Draft Capsule: Mickael Pietrus

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

VITALS: 6-6, 200, Pau Orthez (France)

OVERVIEW: Pietrus is considered the best pure shooting guard prospect in the draft and is a product of the Pau Orthez junior system in France. The 21-year-old has seen his scoring average rise each of his last four years with Pau Orthez, which competes in France's top division. Pietrus averaged 12.2 points last season and also performed well in Pau Orthez's Euroleague play, scoring 16 points against German team Alba Berlin. Pietrus played in three French All-Star games and played on France's junior national team that won the gold medal in the 2000 Euroleague Junior championship.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Mid-to-late lottery. Memphis (13) is rumored to be trying to trade up so it can select Pietrus. Chicago (7) also is interested, as is Washington (10).

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Jason Richardson, Michael Finley, Desmond Mason

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Harold Minor, Tariq Abdul-Wahad

ROLE PROJECTION: Future All-Star.

POSITIVES: Pietrus is as good an athlete as you will find in the draft. He has a body similar to Michael Jordan and can sky almost as well. On the perimeter, Pietrus can get hot for stretches. He is still only 21 years old, so his shooting and overall game only figure to improve.

SHORTCOMINGS: Say what you want about his talent, but Pietrus failed to average double figures this year in the Euroleague. A few teams love him, but you have to wonder if he is overhyped. The United States is abundant with athletic 2-guards. What make Pietrus so special? He is a streaky shooter who has not proven he can consistently produce. Whoever selects Pietrus in the draft will be banking on the theory that he can.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "A first-round lock. Very athletic, Michael Jordan-type body. Very defined, energetic and charismatic. He can just flat-out play. One of the better overall players in this draft." Phoenix Suns international scout Tim Shea

2. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I think he will be good. Bulls should pick him up.

3. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

yea, either him or Dwayne Wade. Apparently Pietrus can defend pretty well too

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

that's the bulls descion(it's summer alright, i'm having a brain fart on how to spell) wade or pietrus. i think they should take pietrus.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i saw some highlights and tape on this guy the other night. now i know what all the hype is about. this kid is the real deal and is very athletic and has hops for days.

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

bulls would be dumb to not take this kid.

i'm saying that for his potential and dewayne wade would fall a little bit more. 8)