Drew Henson is out

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by Cowboy71, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

According to BP's press conference today, Drew Henson will not be on the roster for the Cowboys this regular season. Since he was not cut, I assume that there is a trade in the works.

Henson did OK in NFLE, but he didn't show enough there or in camp to impress the Cowboys into thinking he would be the man of the future. It sounds like they are looking to Romo for the long-term contract, so Henson is gone. Another example of Jerry failing as a player evaluator.

In other news, Dallas supposedly received a 4th? round draft pick from the Saints for linebacker Scott Shanle. This is a good deal because Shanle, who has started quite a bit over the last two seasons, would not get much playing time. Its nice to see that work out since we signed him off of the Rams practice squad, got some time from him, and got a draft pick out of him. I wonder if the draft pick will be packaged with Henson to trade for another good impact player.

There is lots of speculation out of Raider nation, as well as Indy, but who knows?

2. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Henson sounds like a good Mike Holmgren or Jon Gruden project to me.

3. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Curious; Who is the 3rd stringer for the Cowboys?

Romo IMO s/b the man in Big D.

4. Cowher&Frown Co.

Cowher&Frown Co. nfl-*****s member

matt or mike baker or something...some free agent rookie

5. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Curious; Who is the 3rd stringer for the Cowboys?</div>
    They are still bringing people in. Not really set yet.

6. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

what makes the Cowboys better from last year to this year.

Only TO, he isnt doing crap right now.

They are an 8-8 team expected to go 12-4 I can't wait until they fall straight on their faces. No offense to cowboys fans but you still have a weak secondary and offensive line. The cowboys will be as effective as Drew Bledsoe's scrambling.

the worst part about it is everyone is pissing all over themselves to jump onto the cowboys bandwagon. At the end of the day, bad line, RB by commitee, Old QB, bad secondary. what does everyone see in this team.

7. DCFS1989

DCFS1989 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>what makes the Cowboys better from last year to this year.

They are an 8-8 team expected to go 12-4 I can't wait until they fall straight on their faces. No offense to cowboys fans but you still have a weak secondary and offensive line. The cowboys will be as effective as Drew Bledsoe's scrambling.

the worst part about it is everyone is pissing all over themselves to jump onto the cowboys bandwagon. At the end of the day, bad line, RB by commitee, Old QB, bad secondary. what does everyone see in this team.</div>
    O.k... I'll give you that there is a possible argument that the O-Line is questionable, and that the runningback situation isn't ideal...and even that Drew Bledsoe isn't as young as Eli Manning (although I point to last years statistical comparison of the 2 QBs QB rating indicating that the age difference doesn't mean jack!) But how do you justify calling the deffensive secondary "BAD"????? Terence Newman, Anthony Henry, Aaron Glen, Roy Williams, Marcus Coleman, and some young guys like Pat Watkins (6'5") and Keith Davis at FS... look them up...they are going to be one of the best groups in the league this year....your crazy!

8. DCFS1989

DCFS1989 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Curious; Who is the 3rd stringer for the Cowboys?

<span style="color:red">Romo IMO s/b the man in Big D</span>.</div>
    Then I am Afraid that your opinion just lost some credibility...

Bledsoe had one of his best seasons last year and even with the injury bug hitting the recieving corp and two suspect offensive tackles protecting him... yet everybody wants to give the position over to a QB without 1 NFL pass of experience...its just crazy talk... people will say anything to get attention these days.

9. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DCFS1989)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Curious; Who is the 3rd stringer for the Cowboys?

<span style="color:red">Romo IMO s/b the man in Big D</span>.</div>
    Then I am Afraid that your opinion just lost some credibility...

Bledsoe had one of his best seasons last year and even with the injury bug hitting the recieving corp and two suspect offensive tackles protecting him... yet everybody wants to give the position over to a QB without 1 NFL pass of experience...its just crazy talk... people will say anything to get attention these days.</div>
    You just gave the primary reason why and validated my opinion why Romo should be the man. The suspect OL. Bledsoe is almost a statue not as bad as Rob Johnson was, but, still bad. Romo is mobile.

10. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Drew Henson didnt really wow anybody in NFLE. He did alright but not great.

11. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DCFS1989)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>what makes the Cowboys better from last year to this year.

the worst part about it is everyone is pissing all over themselves to jump onto the cowboys bandwagon. At the end of the day, bad line, RB by commitee, Old QB, bad secondary. what does everyone see in this team.</div>
    O.k... I'll give you that there is a possible argument that the O-Line is questionable, and that the runningback situation isn't ideal...and even that Drew Bledsoe isn't as young as Eli Manning (although I point to last years statistical comparison of the 2 QBs QB rating indicating that the age difference doesn't mean jack!) But how do you justify calling the deffensive secondary "BAD"????? Terence Newman, Anthony Henry, Aaron Glen, Roy Williams, Marcus Coleman, and some young guys like Pat Watkins (6'5") and Keith Davis at FS... look them up...they are going to be one of the best groups in the league this year....your crazy!</div>
    Aaron Glenn LOL, the guy is a year away from receiving social security Henry is an overpriced CB that came from an average browns defense. I watched him get burned a nice amount when he was on the field. Newman is a great player but he has never lived up to his potential, he isnt a shitdown corner thats for sure. So whats left a good SS and big question marks at the FS.

Eli was a second year quarterback last year drew was in his what 12th year? In theory that would make bledsoe a better quarterback then eli yet their QB rating was similar. Poepl also seem to forget Eli manning throew the most TD's in the NFC with 24. I think hasselback may have tied towatrds the end of teh season but thats besides the point.

12. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>what makes the Cowboys better from last year to this year.

Just so you don't think I'm arguing just to be a homer, I will start off by agreeing that in no way is Dallas a 12-4 team. Even in a different year, they are not, but especially this year with such a competitive NFL East division. The four teams could finish in any order and it would not surprise me. Dallas has as good of a chance as finishing 3rd as they do 1st. They will probably do better than 8-8 but not much better. Whatever their record, they are a much better team.

That said....what makes them a better team?

1. Better LB & depth
    2. Better DL
    3. Better FS & depth
    4. Potentially better WR core (TO)
    5. Potentially better FG kicker
    6. Double TE set with better options that will also help OL with Bledsoe protection.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Romo IMO s/b the man in Big D.</div>
    Maybe. Yes, I said it. Bledsoe is the better QB right now. However, if the OL just plain tanks, Romo may give the offense a better opportunity to make plays. Right now, you have to bank on Bledsoe. He is still a very good QB. OL is truly the biggest question mark this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Aaron Glenn LOL, the guy is a year away from receiving social security Henry is an overpriced CB that came from an average browns defense. I watched him get burned a nice amount when he was on the field. Newman is a great player but he has never lived up to his potential, he isnt a shitdown corner thats for sure. So whats left a good SS and big question marks at the FS.

Eli was a second year quarterback last year drew was in his what 12th year? In theory that would make bledsoe a better quarterback then eli yet their QB rating was similar. Poepl also seem to forget Eli manning throew the most TD's in the NFC with 24. I think hasselback may have tied towatrds the end of teh season but thats besides the point.</div>
    Although we don't always agree, you are usually fairly knowledgable on stuff, but with the secondary quote being that far off, I'm going to have cry foul. Yes, they screwed up a couple times as a unit, and it cost them a couple games. However, Henry played at a pro-bowl level for the first half of the year before he got hurt. Newman had a bad sophmore season, but last year he was a shut down corner, almost by definition. He did not allow a touchdown pass all season, in fact. Unfortunately, our safeties did not do well covering and were to blame. Glenn isn't ideal, but he performed pretty well last year for a backup #3 CB.

As for the Manning/Bledsoe comparison, its not worth an argument. Both have strengths and weaknesses that are night and day. I will say that people do forget that Eli tied for the lead in the NFC with 24. Evidently people forget, though, that Bledsoe was second with 23. I'm sure if Bledsoe threw another 58 times like Eli, they would have been even. I wouldn't call their passer ratings even either, as there was a considerable 8 point difference. Completion percentages were very different as well. Bledsoe clearly had the stat advantage, but stats are overrated. If you want a stat, look at Hasselbeck. He has basically the same numbers as these two except for one...interceptions (7 to the 17 that Bledsoe and Manning had). That will win a couple games.

13. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

[quote name='Cowboy71'][quote name='Giantsfan1']what makes the Cowboys better from last year to this year.

the worst part about it is everyone is pissing all over themselves to jump onto the cowboys bandwagon. At the end of the day, bad line, RB by commitee, Old QB, bad secondary. what does everyone see in this team.[/quote]
    Just so you don't think I'm arguing just to be a homer, I will start off by agreeing that in no way is Dallas a 12-4 team. Even in a different year, they are not, but especially this year with such a competitive NFL East division. The four teams could finish in any order and it would not surprise me. Dallas has as good of a chance as finishing 3rd as they do 1st. They will probably do better than 8-8 but not much better. Whatever their record, they are a much better team.

That said....what makes them a better team?

1. Better LB & depth
    2. Better DL
    3. Better FS & depth
    4. Potentially better WR core (TO)
    5. Potentially better FG kicker
    6. Double TE set with better options that will also help OL with Bledsoe protection.

[quote name='blackadder']Romo IMO s/b the man in Big D.[/quote]
    Maybe. Yes, I said it. Bledsoe is the better QB right now. However, if the OL just plain tanks, Romo may give the offense a better opportunity to make plays. Right now, you have to bank on Bledsoe. He is still a very good QB. OL is truly the biggest question mark this year.

[quote name='Giantsfan1']Aaron Glenn LOL, the guy is a year away from receiving social security Henry is an overpriced CB that came from an average browns defense. I watched him get burned a nice amount when he was on the field. Newman is a great player but he has never lived up to his potential, he isnt a shitdown corner thats for sure. So whats left a good SS and big question marks at the FS.

Eli was a second year quarterback last year drew was in his what 12th year? In theory that would make bledsoe a better quarterback then eli yet their QB rating was similar. Poepl also seem to forget Eli manning throew the most TD's in the NFC with 24. I think hasselback may have tied towatrds the end of teh season but thats besides the point.[/quote]
    Although we don't always agree, you are usually fairly knowledgable on stuff, but with the secondary quote being that far off, I'm going to have cry foul. Yes, they screwed up a couple times as a unit, and it cost them a couple games. However, Henry played at a pro-bowl level for the first half of the year before he got hurt. Newman had a bad sophmore season, but last year he was a shut down corner, almost by definition. He did not allow a touchdown pass all season, in fact. Unfortunately, our safeties did not do well covering and were to blame. Glenn isn't ideal, but he performed pretty well last year for a backup #3 CB.

As for the Manning/Bledsoe comparison, its not worth an argument. Both have strengths and weaknesses that are night and day. I will say that people do forget that Eli tied for the lead in the NFC with 24. Evidently people forget, though, that Bledsoe was second with 23. I'm sure if Bledsoe threw another 58 times like Eli, they would have been even. I wouldn't call their passer ratings even either, as there was a considerable 8 point difference. Completion percentages were very different as well. Bledsoe clearly had the stat advantage, but stats are overrated. If you want a stat, look at Hasselbeck. He has basically the same numbers as these two except for one...interceptions (7 to the 17 that Bledsoe and Manning had). That will win a couple games.[/quote]
    Point taken with the secondary comment. I was just observing what I saw when they played the Giants is all. Newmna doenst make plays so I guess I just played him off. I still do not think Henry is worth the money you are paying him.

I think I am just fed up with the media coverage of a team that is in the same position as the other 31 teams.

Lets also not forget Hasselback has a beastly line or did last year with Jones, Hutch, and crew. The Giants are mediocre and Dallas is in the early 20's which is basically sub par in my mind.

