Draft Capsule: Marcus Banks

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

VITALS: 6-2, 220, senior, Nevada-Las Vegas

OVERVIEW: Banks spent two seasons at Nevada-Las Vegas after transferring from Dixie Community College in Utah. Banks was one of the most explosive scorers in the country a year ago after averaging 20.3 points to rank second in the Mountain West Conference. Banks has displayed improved point-guard skills and led the MWC with 5.5 assists per game. Banks is a tremendous athlete who played football in high school and is a cousin of former Arizona State guard Ron Riley, a second-round selection by Seattle in 1996. Banks is also a tremendous defender who came up with 91 steals a year ago. Banks is an example of a late bloomer who is quickly maturing into an intriguing pro prospect.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Mid-to-late first round. Rumor is someone has made a promise to Banks that they will select him, and many believe the Celtics (16, 20) to be that club. There is a chance he could climb, however, into the beginning half of the first round, as the Sonics (12, 14) and Magic (15) are also looking for point guards.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Jay Williams

ROLE PROJECTION: Future starter.

POSITIVES: Banks is a terrific scorer with an unbelievable ability to shake his defender and get in the lane. He possesses a rock-solid body and gets strong elevation to finish. On the perimeter, his shooting is equally as strong.

SHORTCOMINGS: Although Banks is a good passer, he is a poor decision-maker. He commits turnovers on a regular basis, making wild passes or trying to do too much with his dribble. Can Banks be depended upon to run an offense? The answer will determine whether Banks can succeed in the NBA.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "Nobody gets a guarantee. You always hear of one or two players who say 'I got a guarantee.' But what happens if a better player ends up slipping in the draft? Then you no longer have a guarantee." NBA assistant director of scouting Ryan Blake

2. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

he would be a great back-up PG for the Suns...

i hope the Suns draft him.

3. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

He will start in like 2 years i think, hes a good player.

comparitave downside jay williams!? since when was jay bad...ooooh the injuries make him bad?

More on Marcus Banks from NBA.com:

Marcus Banks Profile

4. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

banks will be a bust i hope the celtics draft him hahahahahah

5. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Jay Williams</div>

Boy, from that, he is can't miss.

And BTW, he doesn't have good jumper, what is that crap. He is really inconsistent on the J.

Him being 6-0, 6-1 really hurts him, not too many AI's around.

No way, Baron Davis or Marbury, please. That is BS. He is more like an Eric Snow. Defensive guy, no jumper, can get to the basket.

6. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I really like Marcus Banks as a prospect. He is going to have one of the bet cominations of speed and strength in the league, a little below Marbury level. That's probably why they list his upside as a Marbury type player because they are both fast and strong. Banks can get to the basketb at will. His point guard skills are fine I think. His jumper still needs some tweaking, but then again, a lot of the players in the draft need help on their jumper.