Politics Donald Trump Jr walks out of Triggered book launch after heckling – from supporters

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 11, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Donald Trump Jr ventured on to the University of California’s overwhelmingly liberal Los Angeles campus on Sunday, hoping to prove what he had just argued in his book – that a hate-filled American left was hell-bent on silencing him and anyone else who supported the Trump presidency.

But the appearance backfired when his own supporters, diehard Make America Great Again conservatives, raised their voices most loudly in protest and ended up drowning him out barely 20 minutes into an event scheduled to last two hours.

The audience was angry that Trump Jr and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, would not take questions. The loud shouts of “USA! USA!” that greeted Trump when he first appeared on the stage of a university lecture hall to promote his book Triggered: How The Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us quickly morphed into even louder, openly hostile chants of “Q and A! Q and A!”

The 450-strong audience had just been told they would not be allowed to ask questions, “due to time constraints”.

At first, Trump and Guilfoyle tried to ignore the discontent, which originated with a fringe group of America Firsters who believe the Trump administration has been taken captive by a cabal of internationalists, free-traders, and apologists for mass immigration.

When the shouting would not subside, Trump Jr tried – and failed – to argue that taking questions from the floor risked creating soundbites that leftwing social media posters would abuse and distort. Nobody was buying that.

In minutes, the entire argument put forward by the president’s son – that he was willing to engage in dialogue but that it was the left that refused to tolerate free speech – crumbled.

“I’m willing to listen…” Trump began.

“Q and A! Q and A!” the audience yelled back.

“We’ll go into the lion’s den and talk …” Trump tried again.

“Then open the Q and A!” came the immediate response.

Guilfoyle, forced to shout to make herself heard, told students in the crowd: “You’re not making your parents proud by being rude and disruptive.”

She and Trump Jr left the stage moments later.

The fiasco pointed to a factional rift on the Trump-supporting conservative right that has been growing rapidly in recent weeks, particularly among “zoomers” – student-age activists. On one side are one of the sponsors of Trump Jr’s book tour, Turning Point USA, a campus conservative group with a track record of bringing provocative rightwing speakers to liberal universities.

On the other side are far-right activists – often referred to as white supremacists and neo-Nazis, although many of them reject such labels – who believe in slamming the door on all immigrants, not just those who cross the border without documents, and who want an end to America’s military and diplomatic engagement with the wider world.

A number of the loudest voices at Sunday’s event were supporters of Nick Fuentes, a 21-year-old activist with a podcast called America First that has taken particular aim at Turning Point USA and its 25-year-old founder, Charlie Kirk. In a number of his own recent campus appearances, Kirk has faced questions accusing him of being more interested in supporting Israel than in putting America first. He has responded by calling his detractors conspiracists and racists.

On Sunday, Kirk appeared alongside Trump Jr. and Guilfoyle but said nothing.

Two Fuentes supporters, delighted with the outcome of Trump Jr’s appearance, later told the Guardian the pro-Trump movement was being infected with “fake conservatism” and that the president himself was at the mercy of a cabal of deep state operatives who wouldn’t let him do many of the things he campaigned on.

The pair, who called themselves Joe and Orion Miles, said: “It was an absolute disaster for them. We wanted to ask questions about immigration and about Christianity, but they didn’t want to face those questions.”

Also, if Trump Jr was expecting “triggered” leftwingers to clamour for his silence, he did not get it. No more than 35 protesters showed up and, despite making a lot of noise with drums and whistles and shouts of “Trump-Pence Out Now!”, resisted taunts and insults from provocateurs in Make America Great Again hats from across a line of metal barriers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ed-book-launch-after-heckling-from-supporters

stampedehero and Lanny like this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

You can't make this shit up, writes book about how the left if triggered, gives speech on book to right, gets triggered, leaves.

#Snowflake

3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact the last name of one of the people the article mentioned, who they mentioned as a Nazi, is Fuentes.

Isn't that a Hispanic name?

4. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I was surprised to read this at your link:
    "But the appearance backfired when his own supporters, diehard Make America Great Again conservatives, raised their voices most loudly in protest and ended up drowning him out barely 20 minutes into an event scheduled to last two hours."

5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Where do they say he is a Nazi?

Lanny likes this.
  6. julius

singer songwriter
    Sorry, I think I combined two thoughts in my post, and forgot to link to a page.

(I'm not sure if the page is legit, or like the onion)

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nick_Fuentes

Lanny and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  7. Lanny

Effectively and to perhaps 60% of the population but I'll bet the other 40% has a different view.
    No, I too was taken by the Nazi remark and found no reference in the link. There's quite a bit of inference involved.
    I would have preferred calling him a Trump cult member or even a far Right winger.

8. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

It's a horrible thing when you buy a bunch of angry little chihuahuas and they turn on you.

barfo

riverman, Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. Lanny

I just looked him up. Fuentes is just a kid and a college dropout. How can anyone take him seriously?

10. julius

singer songwriter
    So he's another Jacob Wohl?

11. Lanny

Are you gonna make me look up yet another name?
    Actually, the name looks familiar. Isn't he the character who made up stories about Trump or some very familiar politician that were totally fabricated?

12. julius

singer songwriter
    He's the one who made up stories about Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren (the former seal who was her sex partner), and others. Holds press (laughable) press conferences and overall makes a huge ass of himself every time he has "dirt" on someone.

Lanny likes this.
  13. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

I am leaning towards scared shitless. His supporters are right wingers after all...

Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Yes, you can make this up, and did.

These are not Trump supporters by any stretch of imagination. They did not vote for him and were likely paid for their performances by George Soros who mysteriously called off his paid antifa thugs for the night.

This was a skit for the fake news.

15. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Where do you think all the NAZI’s escaped to?

Most living NAZI supporters have Hispanic names.

16. SlyPokerDog

So giant conspiracy of people fooling Trump Jr and showing up to easily trigger him.

vs

Or Trump Jr is too stupid to answer Trump supports questions on policy?

Either scenario doesn't make Trump jr look too bright.

But I'll have to go with the 2nd one.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    So, kind of serious question but why would a bunch of “supporters” of any one be demanding a Q&A about their positions?

Im not saying this is a conspiracy or whatever but the story does seem to have some logical holes in it. It doesnt sound like those people were there as “supporters” of his.

Its also not that uncommon To not have Q&A’s at these type of events so why they would be demanding one from some that were told they support, seems a bit odd.

18. SlyPokerDog

The pair were promoting Trump Jr.'s book, 'Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us.' But it was a fringe faction of conservatives who complained loudly after Turning Point USA announced that the planned Q&A session had been canceled.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-speech-Holocaust-denier-leads-heckling.html

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I didnt see this originally(?) Not sure if it was in OP, long, long day.

20. SlyPokerDog

Different source/article.