Draft Capsule: Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

VITALS: 6-8, 220, freshman, Syracuse

OVERVIEW: Anthony had one of the finest freshman seasons in NCAA basketball history by leading Syracuse to its first national championship. Anthony averaged 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds and was a consensus national freshman of the year. Anthony recorded 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists in the national championship victory over Kansas. The Baltimore native was the freshman to earn Final Four Most Outstanding Player honors since Louisville's Pervis Ellison in 1986. The 6-8 forward had a spectacular college debut with 27 points and 11 rebounds in a loss to Memphis. Anthony shot 34 percent on 3-pointers at Syracuse. Anthony rebounded from some early free-throw problems to shoot 70 percent last season. In high school, Anthony had a memorable game against LeBron James' high school when James was a junior, outdueling him as Anthony's Oak Hill Academy team emerged victorious. Anthony led Oak Hill Academy to a 32-1 record in his final year.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Third overall. Cleveland (1) has acknowledged that it will select Ohio prep G-F Lebron James and Detroit (2) has said the same about Serbian F Darko Milicic. That leaves Denver at No. 3 to scoop up Anthony. Do not be surprised, however, if the Nuggets trade the pick to another team that is higher on Anthony than they are.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Glenn Robinson

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Billy Owens, Lionel Simmons

ROLE PROJECTION: Immediate starter, future All-Star.

POSITIVES: When one watches Carmelo Anthony play, the word that most often comes to mind is "smooth." Despite his size, Anthony moves like he is on skates, and it is difficult to pinpoint the moment in which he shifts into higher gear. In terms of fundamentals, Anthony is highly polished. He is a good ballhandler at 6-8, and shoots the long ball well for his age. Anthony is not all finesse, however, as he displays a rarely seen toughness on the offensive boards.

SHORTCOMINGS: The NBA is all about matchups. With great size, you can create shots by going over the top of your opponent. With great speed, you can create shots by going around your opponent. One has to wonder whether Anthony's game will limited at the next level by neither being ultra-big or ultra-athletic. Players such as Jamal Mashburn and Glenn Robinson came into the league with "superstar" written all over them. Their inability to cause matchup problems with their opponents in the NBA, however, have limited them to what would be considered All-Star careers at best.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "How many guys can lead their team to a national championship as a freshman? He's the complete package totally a great kid, hard worker, extremely talented. As good as he s now, he's got a lot of room for growth. We're thrilled to death to be looking at a kid like that." Denver Nuggets assistant general manager Jeff Weltman

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

nice profile, i think and hope melo does good and becomes a future all star.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Melo made a big mistake not working out with us...with darko's problems right now....his fault for being a cry baby....good luck on a lottery team when you could of been on a contender for years to come...

4. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

a big cry baby... shut up... this kid has heart is is gunna be ROY... Detroit is stupid for nothin draftin him... upside is Grob, esh, I hope they man Grob with defense...

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

He didn't work-out with pistons because he thought there was no point....get him a rattle...

chris bosh a guy expected to be a pick behind him worked out...detroit are stupid for not drafting melo? [​IMG] we are going to to draft a player that don't come around everyday..a very good BIG MAN....there have been loads of players like melo....glenn robinson anyone?

6. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

to be honest... i dont see this 7 foot white man being any different that a shawn bradley doofy bust... i really cant see it... sorry, but im sure he will prove me wrong...

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

MY GOD...Read the articles at least one.......and the clips darko has 10 times more skill that bradley ever has.....he can score,shoot,rebound,block play defence....he can do it all....not many players of this skill and speed at his height come around often in the NBA

But anyways i'm not going to prove to anyone on here AGAIN what darko brings,the skills he has and how good he will be..

8. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Ive seen clips of him and hes pretty damn good... but still dont see him being any better than KevinG, TimmyD, Big Diseal, JNeal and the rest of the NBA big men white bitch... but like I said, he'll prove me wrong... dont turn this into a Darko topic allnet [​IMG]

9. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "purehoops":</div><div class="quote_post"> dont turn this into a Darko topic allnet [​IMG]</div>

If you look it was you who started to make this into a darko topic [​IMG] i only mentioned that pistons would take him over melo...who will likely go to nuggets who will score points but not much else.

10. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

no I said Detroit is stupid for not takin him... your the first one to mention darko's name [​IMG]

11. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

you said we should take melo..so i explained why anthony would not be choosen by us.He will go to nuggets where i don't think he will have alot of success..but because of their lack of scorers he will score quite abit....

12. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I also see Glenn Robinson in him. Many people say he is like an Antoine Walker, or Paul Pierce mix.