Doug Christie Traded To Magic For Cuttino Mobley And Michael Bradley

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by .cabangbang, Jan 10, 2005.

1. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

2. PejaForThree

PejaForThree JBB JustBBall Member

3. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

wow.. big big surprise there.
    of anyone that has been talking trades (and I am NOT going to count the one guy that kept talking about trading Christie, but never gave any thought about who to trade him for)... Christie has been one guy that no one has ever really talked about trading.

the question I have is does the addition of Mobley's offensive game make up for the lack of any defense that is lost with christie... Mobley has a career avarage of around 16ppg (or pretty close based on what was said on the radio about it)

or... and this is just my own hypothisys.... is this a move simply to make it easier to package another move in a few days?

fairwell DC.... you were alway one of the main guys that made this team jump from the laughing stock of the league to the genuine item

4. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

I don't really see how this makes sense for the Kings. With BJax gone for the season, Christie was the backup PG, and now who's the backup? Eddie House?

5. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

that is the worst trade ever for the magic. why would u trade ur second best player and best shooter. for the kings it is a good trade. how they pulled it off i dont know

6. Peja King

Peja King JBB JustBBall Member

yeah i think its a good move.. yeah christie played good D but he wasn't producing on offense.. and he's old too.. Mobley has heart and he's good offensif player.. i think he can play D

7. Spurs_fan_north

Spurs_fan_north JBB JustBBall Member

I'm thinking that harbinger might be right, this is just way of packaging things up for another trade. Could this be the end of CWeb?

I don't really think that this is a good trade for the Kings...it completely destroys their defensive abilities. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of the Kings, it would be a shame.

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I like this from a Kings perspective. As a Rockets fan who has followed Mobley throughout his career with the Rockets, I can tell you that Mobley will run the floor, get you a steal or two, and score 12-20 points each night. He is not worse than Christie in any aspect of the game except defense and he is a few years younger than DC. Michael Bradley, from his days in Toronto, impressed me with his offensive rebounding and post defense. He is a scrappy player who is good to fill out a roster with. Kings win big in this one.

9. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Spurs_fan_north:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm thinking that harbinger might be right, this is just way of packaging things up for another trade. Could this be the end of CWeb?

I don't really think that this is a good trade for the Kings...it completely destroys their defensive abilities. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of the Kings, it would be a shame.</div>
    To answer that I am only going to quote Petrie from his on air interview that occured about 5:00PST today

"the defensive problems that we are going through right now are not going to be either solved or made impossible by the this trade"

which is correct. yes DC brought his A game defensively night in & night out... but for a team that lacks defense as much as the Kings do, there is little chance that this one move is going to run them into the land of no hopes...

10. McGrady^1

McGrady^1 JBB JustBBall Member

wow...i can just see some records for 3 pt shooting being broken ....mobley bibby peja....just imagine how many 3s they'll jack up

11. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Haha,the end of the kings Spurs_fan_north? Dont get your hopes up.Petrie is far too smart to let that happen.How the hell did Petrie pull this one off.Quite frankly,im shocked.Why would the Magic do this.Christie cant have more than the rest of this year and next year left in him.To answer the question about defense,im fairly sure Mobley is a better than average defender.Also,Maurice Evans is a very capable defender.The kings have been showing signs of struggling lately,im sure this trade was intended to solve their problems.The idea of Mobley for a package deal in the future is a very interesting idea.However,i hope the kings just stick with Mobley.The kings were a good 3pt shooting team before and will be a deadly shooting team now.If youre a kings fan I dont know how you could not like this.

12. Bosnian

Bosnian JBB JustBBall Member

I dont know whats Going on Anymore

This Trade doesnt make sense for either Team Doug Christie was a great Chemistry Player for the Kings just like Divac was now they trade him for Cat and i dont understand why Magic would give up Mobley when they where doing so well with him

I am going to say the same thing that I said in the Magic Fourm This can only mean one thing that the Kings are falling apart No More Chemistry

13. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Youre right Bosnian.Just like how the Sonics are choking [​IMG] .Ease off on the hating there buddy...

