Darko Milicic- BUST?

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by jbbilovebball, May 10, 2003.

1. jbbilovebball

jbbilovebball JBB JustBBall Member

i dont c the big deal bout this guy. hes said tht the toughest competition hes ever faced is PAT BURKE. this guy averages around 5 ppg according to NBADraft.net

CAN U SAY BUST?

2. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have heard alot of speculation about him but I am going to wait to see him play before I form an opinion about him.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

You can't call a player a bust til he has played a few years in the NBA at least..he hasn't even played a game yet....and no if he did average only 5PPG why the hell wouls he be in the NBA draft as the likely 2nd pick? i heard he averages like 23 and 12 in europe..or it might of been 29 and 10..can't remember

4. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

there are many different averages i have seen

5. Kid Canada

who has lebron played against he plays against a bunch of ppl around 6 feet he looks 7 feet in his games

6. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

thats why I think it's a little safer drafting Melo... More people have seen Anthony and know more about his game then Darko.

7. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

29 NBA scouts can't possibly be wrong on this kid, right? I think this guy will be solid, but not a superstar, all star probably, but no superstar.

8. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

future super star maybe, its hard to tell. he obviously doesnt average 5 ppg. :roll:

9. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I think that guy was thinking of Nickoloz's averages in his league before the draft last year...remember Skita was a benchwarmer in his Euro league, but the scouts loved him...so he may be thinking of Skita...

10. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

he averages 14 and 7 according to hoopshype.com

11. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

for starters , the 5 points per game was refering to pat burke, ok!! second, no one is a bust until a couple years in the nba, and i seriously doubt darko will be a bust, especially considering almost all european players have done really really well in the nba lately and this past season, and darko is supposed to be better than any other european around his age right now. if he goes to a team that he gets a lot of minutes with, i would bet that he can average at least almost what pao did his rookie year.

12. Damian Necronamous

Damian Necronamous JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "ilovebball":</div><div class="quote_post">this guy averages around 5 ppg according to NBADraft.net
    </div>

Did you notice that those were his stats from LAST season (2001-2002)?

Darko is averaging something around 30ppg and 10rpg this season. ESPN said it when they did a piece on him about a month ago.

13. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

I've seen Darko play (I live in europe 4 months a year) and he is the real deal. He's only 17 but the experience he's had playing against professional ballplayers really shows. His fundamentals are FAR surperior to 'melo's right now (don't get me wrong, I love 'melo's game).

He isn't anywhere near the athelete that Carmelo Anthony is, but his lateral movement and speed with the ball are astounding for someone his size (of any age). He's as smooth as Dirk with the ball, but a better defender (he can't shoot like Dirk either- yet).

He's so young and so big that he still isn't quite used to body yet and it will take him a year or 2 before he will be able to use it effectively. He'll probably take a career path similar to Nowitzki's in that he'll be able to contribute in a small way for a year or two and somewhere around his 21st birthday....BAM, lights out on everyone..

14. jahama1240

jahama1240 JBB JustBBall Member

this boy dominates the european league, and thats not very easy. dirk and tony parker and some others came from that league.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i have not seen him play, but my homie emil has seen him play live and he said milic is, too cocky. he's overrated. scouts have been wrong several times with their advice. they compare darko's game to KG. i'll wait to see him play a few years in the nba. maybe this year's draft will be similar to 1984 with LeBron playing the role of Hakeem, Darko playing the role of Saw Bowie, and Melo playing the role of his Airness.

16. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Can someone tell me his REAL stats, because I've seen he only averages 14.8 ppg 7.5 rpg and 2.1apg

Link: http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

look at the number two projected pick, and on the right side you will see his stats

if these are correct, he doesn't sound like anything special...

17. Kid Canada

but what did pau averagethen we could compare there are good players in europe i dont no how they got this stats eurobasketball.net does nt have his stats

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "thefranchise3":</div><div class="quote_post">Can someone tell me his REAL stats, because I've seen he only averages 14.8 ppg 7.5 rpg and 2.1apg

look at the number two projected pick, and on the right side you will see his stats

if these are correct, he doesn't sound like anything special...</div>

...then take into account the fact that the kid is only 17 years old, playing against fully seasoned pros, and putting up far superior numbers to someone like gasol was. besides his far advanced fundamentals for his age, scouts are also impressed by the fact he plays tough, and has a real nasty, competitive streak in him, something u need to be successful at the highest level. most NBA scouts would not rate him to go above carmelo if the hype wasn't real

19. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Sir Desmond":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "thefranchise3":</div><div class="quote_post">Can someone tell me his REAL stats, because I've seen he only averages 14.8 ppg 7.5 rpg and 2.1apg

if these are correct, he doesn't sound like anything special...</div>

...then take into account the fact that the kid is only 17 years old, playing against fully seasoned pros, and putting up far superior numbers to someone like gasol was. besides his far advanced fundamentals for his age, scouts are also impressed by the fact he plays tough, and has a real nasty, competitive streak in him, something u need to be successful at the highest level. most NBA scouts would not rate him to go above carmelo if the hype wasn't real</div>

you can't judge him as a bust yet, he hasn't even played a game. i think he will be good if people rate him higher than melo. even if he has a bad 1st year don't get mad and call him a bust. he's only 17, give him at least 2 or 3 years to develop(before calling him a bust) and he could be something special.

20. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

The most important thing to remember is that in Europe, senority often comes into play. Darko only averages about 20-25 minutes a night b/c he is so young.

The biggest mistake anyone can make when looking at prospects is getting hung-up on statistics.