Do you still think...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

that the Warriors were a better team last year with Arenas and Jamison? A lot of people here didn't even give the Warriors a chance this season...I hope they have changed your mind.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyone needing proof that the Warriors are a dramatically different team from a year ago should go get a game tape of their thrilling 87-85 overtime victory against the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday.

What they'll see is a team that was able to pull out a win almost solely on the strength of its defense, a notion that would have bordered on ridiculous last season.

The Warriors (4-3), sputtering on the offensive end all evening, forced overtime by holding Detroit to 10 points in the fourth quarter, then went out in the extra period and heckled the Pistons into misses on their first six possessions.

"I have to drive a lot around here and I get to listen to sports radio all day and hear about our defense," Warriors coach Eric Musselman said. "But we play pretty (expletive) good defense."

Apparently, Musselman was referring to former Warrior Rick Barry, now a radio host. When asked specifically to whom he was referring, Musselman responded: "I have no comment, but I have seen his team's play (apparently referring to Barry's coaching stint in the minor leagues).</div>

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/sports/7251006.htm

2. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I gave the warriors a chance [​IMG]

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I think there at least as good as they were last year. They might be better, especially after that win last night, that might help me think they are. But, nonetheless. Dunleavy is playing well, Nick Van Exel is doing good, JRich, yea, he's been injured. So, yea, I was one to criticize this team and now I'm really starting to think differently. This team could surprise, especially behind a veteran point guard like Nick.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I said before the season started GS were underrated by alot of people and will make a push at the playoffs.They made a few good FA signings..Mainly Calbert Cheaney. He has been playing amazing basketball.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Yea, Cheany I think was the difference in last nights game. He was something like 12/16 from the floor. Yea, he was good. And, if I'm not correct, wasn't he the one guarding Prince at the end of the OT and didn't allow him to get the shot off before the buzzer rang?

6. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">I said before the season started GS were underrated by alot of people and will make a push at the playoffs.They made a few good FA signings..Mainly Calbert Cheaney. He has been playing amazing basketball.</div>I know, I remember you saying that from the start. And Cheany has played perfect, without him the Warriors would be screwed, especially with J-Rich's absence.

My intention wasn't to say "I told you so", its too early for that. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Calbert Cheaney is shooting 58% from the floor [​IMG] while getting 12 points and 4 rebounds a game.He is shooting better from the field than players like Shaq are at the line.He has been the difference so far this season for GS.That and the great play of Mike Dunleavy who is averaging 15 points and 7 rebounds.

8. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Yea, Dunleavy has been great. But, he missed a couple free throws near the end of the game that could have cost them. Of course Nick also missed a couple in the OT. But, it didn't matter, they won nonetheless and, if they keep playing well, should be opening a few more eyes around the league.

9. Rudeezy

And don't forget about "The Custodian" Brain Cardinal. :mrgreen:

10. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea, Dunleavy has been great. But, he missed a couple free throws near the end of the game that could have cost them. Of course Nick also missed a couple in the OT. But, it didn't matter, they won nonetheless and, if they keep playing well, should be opening a few more eyes around the league.</div>NVE made 1/2 and Dunleavy made 1/2 in OT. Yes, it could've cost them the game. Luckily for them, Prince couldn't get the shot off.

11. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors always been pretty decent in my eyes...NVE is my boi! haha I was supportin' them all the way during the game. Go Nick!...a part of me doesn't want them to do well, because that means chances of Sonics being in the playoff will even be higher, but...hey, you can't stop anything roiite? yeahhhh...Dunleavy...hmm, he seems pretty dam good...I'd trust him with the ball in clutch time mos. definetely.

12. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

It's not only Chaeney, but Brian Cardinal of all people that have given the team a boost. They are getting production from every single person on the team instead of just the regular four from last year (Arenas, Boykins, JRich, Jamison). Nick Van Exel has also brought a whole new attitude to the team. His days with Dallas have really changed his outlook on the game as he is more supportive with him teammates and he is more patient to let things happen on the floor and exploit what the defense gives him. That being said, I think last years' team was better, but this years team may do better in the standings (if that makes sense).

13. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think the Warriors are one of the most under-rated teams in the league. Dampier is an absolute beast on the boards. He is what all the teams in the West need. He is a hard worker, will bang with others, and will come out with the ball. Now that Jamison and Forston are gone, he gets every rebound. Dont be surprised if he has the most rebounds per game by the end of the year. Nick Van Exel gives them experience and someone that can score when you need a score. Cheaney who is playing a terrific year, in the temporary absence of Jason Richardon, is a very talented player. He just hasnt got much exposure considering he was playing for the Jazz last year. Dunleavy is still learning the game and can only get better.

If the Warriors were in the East they would be a playoff team. They wont make the playoffs this year, however they are certianly not a "joke" team. If teams like the Lakers and Mavs dont take them seriously, the Warriors suprise them and come out with a victory.