Donnie Darko

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jul 5, 2007.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...on_likes_darko/

He certainly wouldn't cost anything like Jason Richardson now.

He's big, skilled and can block shots. Now that we have Wright, I don't think it's urgent to sign him but why not pay him the MLE? I really think he'd be a GREAT fit to play center for Nelson. Problem is I don't know how him and Biedrins share minutes but for the right price, I'd sign him and and move from there.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

That would actually be pretty exciting if Darko can revive his power forward game. We could play Beans and Darko together with Darko taking some of the stronger center assignments.

But there's always going to be naysayers about Darko and his attitude and the way he broke his hand while trying to make a dunk and other stuff. But when I saw him play after Detroit Blowout wins, he was pretty unique and impressive for his size, especially handling the ball. It could be the Zarko Cabarkapa love talking, though. I like those 6'11 or 7 foot tall players that can dribble, pass, and shoot, but I hope they get closer to the rim, not farther away like what we saw with Nowitzki and Murphy offensively. Defensively, he looks like an intimidating shotblocker and he's very strong looking. With his strength and athleticism, he might make a fantastic rebounder for us.

He can shoot 20 feet out, but if his free throw shooting doesn't get up to 75%, I'll be viewing him as a type of mental midget.

3. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

If we add any salary during this season, signing both Biedrins and Monta will be awfully hard. Our salary right now is 50 mils, and it probably will be similar next year (43.2 mils right now + POB, Wright, Marco, and other contracts). And if we don't pay luxury tax, we will have roughly 20 mils to allocate salaries. That has been said...

We can't sign and trade for Darko, and if we can actually sign him for MLE, why not? I would absolutey love to sign him for MLE/3 years. With his talent and potential, it's definitely worth a gamble...

4. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> If we add any salary during this season, signing both Biedrins and Monta will be awfully hard. Our salary right now is 50 mils, and it probably will be similar next year (43.2 mils right now + POB, Wright, Marco, and other contracts). And if we don't pay luxury tax, we will have roughly 20 mils to allocate salaries. That has been said...</div>

Mullin's found ways to move guys that we thought he never could. So I wouldn't jump to that point...

5. fatballer_10

fatballer_10 JBB JustBBall Member

IF he was available for MLE then EVERYONE would want to sign him!!! It looks as though many teams are interested and the one with the most available cash will get his services.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Magic Withdraw Qualifying Offer to Milicic

July 3, 2007

ORLANDO, FL -- The Orlando Magic have withdrawn its qualifying offer to Darko Milicic, making him an unrestricted free agent, General Manager Otis Smith announced.

With the move, the Magic have relinquished its right of first refusal, but retain the qualifying veteran exception (Bird Rights) and the rights to re-sign him.</div>

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Withdr...230661-800.html

An S&T is still possible for Darko. I would imagine he'll get a contract like Gooden/Wilcox/Kwame Brown at around 7-8 mils/year for 3 years. We have the TE to work with or maybe we could even try to dump Al Harrington on them since they need a veteran PF, which would keep the total team salary about the same and keep us out of the lux tax.

I'd like to sign him to a 3 year deal but wouldn't risk offering him any more thna that. Guys definitely got the talent, size, skill, etc. you look for in a young big but there seems to be major issues with his work ethic and his sense of entitlement in the NBA.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Does anyone know if he has a low post game yet? I think the guy can shoot with either hand, but I think he is also strong and quick-footed enough to have a nice back-to-the-basket type of game at some point. That would definitely drive his demand up, though.

8. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

I've read that he's looking for $10mil per....

9. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">CohanHater Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Mullin's found ways to move guys that we thought he never could. So I wouldn't jump to that point...</div>

Mullin certainly did a great job at dumping salaries. But, unless Mullin is confident that he can make another Richardson type of trade during next offseason, we have to dump contract such as Foyle or Harrington right now for an expiring contract. Besides, Mullin was able to fleece Bobcat probably because of Jordan and Higgins, but teams like Suns have sold their first round picks for like 3 straight years just to lower their salaries. The reality is that dumping salary is just hard thing to do. So, even though Mullin was able to dump contracts this time, I wouldn't go shopping spree and expect Mullin to dump salaries once again. Besides, Foyle and Harrington are much harder to dump than Richardson.

Is sign-and-trade available for Darko? I guess until Magic officially sign Lewis, sign-and-trade may be available. But, I believe in order to sign Lewis, they have to renounce Darko's right to create caproom. If so, they wouldn't be able to make sign-and-trade deal. That means they cannot take salaries in return. For that matter, we are in a good situation because of the exception...

10. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

This trade would seem to make the JRich trade look kind of dumb. Perhaps they trade Wright for Darko to make it in the end JRich for Darko. But idk, this will be a crazy offseason indeed.