I would defientely agree that Glenn isnt a bad choice for a #3 CB but you he is far from a justification to an argument is all. Quite honestly I would take Glenn on my team, but honestly he's at his last leg of his career. Bledsoe's numbers are impressive but he has been in the league for so long by now those numbers should be expected with less interceptions. His mobility is probably 3rd worst to the league behind my boy Kerry Collins lol aka the robot and Kurt Warner. Both concidently Ex-Giants players LOL. Cowboy71 youve always been very intelligent so I am going to ask you a question is this HONESTLY a team that will win teh SB like all the experts are saying. People seem to forget their limbo at RB. The LB depth is something I would a gree with you, actually the "boys" probably have the best LB crew in the league but is it enough. Can a front 7 win a superbowl?

14. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Can a front 7 win a superbowl?</div>
    Ask the Baltimore Ravens. I watched them do it...

15. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Point taken with the secondary comment. I was just observing what I saw when they played the Giants is all. Newmna doenst make plays so I guess I just played him off. I still do not think Henry is worth the money you are paying him.

I think I am just fed up with the media coverage of a team that is in the same position as the other 31 teams.

Lets also not forget Hasselback has a beastly line or did last year with Jones, Hutch, and crew. The Giants are mediocre and Dallas is in the early 20's which is basically sub par in my mind.

I would defientely agree that Glenn isnt a bad choice for a #3 CB but you he is far from a justification to an argument is all. Quite honestly I would take Glenn on my team, but honestly he's at his last leg of his career. Bledsoe's numbers are impressive but he has been in the league for so long by now those numbers should be expected with less interceptions. His mobility is probably 3rd worst to the league behind my boy Kerry Collins lol aka the robot and Kurt Warner. Both concidently Ex-Giants players LOL. Cowboy71 youve always been very intelligent so I am going to ask you a question is this HONESTLY a team that will win teh SB like all the experts are saying. People seem to forget their limbo at RB. The LB depth is something I would a gree with you, actually the "boys" probably have the best LB crew in the league but is it enough. Can a front 7 win a superbowl?</div>
    Much better. You have a small point with the secondary, but just because a talented Giants offense can take advantage of a secondary for awhile, doesn't mean the secondary is bad either [​IMG] especially when Tiki is running well.

I don't blame you with the media coverage. I am sick of it myself because I think they are overhyped too. I wonder if they would be as hyped, though, if they hadn't picked up Owens....and I'm not referring to his talent. The story is better for the media all around.

Agreed on Glenn....and agree on Bledsoe's mobility or lack thereof. He throws too many picks and holds on to the ball too long looking for a play. Odd that he has both of those characteristics because they usually conflict.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cowboy71 youve always been very intelligent so I am going to ask you a question is this HONESTLY a team that will win teh SB like all the experts are saying. People seem to forget their limbo at RB. The LB depth is something I would a gree with you, actually the "boys" probably have the best LB crew in the league but is it enough. Can a front 7 win a superbowl?</div>
    I always leave the Cowboys-colored glasses at home in front of the TV, so I have no problem giving my straight opinion. This is not a team that I consider the Superbowl favorite, or even the NFC favorite. There are too many holes and/or question marks. However, I do feel that this is a team that can compete with anyone and sure... they "could" make the SB or win it. That's not where my money would be though. I guess if you could take one NFC team to make it to the Superbowl, or take the field, which would you choose. I think most people would take the field. I think Dallas is in that field. They will need Owens and Vanderjact on the field though. The LB crew is young but decent. They are a great unit, although short of the best. Yes, the defense can lead them. I'm more worried about the front 5 on the other side of the ball. If you can get those 5 to play average, you are going to see a healthy Jones and Barber make a lot of nice plays.

16. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>People seem to forget their limbo at RB.</div>
    Here is what you are looking at with their RB. Jones is questionable whether he can stay healthy or not. Aside from the injury issue, think back a few years with the Eagles. Remember how hard it was for us NFC-East'ers to contain the three-headed monster they had back around 2003 or so? Westbrook, Buckhalter, and Staley each had a different style and impact. They were each rotating in every few plays, each had around 500 yards, and each had over 4 and a couple had over 4.5 YPC. Jones, Barber, and Thompson may be slightly different, but that is the general potential here. None will be the 1,500 yard type of back, but I don't think that matters to Parcells.