Did we really win the Nurkic trade?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Charcoal Filtered, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Darkwebs likes this.
  2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Eastoff and Darkwebs like this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

4. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

Eastoff, PDXFonz, Tince and 4 others like this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the trade balance is a lot closer than it used to be since Nurkic sure appears to be injury prone

also, Nurkic hasn't seemed to improve a lot during off-seasons. His impact in that "Nurkic Fever" 20 game stretch right after the trade has been as big as any stretch since. You'd expect more progression from a young big. Portland's playoff record when Nurkic has been healthy is only 1-8. But it's unlikely Plumlee would have improved that any considering the opponents and how the Blazers lost those games

still, if the scale is balanced between knowns-at-the-time and hindsight I'd give Portland the edge

a couple of other factors, both laid at the feet of Olshey: 1) Blazers needed to punt Plumlee's RFA status a year down the road because of Olshey's 2016 madness; the trade accomplished that. 2) the trade brought in a first round pick that became about 40% of the trade that allowed Olshey to draft Zach Collins. If that would have resulted in Portland drafting Donovan Mitchell or Bam Adebayo, or just drafting a Jarret Allen or OG Anunoby it would have been a slam dunk win. But we can't have nice things around here...apparently

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Plum fever sounds like a venereal disease.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. wizenheimer

I think I had that one time in Oaxaca

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

Yeah, we absolutely won this trade if you look at this deal in a vacuum.

Nurkic, while more injury prone than Plumlee, still is the superior player. We also missed the boat on paying Plumlee $14M a year for 3-4 seasons. On the other hand, we were able to sign Nurk to a very team-friendly deal in 2018 which runs through 2022.

What puts it over the top for me is the first round pick acquired, which ended up being No. 15 in 2017. Again, looking at this trade in a vacuum, and not what Portland did or did not do with the pick, that No. 15 pick was incredibly valuable. The trade allowed Portland to potentially select players such as John Collins, OG Anuoby, Jarrett Allen, and Derrick White.

No matter where you fall on the Nurk fandom spectrum, that pick alone was more valuable than Plumlee.

Tince, BBert and Darkwebs like this.
  9. wizenheimer

Portland received the 20th pick, not the 15th

10. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

You're right. All of those players listed except John Collins would have been available with the 20th pick.

11. wizenheimer

maybe the simplest way to look at it is that Portland traded Plumlee and the 15th pick for Nurkic, Zach, and fragile bones

12. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think we won it hands down if we don't take health into consideration and even if we do, I still think we won. That being said, it could become a huge loss this off season. If the team retains Olshey I think he will extend Nurk and grossly overpay for a big that is almost obsolete in today's NBA. I love Nurk and if he were seen as a platooning center with an athletic counterpart then I'd be cool with keeping him at the salary he is currently making. If we don't get another big that also starts depending on the match up and if we give Nurk a raise then we will be fucking ourselves again, just like we did with CJ... another talented player, that is overpaid, sees too much playing time and just doesn't fit. The only difference is if we give Nurk north of 20M per season, he will not have a place to trade him to where his salary makes sense and CJ does.

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We wouldn't have re-signed Plumlee at his market rate. That was the main driving force behind trading him in the first place.

14. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Hell yea we won that trade. But Nurk doesn’t play much and really doesn’t do shit in the playoffs

15. blazerkor

It's more negativity but I don't know if you could be more accurate.

16. AldoTrapani

How is that negative ? Now ur just being paranoid! Ima nice guy dude

17. blazerkor

I've said, you're nice. I know that! You were being totally accurate about Nurk and there really is nowhere to take it but to a negative place. The guy has been injured and when he's healthy he has his limitations being so big. I was kidding about the negative again part because that stuff is funny. If I didn't think you were well intended I wouldn't say anything.

AldoTrapani likes this.
  18. AldoTrapani

For sure man I was just joking. Yes he’s great when he can stay healthy although he’s very inconsistent a little overrated but it’s better to have him than not! I’ll say that

blazerkor likes this.
  19. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

This is a bad topic.
    Yes we won the trade

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  20. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

nurk missed two playoffs with leg breaks and in the other two, he faced anthony davis who is not only a nightmare matchup for nurk, cause hes more athletic, can play on the perimeter and is elite defender, but hes also quite possibly top 5 player in the league... but when the blazers faced okc, denver and gsw, nurk wasnt playing and he plays his best bball against those very teams, so its pretty easy to say that nurk would dominate that playoffs

so its just a very, very bad luck for nurk with his health and matchups (like dame always struggles against jrue holiday... davis, rondo & holiday, pretty much dominated nurk, cj & dame which resulted in blazers being swept)

AldoTrapani likes this.