Derek Stepan sucks ass

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Feb 17, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

They can't get this guy out of here fast enough. It's so obvious he doesn't fit this system. Not surprised they lost. Islanders play every Rangers game like the 7th game of the finals and have for years. Then they get throttled their next 3-4 games.

2. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

^^^^^Agree. Rangers are Islanders' and Devils' patsy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They're better off NOT pulling the goalie down 1 since they seem to have no idea what they're doing and look more timid.

4. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Don't understand why AV won't move him to RW since he's a decent scorer. Stepan is 12th in the NHL in faceoffs taken with 1058/46.7 win %, ranking him 43rd in win% among the top 50 faceoffs taken. Hayes is 2nd on the Rangers with 709 taken and a 45.3%. It's amazing to me that neither of these guys have made any effort to improve this part of their game. Zibanejad 572/52.1% and Lindberg 336/49.7% offer hope.

5. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Hayes went from winning 35% of his face-offs last season to winning 45% of his face-offs this season. Not sure you can say he hasn't made any effort to improve that part of his game. Still has work to do, but if he improves again this off-season and gets up to 48% +/- that would be awesome.

And I don't understand why we lose one game after winning 6 straight and it's all doom and gloom again. Very weird dynamic in here. Rangers are right where they need to be. Losing a couple of games isn't a bad thing. Let's get into the Atlantic bracket, that's where we want to be. And we all know every Isles Ranger game is like game 7 of the SCF for the Isles, double so when you factor in the Isles playing for their playoff lives. A loss last night should have been expected.

6. kreidertime

There is a lot you don't understand Chuck. For one, how to read. This is not a gloom and doom thread on the Rangers. Try understanding what people write. This is a thread about one player who has another idiotic NMC that kicks in next year, makes 6.5 million and is too slow to keep up with this teams style of play. It's not that hard to grasp.

7. RangersFan

Once again, I have no clue who Chuck is.

I see the Rangers are the Devs and Isles patsy. I see when they pull the goalie they are timid. I see Hayes doesn't care about improving at face-offs when he improved 10% from last season.

So yeah...I read just fine kreider. Unless those comments are about Stepan?

I actually would have no issue moving Stepan now, before his NMC kicks in, for a very good RD, and then dealing a couple of middle kids to add a forward back to replace him. Won't happen, but I'd have no issue with it.

8. Ranger71

C'mon Chuck, you know who Chuck is.:)

9. kreidertime

OMG. He constantly ignores the information in a thread and goes into his usual bullshit of everybody hating the team. Same crap, different year from him. He turned a fucking thread about Stepan and his dumb NMC into a bashing thread based on one loss. What an asshat.

10. RangersFan

I will respectfully disagree. I believe I actually wrote the examples in this thread that had nothing to do with Stepan, but you can see what you want to see kreider, no issues. I will leave the cursing and name calling to you sir.

Like I said, Devs/Isles patsies, timid with goalie pulled, and Hayes doesn't make any effort to improve at face-offs don't appear to be comments about Stepan, but again I could be wrong about that and those comments are about Stepan. If they are comments about Stepan but don't use his name and instead talk about the team and Hayes, I stand corrected.

And I also happen to agree with you about dealing Stepan now before his NMC kicks in.

11. panzerporter

Sorry Fan but I'm not going to turn cartwheels for Hayes 45%, the point I was making relating to Stepan was the Rangers 1-2 faceoff guys are among the worst in the league.

12. kreidertime

Yes, but Hayes has improved a ton on draws this year. Last year he was 36% rounded. This year 45%. That's a big improvement. However, I no issue with the team dealing Stepan for a top faceoff center than can play the third line and adding a right handed defenseman that is fairly young.

13. panzerporter

Shattenkirk would seem to fit that bill via free agency next year. I like Hayes. He's young and like Stepan should shoot the puck more but the guy is 6'5" 215. He should be at 50% just leaning into his opponent, he only took 400 faceoffs last year so he's improved with more opportunities. I like Step too, just think he's been playing out of position. I don't see how moving over to RW would affect his passing ability. The Rangers have needed a RH shot for years, step needs to move off center and fill that role.
    Nash and his $7.8 have to go, the Rangers need the cap space and the only teams with cap space to trade for him are Arizona, Toronto, Edmonton, TB, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Florida, NJ and Carolina.

cagedlion likes this.
  14. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Agree 100000%, it is what it is

15. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Too late to trade Stepan.........he's nursing an injury. LOL

16. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Rangers are 8-1-1 in their past 10 games. Lundqvist is 10-2-1 with a .939 SV and 1.91 GAA since Jan 19. Pretty good numbers for a guy who is done.

"Dumb to win these games we want to be the wild card not the 3 seed." There, took the one complaint you can all make away from you. As Big Herm said YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME and the Rangers are winning games. This is a good team, like it or not.

17. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Yea definitely have to win games. If they're good they can beat the Pens and Caps. Caps fold in the playoffs every year and I'm still surprised the Pens won the cup

18. Ranger71

I'm not sure they'll trade him during the summer, and i hate to rag on him but his skating has not improved one iota in 7y.