Dana vs Oscar and aging fighters

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by valo36, Nov 29, 2018.

1. valo36

valo36 Active Member

Oscar quote:
    Dana quote:
    https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/de-la-hoya-responds-dana-white-liddell-vs-ortiz-3-criticism

2. valo36

valo36 Active Member

So above I posted a link to an article showing that Dana White appears to be the person most upset with the Liddell/Ortiz fight. Dude has taken shots at everyone involved except for Ortiz and Liddell, especially attacking Golden Boy and the CSAC. I have a couple of questions for this. Who do you think is right in this squabble? Should Oscar have put Liddell in that cage? Should the CSAC be shamed for sanctioning the fight? Is Dana correct and White is threatened by Golden Boy productions? Is White correct and Oscar is actually under paying people while pointing at Dana to say he is?

Another question for aging fighters in general. Should a promoter tell a fighter when to retire? Oscar says it is disrespectful, Dana says it is a friend and someone looking out for the fighters interest. What do you think?

Final question, what do you think of Tito Ortiz attempting to be the voice of reason for everyone? He does not seem interested in flaming Dana or trash talking him. Just explaining why he felt a certain way. Is he growing up?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm in Dana's corner 100% here. Oscar's show was fucking terrible. Oscar didn't even know the fighters on his card. The fact that California sanctioned the is absurd. The fact that Oscar kept the fight go on is absurd. Oscar doesn't give a shit about MMA or Chuck. He is just trying to make money.

Dana shouldn't be one to tell a fighter to retire; but as a friend he did everything he could for Chuck.

valo36 likes this.
  4. valo36

valo36 Active Member

I've been on the DW bandwagon as well with this one, which is strange because no one here is a big Dana fan. It's pretty clear this is a money grab by Golden Boy as evidenced by the amount of amateurs he had fight on the card. In the Zuffa era has the UFC ever had a guy fight for free on their card? White definitely has the high ground there and as currently constructed I'm certain he is not worried about Oscar stealing spotlight away.

As for retirement, I think to a certain extent a promoter does have the right to say a fighter should retire. Especially when the fighter has been knocked out time after time viciously. Now the fighter has the right to find employment elsewhere, but I do not see the disrespect from a promoter telling an almost punch drunk fighter it is time to hang em up.

Mamba likes this.