Diogu explodes for 37.

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jul 15, 2005.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Promising performance, players dont pt up 37 in SL just by a fluke.

And i wanted to point out Ellis' great performance 15 pts, 2 TOs, 8 assists (I'm guessing most were to Diogu). Perry also stepped it up with 17 points.

3. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Baron in the stands...think he explained to Montae that a PG is supposed to get some assists? [​IMG]
    Ike put it up 28 times,FG+FT,and made 24,pretty efficient. Ronald ross and Brandon Gay were on the summer roster-but I didn't see them in a box score. Interesting as they were 2 guys with a real shot at being in the NBA. I guess they were injured ?

This game may say as much about the Suns summer team as ours but I'll take it. It gives Ellis and Diogu more credibility going into pre-season camp [​IMG]

Now the focus shifts-do the W's do a swap? [​IMG] A deal to add a quality player? [​IMG] Some kind of salary dump where we get a second rate big,and a bag of used parts for a couple of our better players? [​IMG] Do we pick up a low profile,cheap FA and hope to whip him into shape? [​IMG] Or does Mully/Monty figure we are best off to stay with these guys and build them into a quality team? [​IMG]

4. MiamiBalla12

MiamiBalla12 JBB Light-Skinned Assassin

Woah, awesome game for Diogu. Even though it's summer league thats still a lot. Also Monta with an impressive game.

5. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Incredible games by Diogu and Ellis. That is great for the Warriors. Ellis is going to be great for the Warriors off of the bench. Can't wait till preseason and the regular season for the Warriors ookies to get some playing time

6. BDiddyJRich

BDiddyJRich JBB JustBBall Member

I think Ellis is here to stay at the NBA level as the 3rd PG for now.

Learning from Baron and Monty in practice will help him out more than the NBDL in my opinion.

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BDiddyJRich:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Ellis is here to stay at the NBA level as the 3rd PG for now.

Learning from Baron and Monty in practice will help him out more than the NBDL in my opinion.</div>
    I think that if Monta keeps it up and we trade Dunleavy get a good sixth man as a back-up SF. Maybe we would end up like this

PG: Baron Davis/ Monta Ellis/ Derek Fisher
    SG: Jason Richardson/ Derek Fisher
    SF: Mickael Pietrus/ Jiri Welsch/ Zarko Cabarkapa
    PF: Troy Murphy/ Ike Diogu and Zarko Cabarkapa(equal time)/ Chris Taft
    C: Adonal Foyle/ Andris Biedrins/ Chris Taft

8. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

It may be summer league but that's a good sign for the Warriors. I think he will be very good in the future.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Ike is the man. The Warriors got a player who should have been a top pick in the draft if he was 3 inches taller. I'm a big fan of Ike and although it is impressive, I must say I'm not surprised to see him drop 37. Even though it is the summer leagues, it is something to be pleased about and hopefully he turns out well for the Warriors. If the Knicks didn't have so many power forwards, I would've wanted them to take Diogu at #8.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Ike is looking dominant, but we'll see how he does in the NBA. Remember Tkitishvilli a.k.a "Skita" or as REREM calls him, "Shika"? Tskitisvhilli averaged something like 25 ppg, over 50% shooting, and 6 boards and was MVP of his summer league last season.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1046

Check out what Skita did in the summer league this game for the TWolves against Andrew Bogut.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Andrew Bogut ? This performance definitely wasn?t what you?d expect from a number one pick playing his first summerleague game (7 points, 3-6 shooting, 4 rebounds, 5 fouls, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers). Bogut didn?t play poorly, but just didn?t stand out against defenders like Dwayne Jones, Nick Horvath, and Nikoloz Tskitishvili. He struggled to gain position in the post, and just didn?t get very many high percentage opportunities. Bogut?s court awareness, ability to get his shot off, and understanding of the game were evident ? I fully expect him to shake off this performance and come out much stronger tomorrow. However, from this first impression, Andrew Bogut has some serious work to do in terms of strength and athleticism.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili ? Tskitishvili (25 points, 8-11 shooting, 4-5 three pointers, 10 rebounds) was absolutely the story of the night, scoring in just about every way imaginable and becoming an instant crowd favorite. He was unconscious from the perimeter, scored going to the basket, showed off some impressive athleticism in the open floor, and was a big factor on the glass. The real question we have to ask is why in the world would two teams let this guy walk for essentially nothing? Tonight, he was nothing short of the best player at the event. Skita has played well in past summer leagues, so is this just another tantalizing glimpse of stardom that will never come, or could the Wolves have actually picked up a gem here?</div> Keep in mind Tskitisvhilli is an unrestricted free agent and we received him at the trade deadline last year because of the salary cap dump of Eduardo Najera. His nba league value is so low that it's nowhere within being able to be "signed and traded". We simply could not get something for him this offseason because the trade deadline bars it. So I don't know what this writer is talking about in getting something for an unrestricted free agent after the trade deadline and before the offseason when his contract is up. (not like anybody would want him since they don't have his bird rights unless it's another salary cap dump to another team)

Whoever gets him for the MLE will have a special project, though. Only team that really lost out was Denver because they didn't excercise any options on him, that, and they traded him, obviously.

11. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

That is just crazy...

12. Custodianrules2

You know, they don't really talk much about Diogu's defense... So I wonder if he's going to be any much of an upgrade over Murphy in the defensive department.

OT, I was looking over some of Pietrus' play from 2003 and two of his biggest highlights were when Baron Davis was guarding him. He made a little contact with Baron and he sent him flying and then he stepped back and shot the 3 pointer right in front of him. Then there was another play where he drives left and leaves Baron in the dust for the two handed slam dunk right in between PJ Brown and Darrell Armstrong. I love having the game footage from old games even if it does have Barnett mentioning "Dunleavy" in every other clip. BTW Dunleavy looked better in 2003 dribbling the ball and dishing than he did in 2004 for some reason. He looked like a point guard with the no look passes, between the legs cross over and behind the back dribble. Too bad he couldn't really shoot off the catch that year.

13. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, although it's summer league, 37 is 37. So, it's good news to hear.

For 5 summer league games, Diogu averaged 18.4 pts / 8.4 reb / 59% FG / 85% FT. Granted that his number is bit bloated with last game's explosion, but he seems to be solid offensive player, who will shoot near 50% and will grab rebounds in pro. However, his 0.6 blk did bother me as well, because he is already leveled as an undersized pf, and so far, it doesn't look like he will provide an inside helping defense like Foyle. After all, we desperately need a defensive pf, instead of offensive pf, so in that department, it may not be a good news so far...

14. Run BJM

I dont think we should base blocks, assists, or steals off of SL performances because apparently those stats arent accurately recorded in SL games. From reports I've read, I've heard Monta has actually had alot more assists than were recorded and Taft (no blocks recorded in SL) and Diogu got many blocks that were taken away because of fouls on the plays.

15. Custodianrules2

Anyone keeping an eye on Bogut? Diogu was widely thought to be the next best big man after the first overall pick, so I'm not suprised he would dominate against some of these guys. Also Lawrence Roberts is putting up huge numbers in summer league to contrast that with the attention Diogu is getting recently.

16. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

The only game recap I saw on Bogut was a little unimpressive. He had something like 7 or 8 points but a ton of rebounds and a few blocks...

17. REREM

In the latest summer news,Bogut did have a good game Skita/Shika started cold-then was injured. Webster appeared to be only a catch and shoot guy-and they were clanking-he had a bad one-as did Marvin Williams-who looked "lazy" and totally sucked on D. He sucked on D at UNC,which is why Manual started,but nobody believed their eyes. All the Piston games seem to have added negatively to the legend that is Darko-but Maxiel-who is shorter than Ike-has dominated. A guy who is playing great this summer is Nate Robinson. Funny-Nate,Maxiel,Too-short Ike,are kickin' summertime butt-Darko and Marvin the Ultimate are [​IMG]

Larry Roberts had a real solid year-and he's gonna have more real solid years.

18. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">In the latest summer news,Bogut did have a good game Skita/Shika started cold-then was injured. Webster appeared to be only a catch and shoot guy-and they were clanking-he had a bad one-as did Marvin Williams-who looked "lazy" and totally sucked on D. He sucked on D at UNC,which is why Manual started,but nobody believed their eyes. All the Piston games seem to have added negatively to the legend that is Darko-but Maxiel-who is shorter than Ike-has dominated. A guy who is playing great this summer is Nate Robinson. Funny-Nate,Maxiel,Too-short Ike,are kickin' summertime butt-Darko and Marvin the Ultimate are [​IMG]

Larry Roberts had a real solid year-and he's gonna have more real solid years.</div>

Lol. Looks like in the two latests odd years, number two picks suck. At least in SL

19. REREM

Whether it's Marvin W,Kwame,Darko,Olowokandi-or whoever,having a geat bunch of physical tools,and maybe a few decent skills-is just one element of " potential". It is essential a player,a prospect,is willing to pay the price,to be a star.Some don't have that dedication. A player has to give it all on the floor-has to do all he can to learn and polish skills in practice. Some mature and at some point-give the effort-some never do.

Marvin Williams can show you a few superstar moments in every game-and yet at times his fundamentals are belw par for a high school player. While his build suggests a power player in the paint,he has not shown he is tough in a physical battle. His effort on D is often nothing. he was not in the NCAA top 300 in scoring-and scoring is his main focus. Did he begin to "get it" in his year at UNC? No. Will he get it? Probably. The issue is how much time is wasted before he realizes how much harder it really is than he expected--And if he realizes he needs to work harder.

20. Run BJM

I just watched this game (thanks to DanLanghiOwnsAll of RealGM) and here is my impressions of the Warrior's players:

Ike Diogu- He was a monster during this game, he showed a great face-up game and made several turnaround jumpers as well as some great moves in the post. He was probably the smartest player on the court and has very good timing, his long arms and strength translated into a few nice defensive plays. He is a great free throw shooter, he could be the second best on the W's roster (behind Fisher). Even though he got 12 rebounds they didn't really stand out, his rebounding doesn't seem that great but he gets off the ground pretty high when going up for them.

Biedrins- Didn't have a very good game, got some rebounds and blocks but noit much scoring. Solid game overall but nothing too spectacular. Continued to show great quickness.

Monta Ellis- This guy is an ace, so much so that the announcers (they seem clueless) were raving about how much of a steal he was. The guy can do it all, shoot from very deep, penetrate and finish, and play some nice pesky defense. He got a bunch of assists in this game but they didn't stand out that much during the game. He still made several possessions where no one else touched the ball but he makes so many of his shots that its hard to complain. My favorite Monta moment was him driving through the lane, fading to the right side and throwing up a layup behind his head for a clean bank off the glass. He also made a great buzer-beating floater to end the first quarter.

Taft and Zarko didn't play but two of the guys on the Warriors squad I was impressed with were Marque Perry and Ray Young. Marque Perry is a quick little PG who was able to penetrate at will and even showed he had some nice range. Perry also made a nice steal on an inbound pass which he then converted into a layup. Ray Young showed some flashes of a solid player during the Celtics game and in the Phoenix game he was downright surprising. He had a nice jumpshot, though a little streaky, and he seemed very solid on defense. Milkovich (sp?) and Wiliams werent vewry impressive, Milkovic was pretty inconsistent at shoting and seemed one dimensional while Williams wasn't aggressive and his defense wasn't that good.