Draft Capsule: Reece Gaines

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

VITALS: 6-6, 205, senior, Louisville

OVERVIEW: Gaines, who drawn comparisons to Jim Jackson for his multi-dimensional skills, averaged 17.9 points a year ago for Louisville, which is coached by former NBA coach Rick Pitino. Gaines was a third team All-American selection who shot 39 percent from beyond the arc and averaged 5.0 assists per game. The Wisconsin native was a third team All-American selection and finished his career fourth on the Cardinals' all-time scoring list. Gaines' father, Clyde, played basketball at Wisconsin from 1977-80.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Mid-first round. Gaines' draft hopes rest largely on his ability to convince teams that he is a true point guard. There are quite a few teams looking for floor generals where Gaines is anticipated to be drafted, but nobody wants a project. Golden State (11), Seattle (12, 14), Orlando (15) and Boston (16, 20) are the strongest candidates to select Gaines, with the Magic being the favorite.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Derek Anderson, Brent Barry

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Roger Mason Jr.

ROLE PROJECTION: Future starter.

POSITIVES: Gaines is a big point guard who can play the 2, not a 2 who can be a big point guard. The third team All-American is a natural playmaker who ran Louisville's offense all four years, is an underrated shooter and a big-time leaper.

SHORTCOMINGS: He may be able to play the point, but how well? That is the question everybody is asking about Gaines. Teams want a prolific distributor at that position, and that is something Gaines is probably not.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "He's one of the best combo guards in the draft. He can really shoot the ball a lot better than people think he can. He played for an excellent coach, at a great program, and he's going to be a good NBA player." Detroit Pistons director of scouting George David

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i'm scared. i dont' really want him, neither does any of the magic fans at realgm. i think they will draft him though. they say he has almost no upside.

3. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

4. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Gaines has good upside. He's more of a scoring PG than a pure PG, but that's ok as the Magic could really use someone else to relieve Mcgrady of some of the scoring and handling duties. He's big, 6'6 and improved every year in College. His PPG avergae dropped from his junior year to his senior year but his FG% and APG increased notably.

He has improved each of the last 3 seasons and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to do so. The no upside thing is not true.

5. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

hes is a alvin williams clone.

6. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

You don't want him? Why. He is a big PG, or SG. He has tons of upside. He could be a steal.

7. mcgrdmagic

mcgrdmagic JBB JustBBall Member

I hope that Jarvis Hayes is still around for when orlando picks, I feel they want him. I would love to see him come to orlando, but gaines would be my second choice.