Decision time for La Russa

Discussion in 'St. Louis Cardinals' started by truebluefan, Oct 4, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The drive from St. Louis to the East Bay is long and serious enough that Tony La Russa hasn't attempted it since October 1996 following his first season as Cardinals manager.

For reasons he only hints at, La Russa this week will pack a one-way rental to again make the trek.

Introspection accompanying La Russa's annual decision whether to continue as the longest-tenured manager in club history will receive more room to breathe this time.

During his three-day drive La Russa must weigh his desire for the job as well as the opinions of Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. and general manager John Mozeliak after a summer that moved Mozeliak to use the buzz word "underachieve" to describe the team's performance.

Before Sunday's season finale La Russa described the team's win total as "about right." However, he has declined repeated chances to say his coaching staff will remain intact should he return.

"There's a lot to think about," he says.

The Cardinals finished with a 9-2 rush to reach 86 wins but missed the postseason for the third time in four years. La Russa insisted earlier this month that the team's finish would not impact his decision. Even those closest to him admit to a tougher read this time.

"I honestly have no idea," his wife, Elaine La Russa, said late last week. "I don't know where he's at with it."

"In the past I've always had the feeling he was coming back," offered pitcher Chris Carpenter. "This time, I honestly don't know. It's a little unsettling since I'd like to see him back."

What many believed a matter-of-fact defense of the NL Central title became a complicated slog through injuries, a thin minor-league system, random clubhouse intrigue and a frustrating inability to dispose of lesser competition. Inscrutable base-running and loose defense too often plagued a team traditionally grounded in fundamentals.

La Russa, who turns 66 today, has heard repeated suggestions that ownership and the front office hope for his return. However, there are also indications the desire comes with strings attached.

"It's always better to hear it yourself," La Russa says. "I've heard that Bill told some people he'd like to have me back. My relationship with Mo' is fine. But if you haven't paid a lot of attention to it and then you start paying attention to it, the issue becomes, 'Is 15 enough or is 16 the right thing to do?' I don't want to take anything for granted."

Meetings set for today may help shape La Russa's thinking.

This morning's meeting involves coaches and an array of front-office personnel in addition to La Russa, Mozeliak and DeWitt before the three principals meet alone later in the day.

Mozeliak voiced concern about the team's inconsistencies and its clubhouse mix during the season, giving rise to speculation that there may be questions about a staff that, except for the hitting coach, has remained static for more than a decade."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_a1900394-8662-5772-984a-ca699f2b6921.html