't even get a single first rounder for Dampier. So the package we received was quite satisfying.

That has been said, it appeared that Mullin liked Najera, like how he liked Foyle and Fisher. Grant that we dumped Esch and his 3 mils salary. But in return, we received Najera and his 4.5 mils salary. If we really wanted to dump Esch's salary with least contract possible, we could have received Handerson, who will probably not play at all, and players like Pavel, who's now 3rd string center behind Damp and Booth. But, Mullin decided to take Najera and his salary. There is no question that players like Foyle, Fisher and Najera will give 100%. But, is that hustle really worth investing 18 mils for next 4 years? When we have to resign tons of guys? Again, Mullin wanted hustle and effort over talent, and now we acquired 3 fan favorite players. I don't agree with that way, but we will see.

Anyway for next year, with that trade, we probably have the best shot at PO since Webber era. Although, we do not have a superstar to get a bucket whenever we need, we will probably throw bodies after bodies to wear other teams down. It will be very interesting next season...

19. Rudeezy

Could you imagine the energy that this line up would generate:

pg: Claxton
    sg: jrich
    sf: pietrus
    pf: najera
    c : foyle

20. meshgearfox

meshgearfox JBB JustBBall Member

Just an fyi folks, Dallas traded their own 1st rounder next year to Utah for the rights to Pavel, but they do have Atlanta's number one pick from the Terry/Walker trade. Obviously we'll keep our finger crossed, but if that's one of the picks we're getting and it's not protected: it aint chump change.