DerMarr Johnson is now a Grizzlie!

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

2. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

I like DeMarr Johnson, pretty good 2 guard.

3. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Following lists the tentative roster for the Grizzlies as they head to the Los Angeles Summer Pro-Am League on Sunday. Roster lists name, position, height, college and team last played for:

(Tentative and subject to change)

DerMarr Johnson, G, 6-9, Cincinnati, Hawks 2001-02

Troy Bell, G, 6-1, Boston College, rookie

Fred House, F, 6-5, Southern Utah, played in Yugoslavia

Cory Bradford, G, 6-3, Illinois, CBA's Dakota Wizards

Cezary Trybanski, C, 7-2, Poland, Grizzlies 2002-03

Chris Owens, F, 6-7, Texas, Grizzlies 2002-03

Robert Archibald, F, 6-11, Illinois, Grizzlies 2002-03

Mike Batiste, F, 6-8, Arizona State, Grizzlies 2002-03

Earl Watson, G, 6-1, UCLA, Grizzlies 2002-03

Dahntay Jones, G/F, 6-6, Duke, rookie

Ryan Humphrey, F, 6-8, Notre Dame, Grizzlies 2002-03

Theron Smith, F, 6-8, Ball State, rookie

Uche Nsonwu-Amadi, F, 6-9, Wyoming, rookie
    The Grizzlies will play in the Los Angeles Summer Pro-Am League, July 7-16 with the first game against the Canadian National Team on Monday. The nine-game league schedule continues with games against the Los Angeles Clippers, July 8; Golden State Warriors, July 10; Dallas Mavericks, July 11; Denver Nuggets, July 13; Toronto Raptors, July 15; Seattle SuperSonics, July 16; Houston Rockets, July 17 and Sonics, July 19.
    </div>

4. Truemaster14

he probably wont make the team because as you said the grizzlies have 17 players on there roster.

5. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

grizz have to many f/g.

6. pchotsauce twin

pchotsauce twin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "raptors21":</div><div class="quote_post">grizz have to many f/g.</div>

Johnson is dumb. He should have found a team that doesnt have a glut of SG/SF such as the Sixers, Nets, Houston. Teams like that[/url]

7. Voodoo Child

I think that he will make the team. He is better than nine or ten of the current Grizzlies. I think West will make a trade or cut a player like Batiste and just take the cap hit to get DeMarr. He had a serious neck injury, but they say that he is fully recovered. And if Michael Dickerson doesn't come back than we can cut him and have the insurance company pick up his salary. If DeMarr is in full form he should challenge Dickerson and Person for the starting Shooting Guard spot. I was also suprised that Theron Smith is on the team. Theron came very close to being drafted this season. Smith was considered a lottery pick last year when he lead Ball State to become a ranked team. Sadly, Smith was injured just after the season ended and he became a redshirt for the next season. He had an extra year of eligibility left in college, but he left early to try to make the NBA. Having no success being drafted, I was sure that a team like Minnesota would pick him up. He could become a good role player for a team that isn't very deep at the guard spot. Memphis on the other hand is one of the deepest teams in the league guard wise. Uche Nsonwu-Amadi also made a poor choice by choosing the Grizzlies. His name is long, but his chances of making an NBA roster are great. He also barely missed being drafted. I think that teams like Denver and Golden State would have taken a chance on him, but he or his agent made a bad descision and enrolled him into the Grizzlie's summer league. Interesting roster indeed.

8. Ghost

Ghost BBW Member

I wish Dermarr was on the lakers.

9. Voodoo Child

DerMarr started in 21 games during rookie season (2000-01).

DerMarr was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year and earned Third Team All-Conference USA honors in only year at Cincinnati.

He also averaged just under 8.5 ppg in his last active season.

'Source of information, nba.com'

10. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

He may be replaced by troy bell

11. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "olskoolFunktitude":</div><div class="quote_post">He may be replaced by troy bell</div>If I am not mistaken they play two different positions. And Troy Bell will be backing up Williams and Watson already.

12. olskoolfunktitude

my bad. i thought tehey were both SGs

13. Truemaster14

yeah. I think bell is a SG and the grizzlies will test him out there before they even think about moving him to the point.

14. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">yeah. I think bell is a SG and the grizzlies will test him out there before they even think about moving him to the point.</div>Very accurate. Hubbie Brown called both Jones and Bell and told them to be ready to play both SG (Bell) and SF (Jones). Bell is mainly a PG though.

15. Truemaster14

when pg/sg come into the nba they usually try them out at pg but this is different because there point guards are so good there moving him to SG. Personnally i dont know what west is doing because there good at SG too with dickerson(averaged 18 ppg before injured), person, battier(he can play both), bell, and maybe even dermarr johnson.

16. olskoolfunktitude

Hubbie Brown....i wonder how long he can hold out

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">when pg/sg come into the nba they usually try them out at pg but this is different because there point guards are so good there moving him to SG. Personnally i dont know what west is doing because there good at SG too with dickerson(averaged 18 ppg before injured), person, battier(he can play both), bell, and maybe even dermarr johnson.</div>Well, here is their guard depth chart -

SG - Person/Johnson/Jones (when not at SF)
    PG - Williams/Watson/Bell (as you said, he might play some SG)/Knight (injured and faded)

Batteir plays PG and SG very well, but I think that he has found his place, backing up Mike Miller at SF. Dickerson limped off the floor yesterday at Summer Training. He is out for the whole season and the insurance company has already picked up his whole contract just like they did with Bryant Reeves.

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "olskoolFunktitude":</div><div class="quote_post">Hubbie Brown....i wonder how long he can hold out</div>I am worried about him too. He is an excellent coach. It would be sad if the Grizzlies lost him due to health issues. He is nearing 71 years of age.

19. Truemaster14

the grizzlies are so talented, why cant they make the playoffs? you have miller,battier,swift,gasol,person,williams,bell,jones, and a great passer and leader in knight. You guys definately have a shot at the playoffs because your so deep.

20. Truemaster14

Oh yeah and my predictions for Ryan Humphrey in summer league are: 17ppg, 13rpg, 2.5bpg. This guy can play when hes not under any pressure but as soon as he plays in a real game he always makes mistakes.