Darius Miles Interview

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Blazers.com: Where were you when you found out you were being traded?

Darius: I was at my mom's house playing ping-pong and hanging out with my family.

Blazers.com: Were you surprised by the news?

Darius: Actually, yes. I had just come off of a really good game and didn't think being traded was in the cards.

Blazers.com: What have the last 24 hours been like for you?

Darius: Just getting ready to come out here. My mom helped me get things together, I said goodbye to my family and did everything possible not to miss my flight to Portland.

Blazers.com: Everyone seems to want to know why you missed that last practice in Cleveland

Darius: We had just come back after a seven game road trip and I hadn't adjusted to the time zones. I slept in and didn't even know it until the doorbell rang. The team sent someone to check on me.

Blazers.com: Was it as big of a deal as the media made it out to be?

Darius: Not really. I just made a human mistake. I apologized to my coach and teammates. That was that.

Blazers.com: What do you think you bring to this team?

Darius: A love for the game. I'm quick and young and I can get in some monster dunks. </div>

Link

I have a serious problem with the part of the interview that I bolded near the end. I have said this from the time that the trade was made: dunks will not win games. Why would he come to a team with that mentality, let alone saying that kind of nonsense in an interview. If that is what he has to offer us then there is a serious problem.

Even if dunks were important we have plenty of people that can throw down.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

i think this is a fresh start for him, a clean plate, he is going to want to prove that he can hang with the big boys and that he isnt just a "bust". Dunks always get the crowd going, especially D Miles' dunks, so it might be a good thing.

3. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

Well to be fair...I've always considered Miles to be an idiot [​IMG] Not surprised here.

4. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Miles will dunk and beef up his d in portland, he'll play the best games of his career so far for portland. I think that gradually ( im not talkin years , a season at most ) he'll mould into the player everybody always expected him to be.

5. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Hopefully Rasheed & Zach can work with him and help him develop a better post
    game and be more of an offensive threat.

It seemed like Mo Cheeks was interested in his defensive skills on being fast, & athletic and being able to get back on defense with quick teams, something that he said that the Blazers have been having a problem with this season.

Darius needs to realize that this is'nt high school still and step his game up a notch or two.

6. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting L.Sooch:</div><div class="quote_post">Miles will dunk and beef up his d in portland, he'll play the best games of his career so far for portland. I think that gradually ( im not talkin years , a season at most ) he'll mould into the player everybody always expected him to be.</div>

Do u really think miles will get a-lot of mins with portland or will stay there after this year? especially with q and him being f.a's and can sign with the same team.I really think if a guy cant get it going with Lebron he will never get it going but we will see he was one of my fav's when he got drafted by the clippers but just been a dissapointment ever since. Last year was his year to shine getting like 38 mins a game while avg 10 pts.

7. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Darius Miles barely has a High School education from a High School in East Saint Louis. I wouldn't over-analyze this interview if I were you, because it's more than likely he doesn't think before he speaks. Frankly, I feel he might have actually been telling the truth. I've never seen him do too much more than dunks, so he's not stretching the truth.

8. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

Naw, he doesn't actually have a high school education. I doubt his grades were ever in jeopardy as long as he continued to own 5'6" 16 year olds.

9. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Actually, during the NBA Draft, when he was drafted I could almost swear they mentioned he was a straight A student.

10. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Blinger0723:</div><div class="quote_post">I really think if a guy cant get it going with Lebron he will never get it going</div>

LeBron has good court awareness and is a good passer, but I don't think hes even close to being the best at making his teammates better. Maybe he will be in a few years, but he doesn't make everyone around him better yet, so what's up with the "if a guy can't get it going with Lebron he will never get it going" thing... I do like James and think he is already a hell of a player, but that's overrating him a little too much. I could name atleast 10 off the top of my head that can make teammates better than LeBron, and I think Wallace could probably be one of them.

11. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">I've never seen him do too much more than dunks, so he's not stretching the truth.</div>

I agree with you completely, but I think that by this point in his career he would know how to play the media game. I would have expected him to say something like: "I can bring energy off the bench" or something more relevant than his ability to dunk.

12. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ANiMuS:</div><div class="quote_post">Well to be fair...I've always considered Miles to be an idiot [​IMG] Not surprised here.</div>

Finally someone who was willing to say it, he's not that hard working, just explosive and fun to watch. He's not as bad as Swift though, I think he'll do well on the Blazers, he'll have to work extra hard, maybe Randolph can give him a few pointers.

13. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">He's not as bad as Swift though</div>

Actually, Stromile Swift is above Miles. And how exactly is Stromile relevant to this conversation anyway?

14. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

Well I was comparing his laziness, I would've said Derrick Coleman. He has no determination or dedication to the game. I might be bias, but it just seems, he's not giving it his all out there. He has such athleticism but doesn't even seem to be using it except for dunking.

15. Trail_Blazer76

16. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

I think Dirus Miles is proving himself to the Franchise and the Fans in Portland. He is doing really well and he is bring excitement and ducks to the team. Basically when he said dunks I think he meant excitement because dunks make the fans stand up and go "O **** THAT WAS RAW!". Everyone for the most part thinks he will grow in Portland. Look at his first 2 games with Portland he is posting good number and got a starting position in 1 game. Meaning Cheeks thinks he can get the team going in excitement and help the team start off good.

I already love him being on the team and I do not miss McInnis or Boomje. I hope that he stays next year already because I can see everything he is bringing the team.