14. McGrady^1

McGrady^1 JBB JustBBall Member

divac gone, dc gone...i can see webber gone soon packaged with perhaps mobley to NY or something

15. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

At first, I wasn't too happy about this but the more I think about this trade, the more that it starts to grow on me. Doug is beginning to get old (34) and from what I saw this year, was contributing less both offensively and defensively, compared to years past. By the Kings getting Mobley, Sacramento more than makes up for the loss of Bobby Jackson (and the addition of Eddie House as well) offensively, and the biggest question shifts to defense. Mobley is a very underrated defender and should be able to slow down some of the more talented players in the West at his position. Remember, he was able to succeed on a Houston team in the West before going to Orlando. Also, I think that this trade was made possible due to the increased level of play of both Maurice Evans and Kevin Martin. Martin was touted as being a second comming of Doug Christie when he was drafted, and the more time that he gets, the more that he will be able to reach that potential. At 6'7", Martin would be able to draw some of the taller more athletic players such as Q. Rich and between he and Mobley, they should be able to do a decent job of filling the foid left by Christie. Eddie House is also a good pick up who can get a fair number of steals so that will help the Kings' cause even more. The only downside to this trade from a Kings fan point of view is that we also get stuck with Michael Bradley... and if that's the downside, then I think that Petrie has done a wonderful job once again.

16. ksc6000

ksc6000 JBB JustBBall Member

i'm gonna miss doug

17. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

I personally called for his trade for months now, his production has fallen off lately and I certainly don't believe he's gifted enough defensively to make up for his lack of offensive contributions. I much rather have a youthful player who can score 16 PPG and play solid defense like Mobley, than a player who can score 6 PPG, play good - sometimes great - defense, but has only a few years left in his career, at best. Besides, Sacramento isn't built on defense. They've always been built around out scoring their opponent and playing decent enough defense to get them victories, so this is nothing new, right?

18. NuSpace

NuSpace JBB JustBBall Member

The more I think about it, the better the Kings seem to be. The Kings team, overall, is getting younger and more athletic, and by moving Christie, they open up time for other members of the squad to develop.

Eddie House maybe our solution to replacing BJax, who is injured now and will eventually leave the team for a starting position and more money, a spark off the bench and scorer.

Kevin Martin will see more time to fit into the role that Christie left to him as backup to Mobley.

We picked up Maurice Evans, who's athleticism and hustle, has made him a fan favorite.

I haven't seen enough of Bradley to evaluate him, but there are some who are saying given a chance, this guy will suprise a lot of people.

There is a lot of potential on this bench here. If only CWebb would get just a little bit more of his legs under him...

On the flipside, I'm gonna miss Christie. I love this guy, man! His leadership, heart and hustle has help transformed the Sacramento Franchise. It's difficult for us fans to see such influencial players like Vlade and Christie go off. These guys are gonna have big shoes to fill...

19. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NuSpace:</div><div class="quote_post">The more I think about it, the better the Kings seem to be. The Kings team, overall, is getting younger and more athletic, and by moving Christie, they open up time for other members of the squad to develop.</div>

Exactly. Christie was a nice piece to have around, but he was making 7.5 million dollars this season, to be followed by 8.2 million dollars in 2005-2006. His production since his injury has fallen off, and he's a questionable paycheck even when he's healthy.

The way I see things, we've lost a little bit of defense in exchange for more youth, more athleticism, and more offensive fire power. We've widened our core of future players with this transaction, Certainly Doug Christie and future were never used in the same sentence amongst the fans of Sacramento. Cuttino Mobley on the other hand can become a major contributor on this ball club for several years to come, and it's about time The Kings office starts thinking about future stability!

20. Love4TheKings13

Love4TheKings13 JBB JustBBall Member

Still can't believe this..I want my Dougie back! [​IMG]