Does Melo deserve a spot?

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by purpleb0n9, Jan 26, 2005.

1. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

IMO he does. He hasn't been able to find his rhythm all season, yet he still averages 20.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.0 steal easy. Against the Bulls tonight, he didn't force up shots, he looked for the game to come to him, he scored when it mattered the most (2 3s in the final minute) to rally Denver within 3 and 2 pts, too bad he missed the final one that would have won the game for us. He finished with a game-high 32 pts on 11-20 shooting.

Here are my projected bench for the West, assuming the starters will stay the same as today's: Dirk Nowitzki, Baron Davis, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Ray Allen, Brad Miller, Carmelo Anthony.

Snubbies:
    Corey Maggette - gets majority of his points from the stripes.
    Jason Richardson - fans would love him there, I don't think the west coach will
    Elton Brand - actually averages worse points and rebounds than last season and he didn't play in the All Star in LA.
    Chris Webber - is rebounding from last year's injury but everybody seems to already get over the C-Webb's craze.

There is also an X factor that the events will be held in Denver.

2. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Not Even

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purpleb0n9:</div><div class="quote_post">IMO he does. He hasn't been able to find his rhythm all season, yet he still averages 20.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.0 steal easy. Against the Bulls tonight, he didn't force up shots, he looked for the game to come to him, he scored when it mattered the most (2 3s in the final minute) to rally Denver within 3 and 2 pts, too bad he missed the final one that would have won the game for us. He finished with a game-high 32 pts on 11-20 shooting. </div>
    Just because he had one good game doesn't mean he's worthy of an All Star position.

His numbers have gone down from last season and his attitude is terrible. He doesn't deserve to make it and it would be a great wake up call for him.

Last season he averaged 21 points and 6.1 rebounds. This season he's only averaging 20 and 5.8. If he's really worthy of an All Star position his numbers should have improved.

4. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

No. Not even close.

Look at all the forwards ahead of him:

Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire (will be voted in as a backup C), Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojackovic, Corey Maggette, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Carlos Boozer, Rashard Lewis, heck Lamar Odom, Randolph and Troy Murphy have had more All-Star worthy seasons than him.

5. FooDoggg3xB

FooDoggg3xB JBB JustBBall Member

Melo dont deserve it this year... yeah Marion deserves it way more and so does proba bunch others.

6. jbb94ftOfTherapy

jbb94ftOfTherapy JBB JustBBall Member

Even i will admit, and im the biggest nuggets fa on this board, that he doesnt deserve a spot on the roster. Hes been dissapointing this season and he will not be picked.

7. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jtam101:</div><div class="quote_post">Not Even</div>
    I think that sums it up nicely

8. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Other forwards in contention: Nowitzki, Brand, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Kirilenko, Boozer, Webber, Stojakavic. The coaches aren't to put more than 3 or 4 forwards on the bench, and Anthony probably isn't even in the top five of that group. No, I don't think he deserve it.

9. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

It's funny I thought this guy was asking if Melo deserved a spot in the All star lineup. Funny guy. [​IMG]

10. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

11. Da_Future_2k5

Da_Future_2k5 JBB Banned Member

hell naw man, Melo has played horrible this year compared to the expectations of what he would do... disappointing year

12. Da_Future_2k5

and yo to the thread maker, are you thinking clearly? or a diehard Nuggets fan?? because think about this..

does Melo really deserve a spot over the other forwards in the West??

such as: KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare, Marion, Webber, Brand, Maggette, ETC.

the answer is nooooooooooooooooo way in hell

13. jbb94ftOfTherapy

Alright well let me say two things. One, please don't double post theres an edit button for a reason. Second, theres a key word in there. Expectations. Melo's expectations for this season were through the roof, and while i don't think that he deserves a spot on the team, no matter how good he played it would never be good enough.

