Desmond Mason, 6th man of the year

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by Dom_Sensei, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Dom_Sensei

Dom_Sensei JBB JustBBall Member

Mason is deserving that award because plus being a fan favorite thanks to his increadible dunks, he is an above average scorer and a great defender.
    And above all, Milwaukee is winning thanks to its bench, and Mason is this bench's best.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Dom_Sensei:</div><div class="quote_post">Mason is deserving that award because plus being a fan favorite thanks to his increadible dunks, he is an above average scorer and a great defender.
    And above all, Milwaukee is winning thanks to its bench, and Mason is this bench's best.</div>

This is why the NBA needs to cancel the dunk contest. Not only are there no new and original dunks to perform, but players are labled as dunkers before the fans can form other opinions. Desmond Mason is a teriffic player, as you said, but his dunking means absolutely nothing. Jason Richardson is a great dunker with an above-average game as well; why not give him the MVP?

Anyway, I doubt Mason has a chance to win the Sixth Man Award. The competition is too tough. On benches around the league you have Bobby Jackson, Antwain Jamison, Bonzi Wells, Drew Gooden, Earl Watson, Gordan Giricek, Kwame Brown, Speedy Claxton, and more. Mason is arguably better than a handful of those guys, but there are more players than those. Just about every team has one great sixth man nowadays. While Mason may lead the bucks in field goal percentage and may be a fan favorite for his dunks, I wouldn't even call him the best player on the Bucks bench. That title should go to Dan Gadzuric, who is in the top ten in both rebounds and blocks per forty-eight minutes.

3. Dom_Sensei

Kwame Brown is now a starter
    And I said "Mason is deserving that award because PLUS being a fan favorite thanks to his increadible dunks, he is an above average scorer and a great defender."
    I know dunks don't reflect the level of a player, (Harold Miner, Darvin Hamm) but it make players fan favorite... [​IMG]

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Dom_Sensei:</div><div class="quote_post">Kwame Brown is now a starter
    And I said "Mason is deserving that award because PLUS being a fan favorite thanks to his increadible dunks, he is an above average scorer and a great defender."
    I know dunks don't reflect the level of a player, (Harold Miner, Darvin Hamm) but it make players fan favorite... [​IMG]</div>

It doesn't matter if Kwame Brown starts now. The fact that he benched in the past makes him a sixth man. Bobby Jackson started a great deal of games when he won the award. With all of the injuries in the NBA you'll have a hard time finding a sixth man who hasn't started before (maybe except Bonzi Wells). Also, I know you pointed out the other areas of Mason's game, but the fact remains that you talked about his dunking like it was a positive attribute.

5. Dom_Sensei

"you talked about his dunking like it was a positive attribute"

Yes, for the fans... [​IMG]

6. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Earl Boykins.

Nuff said.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Only Antawn Jamison,Bobby Jackson and Al Harrington are having better seasons off the bench than Mason.He is a key factor in their offense.

8. Dom_Sensei

Without his dunking abilities, Vince Carter will not be considered as a top 10 talent when healhty. He is very good, but guys like Pierce, Redd and even Joe Johnson lately are more valuable.

9. Dom_Sensei

Mason is also a great defensive player, he can shut down a great scorer and bring 13-14pts 5-6rb per game in the same time.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Dom_Sensei:</div><div class="quote_post">Without his dunking abilities, Vince Carter will not be considered as a top 10 talent when healhty. He is very good, but guys like Pierce, Redd and even Joe Johnson lately are more valuable.</div>

Outside of Raptor fans, not many people consider Vince Carter a top ten player when healthy. Dunking ability does nothing but bring your game down. As for Mason's defense, it may be good, but that doesn't make him better than Jamison, Wells, Boykins, or Jackson.

11. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Dom_Sensei:</div><div class="quote_post">Without his dunking abilities, Vince Carter will not be considered as a top 10 talent when healhty. He is very good, but guys like Pierce, Redd and even Joe Johnson lately are more valuable.</div>
    1-KG 6-Kirilenko
    2-Shaq 7-T Mac
    3-Duncan 8-Zach Randolph
    4-Kobe 9-Jason Kidd
    5-Brand 10-Jermaine Oneal
    (in no order)
    They are all as good or better than Vince

As for DMASE, He is a canidate, but Earl Boykins is the leading canidate, followed by Antawn Jamison...then B Jax..D Mases' Value will go up though.

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">1-KG 6-Kirilenko
    2-Shaq 7-T Mac
    3-Duncan 8-Zach Randolph
    4-Kobe 9-Jason Kidd
    (in no order)

As for DMASE, He is a canidate, but Earl Boykins is the leading canidate, followed by Antawn Jamison...then B Jax..D Mases' Value will go up though.</div>

I think you're overrating Boykins because he's short and plays for Denver. He's an attention grabber, but not the best sixth man. Boykins averages almost eleven points, four assists, and two rebounds per game. Bonzi Wells averages about thirteen points, two/three assists, and four rebounds per game. Jamison averages fifteen points, six rebounds, and one assist/steal per game.

13. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

not to mention Drew Gooden is leading all 6th man in rebounding:) .

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Gooden should not be considered,he has started over 13 games this season so therefore It is no surprise he has gotten a decent amount of rebounds.

15. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Outside of Raptor fans, not many people consider Vince Carter a top ten player when healthy. Dunking ability does nothing but bring your game down. As for Mason's defense, it may be good, but that doesn't make him better than Jamison, Wells, Boykins, or Jackson.</div>

How does dunking ability bring a team down? [​IMG]

Dunks can be very effective. A well placed dunk can help turn a game around. It can demoralize an opposing team and bring 'crowd' factor into effect. Saying dunking brings a team down is a vast overstatement.

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Big Nasty:</div><div class="quote_post">How does dunking ability bring a team down? [​IMG]

Dunks can be very effective. A well placed dunk can help turn a game around. It can demoralize an opposing team and bring 'crowd' factor into effect. Saying dunking brings a team down is a vast overstatement.</div>

I said that dunking brings a player's game down, not their team. Dunking is just the same as layups in games, but when a player dunks too much or in a dunk contest the fans start seeing them as just-dunkers. Fans won't ever see Jason Richardson's skills outside of dunking, because that's how he's portrayed by the league, as a dunker. Players can also become too involved in dunking and go for the Sportscenter play rather than the easy shot.

17. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

I'd vote Bobby Jackson as 6th man of the year. He brings it every game. Especially for such a little guy, he gets in there and goes up for boards against the giants, he's fearless.

18. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Earl Boykins.

Nuff said.</div>

Yep, sixth man for sure. I need help with something though, who does anyone think will be the MIP for "sure"?

19. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Q Rich3:</div><div class="quote_post">1-KG 6-Kirilenko
    2-Shaq 7-T Mac
    3-Duncan 8-Zach Randolph
    4-Kobe 9-Jason Kidd
    (in no order)

As for DMASE, He is a canidate, but Earl Boykins is the leading canidate, followed by Antawn Jamison...then B Jax..D Mases' Value will go up though.</div>Kirilenko? Please. Kidd? I dont think so this year. Brand is questionable too.

20. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">Kirilenko? Please. Kidd? I dont think so this year. Brand is questionable too.</div>

I can't believe how you said those things about them. At least speak nicely if you're gonna talk like that. Kirilenko isn't so bad that the word please has to be said.

As for how they are individually. Look at the load and burden they have to carry. The Nets have become a mediocre team so this applies to all of them. They have so much of a burden on their shoulders, having to carry such weak teams. Especially Kirilenko, he has virtually nobody, he provides both the offense and defense and is about the only decent player on the team.

A hard worker, and he's good at it too. A lot better of a player then say, Nene. Brand is in the same boat, their team lacks size and defense, much like the Magic. They have to really much on his blocking and rebounding. He can't do it on his own. Thank goodness he has his own three, Q-Rich and Maggetz, to back him up. They lack defense, size and strength. Look at the Magic and the Bulls, they're perfect examples of this.