Draft thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Jun 13, 2019.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Still have to believe Gorton will use guys like Pionk, Namestnikov, Fast, Vesey and perhaps even Skjei to move up from 20th to 4 to 10. Cozens, Dach, Caufield, Turcotte, Newhook and Krebs would all be targets. The reality is that the Rangers can replace Skjei with any number of young defenseman in the system. To me, it's more important to add another big forward prospect. Honestly, the Av's are built to win now and don't need the 4th pick. How many more years can Buffalo, Edmonton and Vancouver suck before their fans go nuts.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

If they could get any of Zegras, Cozens, Dach or Krebs that would be excellent. You'd have to think one of them will be there in the 10-12 range if they can get up there. Even one more Dman like Harley or Broberg would make that prospect group unreal.

3. kreidertime

I have supreme confidence in Gorton. Some morons covering the draft said Kravtsov was a reach. Pierre and McKenzie didn't. He is regarded as one of the top 5 prospects now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

Two rumors just read: 1) Rangers will trade Anderson for Trouba, which I don't like. 2) Rangers will buy out Shattenkirk and Smith. Smith is understandable but why Shattenkirk vs Stall? They make a close salary, the similar cap hit, 2 years left on both contracts. IF you are going to buy out 2 shouldn't it be Staal and Smith. I am not a big fan of Shattenkirk but he is younger coming out of very unlucky season.

5. kreidertime

Because Pionk, Fox and DeAngelo are all young, NHL ready and are righties. So, I guess maybe he wants Staal to partner with Fox to give him a vet presence. Not a fan moving Andersson for Trouba but you also can't argue it. I think Trouba is overrated and greedy but he's not 30. He's 25. Much rather keep Andersson going forward.

6. Ranger71

I think we'll only see one buyout in Smith, with Staal/Shattenkirk playing out the year towards the Feb trading deadline and seeing if the team is making the playoffs or not. Hard to see them doing two buyouts in one shot. I'm kind of curious to see Andersson for another year or two but if he helps them in a trade like that or moving up in the draft you'd have to i guess.

7. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

If it happens Anderson for trouba is a no brainer. Gives us a big RD we’ve needed and we can easily replace what Anderson brings. Agree with dump kravtsov is gonna be good and of course adding the studly KAKKO on Friday night along with another top prospect at number 20 or if they trade up maybe between 5 and 15. Really looking forward to Friday night. Should buyout Smith for sure and if no interest in shattenkirk in a trade he can go too.

8. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Karlsson just signed an 8yr $11M per extension with SJ. Wow. Enjoy that one SJ. Eek.

mrmel29 likes this.
  9. Ranger71

Yike, Doug Wilson panic move. Glad he's out West and not in NY.

10. Ranger71

Maybe now they package the 2nds, perhaps with a roster player and move into the late 1st. SJ and Boston need some cap relief.

11. kreidertime

I still think Gorton is going to try and get another pick in the top 10. Don't know how.

12. Ranger71

You wonder if Dallas will shy away from Zuccarello just so they don't lose their 2020 1st.

13. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure but think teams can only buy out 1 vet contract per year. Thing that sucks with Karlsson's deal is it drives up Trouba's value come contract time.

14. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I think Gorton will sign or at least make an attempt to get trouba done now at as most reasonable contract as he can. Don't think karlssons deal will have a great bearing on this as he is in a different stratosphere than trouba

15. Ranger71

It'll be interesting to see who Chicago takes at 3. Byram seems like the best choice with Keith and Seabrooke getting up there, plus Byram's probably the 3rd best talent in the draft.

16. Ranger71

No QO for Claesson.

17. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

He wasn't terrible last year but there are higher upside players coming up through the system. Draft tonight!

18. Ranger71

Sad to hear what happened with Callahan but he had a pretty solid decade of hockey.

19. kreidertime

Brooks who is never right thinks Kreider will be traded. All I know is if that is the case, I expect nothing less than the 4th to 8th pick in this draft. If you have throw in a Lindgren and either Fast, Namestnikov or Vesey, so be it.

20. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I think we should trade Kreider, but only if the return is strong. If not I let it ride into the season like we did with Hayes. I would not sign Kreider to a 6 or 7 year deal worth 6.5 mill or more per.