Darko in Draft says Stern

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by mike18946, Feb 8, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ATLANTA -- The NBA Players' Association ended an ongoing feud with the NBA on Saturday. But both sides may be on the verge of an even bigger war in the coming months.

Two league sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the union had agreed to expand the first round of the playoffs to a best-of-7 format. Until this season, the first round of the NBA playoffs had been a best-of-5 format. The changes are expected to go into effect this season.

The move was called "unprecedented" by one union member who wished to go unnamed. "After years of fighting, we're finally talking to the league again," he said. "I think it's a big step in the right direction."

The league made the official announcement Saturday night at a news conference in Atlanta.

The league made another key announcement: Darko Milicic of Yugoslavia will be eligible for the 2003 draft as draft eligibility rules will now allow international players to declare for the draft in the same year in which they turn 18.

Previously, the league said a player needed to turn 18 before the draft application deadline, which comes 45 days before the draft.

Eligibility rules for American players will not be changed.

Regarding the seven-game series, the league gave up several concessions to the players in return. First, training camps will be shortened over the next few years. This fall, camps will be three days shorter. Next fall, an additional five days will be cut from the training camp schedule.

The league also agreed to increase the amount players are paid for the playoffs. This year the pool will increase from $8 million dollars to $8.75 million. Next year, the pool will increase to $8.875 million. In 2005, the pool will go up to $9 million.

Milicic, 17, has been projected as the possible No. 2 pick in next June's draft after high school phenom LeBron James. Milicic will turn 18 in June.

"He's thrilled. He's going to get a chance to live out his dream,'' said Marc Cornstein, the U.S.-based agent for Milicic.

At issue was an arcane section of the collective bargaining agreement that puts a limit on when international players are eligible to be drafted.

Article X, Section 6&copy; reads, in part: "... A foreign player who is at least eighteen (1 years old and who has not exercised intercollegiate basketball eligibility in the United States shall become eligible to be selected in an NBA draft held prior to the calendar year in which he has his twenty-second (22nd) birthday if he expresses his desire to become eligible to be selected in the next NBA draft by written notice to the NBA at least forty-five (45) days prior to such draft."

Both international big men turn 18 before draft night, but the NBA had previously interpreted the language in the collective bargaining agreement to mean that an international player must be 18 when he officially declares for the draft. The deadline for declaring for the draft this year is May 12. Milicic turns 18 on June 20. Schortsianides turns 18 on June 22.

The issue, for both sides, was charged with symbolism. David Stern had been railing on the NBPA for years to adopt an age limit that would keep anyone under the age of 20 out of the draft.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.</div>

2. Online

Online JBB JustBBall Member

They better get to be drafted! I like the 7 game first round. More basketball!

3. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

Great, great news for Pistons fans. If we have the #2 pick, he's ours. If we fall a little lower, we have a better chance at Carmelo Anthony because someone will take Darko ahead of him. I've never seen a second of him playing, but I'm pumped about it anyways.[​IMG]

4. LaBballFan

LaBballFan JBB JustBBall Member

If you all have any questions about him you can ask me.
    i know everything about bball
    NBA,Goodyear league,Rest of euopue

Anyway trust me Milicic is ready for NBa and in his first NBA season he will maybe have better stats than LeBron.
    He is great all around player,his role model is Kevin Garnett,he has almost the same game style as KG but he has more musces and more weight.
    I think he will have great NBA carrer

5. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

Does anyone have a picture of darko?

6. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

Here's what Google turned up. The guy on the middle bottom isn't him. Not much there unfortunately.

7. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

[​IMG]

Darko Milicic
    Birthdate: 6/20/85
    NBA Position: SF/PF
    Ht: 7-0
    Wt: 245
    Int Team: KK Hemofarm Vrsac
    Hometown: Novi Sad, Yugoslavia

Stats:
    http://superguide.telebasket.com/player_st...id_player=20197

<u>Strengths: </u>
    Solid athlete who can run the floor and jump like few others his size ... Creative scorer who understands how to set-up his defender off the dribble ... Excellent finisher when receiving the ball on the break or out on the perimeter as he can cut to the lane and even dunk in traffic ... On defense he is an excellent help defender who shows promise of being an adequate shot-blocker ... Does a very good job of using his long arms to grab most rebounds around his area despite usually being physically out-matched by his opponents ... Can be a nightmare for opposing players to defend due to his versatility as he is too quick for most power forwards and too tall for most small forwards to defend in the post ... Excellent ball handler for his size ... Plays extremely aggressive and wont back down from a challenge ... Competitive, he'll do whatever it takes to win ... Shows court awareness beyond his years as he will adjust his game according to how the defense plays him ... Can shoot the ball from 20 feet with consistency and even has the ability to extend out to the three point line ... Has a very high basketball IQ and sees plays before they occur ... Good passer who is blessed with solid court vision. Double teams rarely bother him ... Shows soft touch around the basket ... Owns a solid hesitation dribble move he uses to bait his defender out of the paint. As soon as his defender plays his shot, Milicic will dribble into the lane for the quick lay-up.

