Doc Hopes Austin Rivers Returns To Clippers

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by truebluefan, May 26, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If general manager Dave Wohl had his way, Austin Rivers would’ve been a Clipper long before January, when the 22-year-old guard made his way to Los Angeles as part of a three-team deal.

And if head coach Doc Rivers could go back, he would’ve listened to Wohl’s advice to get his son before the season began. Instead, the Clippers used the bi-annual exception on Jordan Farmar for two years at $4.2 million. Six months later, the Clippers waived Farmar and traded for Austin Rivers.

“It was a gamble for me personally,” Doc Rivers said. “It was just a tough one for me. I was on the other side of not wanting to do it, and I’m glad I listened to people for a change. I wasn’t so stubborn. I give Dave Wohl credit, before the season started and we signed Jordan or anyone, he wanted that to happen and I didn’t hear any of that.

“In retrospect, it would have been nice to have him the whole year. It would have been better. That was a mistake. I probably should have.”

The Clippers sent Reggie Bullock to the Suns and Chris Douglas-Roberts and a second-round pick to the Celtics in the deal bringing in Austin Rivers, who averaged 7.1 points, 1.7 assists and two rebounds per game in 41 regular season games for the Clippers this season.

He also added added some spectacular postseason moments, scoring 16 points off the bench in Game 4 against the Spurs and putting together his finest moment of the playoffs in Game 3 against the Rockets one round later, going 10-for-13 while scoring 26 points and pulling down six rebounds in 23 minutes.

- See more at: http://www.nba.com/clippers/doc-hopes-austin-rivers-returns-to-clippers