14. Da_Future_2k5

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 94ftOfTherapy:</div><div class="quote_post">Second, theres a key word in there. Expectations. Melo's expectations for this season were through the roof, and while i don't think that he deserves a spot on the team, no matter how good he played it would never be good enough.</div>

thats not true at all, IF Denver was an improved team from last year, and he was puttin up around 22 pts a game then he'd deserve it.

But hes averaging less a game than last year so far.. and to top that his team is playing horrible, even with the addition of K-Mart, plus hes shooting worse from the field as well.. just a bad year, no matter how you put it.

i know you will come back and say "how can averaging 20 a game be a bad year" and the answer is, by shooting 39% and your team looking like the old Denver Nuggets. [​IMG]

15. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Other forwards in contention: Nowitzki, Brand, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Kirilenko, Boozer, Webber, Stojakavic. The coaches aren't to put more than 3 or 4 forwards on the bench, and Anthony probably isn't even in the top five of that group. No, I don't think he deserve it.</div>

I've put Nowitzki on my West bench, Brand is having a worse season statistically than last season and he didn't play in LA, Shard sort of cancels each other out with Ray Allen (who made my bench), Shawn Marion has had to share stats with Stoudemire (who made my bench) and two Suns (and Nash) are enough on the All Star team, forget Lamar Odom... he's failed to even reach his lowly scoring average (14+ pts) in 3 of the 6 games Kobe's out, Boozer isn't consistent and his team had a worse record than the Nuggets, Webber has definitely improved from last season but isn't he hasn't returned into his old form yet, and Stojakovic is the strongest candidate here either him or Melo should get in. But ask yourself, who do the fans come to see? LeBron vs. Stojakovic? Or LeBron vs. Melo?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Da_Future_2k5:</div><div class="quote_post">and yo to the thread maker, are you thinking clearly? or a diehard Nuggets fan?? because think about this..

does Melo really deserve a spot over the other forwards in the West??

such as: KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare, Marion, Webber, Brand, Maggette, ETC.

the answer is nooooooooooooooooo way in hell</div>

KG, Duncan are starters, Marion, Webber, Brand are explained above, and Maggette scores the majority of his points from the ft line. It's no fun seeing some player attempt 10-15 fts and be named MVP for scoring 23 pts.

16. Da_Future_2k5

well mayne i got your boy 'Melo on my fantasy team and he just isn't doing it big like he was last year, the stats show it, the win/losses show it, everything. from the DVD thing, to the weed, nothing going 'Melo way this year, ever since he got Punk'd by Kutcher he hasn't been the same ha

17. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

exactly

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">No. Not even close.

Look at all the forwards ahead of him:

Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire (will be voted in as a backup C), Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojackovic, Corey Maggette, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Carlos Boozer, Rashard Lewis, heck Lamar Odom, Randolph and Troy Murphy have had more All-Star worthy seasons than him.</div>

Perfect. Exactly my thoughts. Did anyone else notice that Melo has seriously regressed this year with more around him. [​IMG]

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Many forwards in the league ahead of him. Also the Nuggets have been surprisingly struggling. Not catching many peoples eyes. He is going to get snubbed. This is why people are forgetting the whole Melo/LeBron thing because LeBrons Cavaliers are surging while Melo's Nuggets are faltering.

19. jbb94ftOfTherapy

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">and your team looking like the old Denver Nuggets. </div> lol ya thats what we like to call in Denver the curse of Paul Westhead. Whenever something goes right, some goes terribly wrong.

20. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Even though I love Carmelo he doesn't deserve any position in the All-Star game. There are guy's who have improved tremendously like Amare Stoudemire in particular. Even though Carmelo isn't having a bad year statistically he hasn't gotten better at all.

Some may call it a sophomore slump but that?s not it. Slumping is a situation when you?re getting worse. It's not that Carmelo is getting worse, it's just he isn't getting better. And at this stage of his career, it could be just as bad.

Hopefully Melo won't care about this stuff anyways, and just focus on finishing the Nuggets season strong and turning things around for the franchise (again). We all know he can do it, so now it's just a matter of getting hungry and executing.