<u>Weaknesses: </u>
    Has problems at times holding his position on the low blocks due to his lack of body strength ... Offensively his back to the basket skills are still in the developmental stages as he prefers to face the basket ... Needs to continue to improve his upper body strength although this should be no surprise when you consider his age ... Unlike most young players defensively he shows above average skills but it's the basic stuff he'll need to improve on ... Perimeter defensive skills such as anticipation and playing the passing lanes ... As far as working on his low post defense, strength and experience are the main detracting factors ... Tends to put the ball on the floor a little too much after getting an offensive rebound ... Ball protection is a area of concern as he can get careless at times ... Needs to work on getting rebounds out of position ... When posting up Milicic should improve on getting wider so he can give guards a bigger target when they pass into the post.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Sounds really damn good!!! hope pistons get him with the grizzles pick 8)

9. Sasha

10. Sasha

<u>Here is an interview with Darko</u>

Most Yugoslav talents usually come from Partizan Belgrade. How did you end up in Hemofarm Vrsac?

Darko Milicic: I have been in Vrsac for four years already. I have become pretty much attached to this town because the overall conditions are excellent. I believe that I will stay here until I complete maturing as a player.

Why and when did you start playing basketball? Is there any basketball tradition in your family?

DM: I started playing basketball with friends from the school, like the rest of the boys. Then we altogether found the club to play for: Sports World from Novi Sad. Only after a year of training in Novi Sad and upon my arrival to Vrsac, I started to be more serious about basketball. As far as the tradition is concerned, my mother played for BC Vrsac, in the 60’s.

Apparently you can play all five spots, but which do you think is your natural position?

DM: I like playing the four spot the most.

Which NBA player do you think you resemble the most? Nikoloz Tskitishvili, maybe?

DM: I don’t think that I resemble Tskitishvili, I would rather say that I resemble Kevin Garnett, who is also my favorite basketball player.

What part of your game is the best in your opinion?

DM: I presented the best part of my game in the first round of this season in the domestic championship against Partizan, in the duel with Nenad Krstic.

With so many NBA scouts on the stands, do you feel extra pressure?

DM: No, I feel no pressure.

What do you have to improve in order to play in the NBA one day?

DM: I aspire only to the highest goals in life, it’s the same with the NBA. I will do my best.

Is the NBA an obsession for you?

DM: Yes.

So, is your intention to enter this year's draft? [Darko will be 18 in draft day, but his 18th birthday doesn't come 45 days before the draft as the rules specify]

DM: Talking to my manager I realized that it is not certain that I will enter this year’s draft, if I do that I will, according to estimates, be the second pick. In case I enter the draft in 2004 I will be the first pick, according to certain data from the Internet.

How was your experience in the Global Games in Dallas? Was that your first time in the United States?

DM: It was my first visit to America. I didn’t play much then. There were some misunderstandings with the coach and I also had problems with my back.

Did you met or talked to Don or Donnie Nelson this summer?

DM: Donnie Nelson hasn’t contacted me in particular, but we have met when he has been to the coaches seminar in Yugoslavia.

You recently took part in the European Championship for Young Men... Which other players of your generation you consider have a shot at the NBA?

DM: Of my generation, I would mention Luka Bogdanovic.

One of the best European players of your age is Erazem Lorbek. He is going to play in Michigan State this year... Have you thought of going to an American college or would you rather stay in Yugoslavia?

DM: I would rather stay in Yugoslavia.

Is there any player you'd like to face in the NBA?

DM: Yes, Kevin Garnet.

And any team you would especially like to play for?

DM: I haven’t thought about that yet.

11. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

he will need a couple years to develop and will be the best international player ever.

12. Sasha

Thats the case with most rookies, but he will develop quicker. He has played European ball and because of that will mature quicklier. AS for being the best international player, I dont see it.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

good interview 8)

14. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah but 7 games will help alot. I think it will be more fair if they do 7 games because 5 games is too quick. It gives a team more chances.

15. Online

Online JBB JustBBall Member

True Knicks

16. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Well 1 & 2 won't be a secret in next year's draft.

Lebron will go #1 and Darko #2.

The 7 games is b.s. Although I like the fact there are more games to be played now. I really think they should have it go into effect next season. I think the NBA wants to cash in the event the Lakers and Kings face off in round 1 this year.

17. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Well 1 & 2 won't be a secret in next year's draft.</div>

Actually you may be able to stretch that a little further and say 1, 2 and 3 won't be a secret...LeBron, Darko, Carmelo...