Draft Prospects Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

With the NCAA tourney starting and the W's getting active in acquiring picks, I figured I'd start the annual draft prospects thread. I wasn't able to watch a lot of college ball this season so I'm particularly ignorant to who's really legit in this draft class.

I gotta say, this draft class is highly touted but I've been pretty underwhelmed by a lot of the big prospects. Drummond looks absolutely awful, though hes a tremendous physical specimen (if he falls like DeAndre Jordan then why not take a flier?). Perry Jones absolutely could not give less effort on defense and seems to just play for highlights; perfect fit for the Wizards. Harrison Barnes isn't a bad player, he just looks like he's not going to be anything close to a star player in the league. Doesn't create, handles aren't really any good, not that aggressive.

I like Thomas Robinson and Sullinger at the top. In the mid-late first I like Kendall Marshall. Hes not a great athlete but damn hes under control and has fantastic vision, never rushes anything. Not a great scorer but his jumper is improving. He's 6'4 so its possible you could use him with Curry, but he's only got a 6'4 wingspan according to DX and hes not a great athlete nor is he known for his defense.

I would be all for taking a flier on Fab Melo as well. Much has been made of how he anchors that Syracuse defense. He'd be a bit of a project but particularly valuable to us because a) Bogut has a history of missing games b) if we 're going to be a playoff team we could use all the bulk we can get against M. Gasol, Bynum, Perkins, etc. May be more of a Diop than a Bynum, but who can argue against a decent 7'0 260 backup C as a late first/second rounder?

Local product Drew Gordon looks like a good late first/early second prospect. Great rebounder, really athletic. I like James McAdoo as a project around there as well.

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Sullinger lacks athleticism. He's a finished product but he's not that good around the rim, very disappointing jumping if you ask me. I want to love him but fear he's kind of going to be like a Todd Fuller type, nice fundamentals but too short without hops, like Hansborough.

That guy Marshall, the PG for Carolina, is a stud. He's so under control, he's very sweet to watch.

Harrison Barnes could be MJ (a stud who was held back by the system) or he could turn out like Marvin Williams, all hype.

Watched a little of Kansas early and not impressed with Robinson. Faried from last year looked better than Robinson or Sullinger.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I think Sullinger will be alright. His combination of body and skill are similar to Zach Randolph, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love. Love's not great around the rim but the other two finish well.