Notice Drexler on Lillard-Led Blazers: ‘They’re a Dangerous Team’

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Aug 16, 2020.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

2. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

It really is weird how disconnected Clyde is from this team and city. Don’t really ever think about it but just having him say something about the team is so unusual, it’s kind of crazy.

3. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    He’s Houston through and through. Nothing wrong with that.

STOMP likes this.
  4. BigGameDamian

I agree. I really wish he could be more apart of this organization some how.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

when the NBA put together the '50 greatest players of all time', Drexler wore a Rockets jersey instead of a Blazer jersey. Charles Barkley gave him a bunch of shit about it

6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

That’s fine yes but it’s one thing to move away and be home- Houston- and work for another team etc. totally fine. But it’s like he’s avoiding the town he played in for so long. Doesn't even show his face here It’s weird to me.

7. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Fuck Clyde, he doesn’t give 2 shits about Portland. You think if he was in Dames position in today’s NBA he’d still be loyal to this organization? Doubtful. I see him forcing his way out.

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Many fans would list the Blazers' Mt Rushmore as Walton, Clyde, Roy, and Dame. The first 3 have completely turned their backs on the Portland fans.

And people wonder why I am so cynical about NBA players.

Natebishop3, Darkwebs and calvin natt like this.
  9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say fuck Clyde, he was my childhood hero but he definitely would have tried to force his way to Houston and Hakeem way earlier in his career in today's NBA. Probably when negotiating his first extension off of his rookie contract. It just would have made too much sense to him being with Hakeem and being in Houston.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  10. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Yeah Roy is in the same boat. Dude lives 180 miles away and can’t manage to attend a game or give an interview? What’s wrong with this guys?

11. blazerkor

"Totally turned their backs" is a mischaracterization both Clyde and Walton (being in the media) talk more often about Portland than they do about any other team besides the team they are covering (in Clyde's case the team he's with) and Walton does talk about wherever his son is coaching more than he does Portland but they both talk about the Blazers more than they do just any random team in the league and they also both acknowledge their time here and that they loved their time here. Roy isn't in the media and I don't have any clue if he's turned his back on the franchise or if the franchise even values any of these guys... I know the fans (for sure me) would like all three to have more to do with the team in their retirement but Walton is more about the college game and is a total nut, Clyde is a Houston guy through and through and I think Roy is probably still really bitter, remember he should still be playing in the league... give him time and still maybe that won't be enough to heal what might have been.

SlyPokerDog and STOMP like this.
  12. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

You know who is really disconnected from this team and city..... Brandon Roy

13. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Wow what was his excuse about that one? “Well I won a title with them”??

14. AldoTrapani

How was it back then? Was it more harder for guys to leave? I wonder why he didn’t leave sooner. I mean he did leave way later when his skills deteriorated

15. AldoTrapani

Naw with Roy I can’t fault him. I think it’s just more depression from his career being cut short. So I think mentally he’s just checked out and feels he had way more to give

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd say off hand that they didn't end their careers here....Walton has been back many, many times and attended games...Roy attended one game that I remember...Drexler didn't let the door hit him in the butt when he left...he's really the cold shoulder ex Blazer to me...even Sheed came back and attended at least one game after he retired

17. blazerkor

Guys just stayed with their teams longer, less guys forced trades, super teams were unheard of, it was viewed as weak for a superstar to leave their team for a better situations, etc.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

He was in the virtual crowd during one of our games during the bubble. I love Sheed!

tiredhunter likes this.
  19. BigGameDamian

When Clyde retired didn't he want in the organization and Paul said no?

20. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I wish I could answer this, because it does seem familiar. I think he wanted to be GM of the Blazers or at least take a real short path there, so I can understand Allen being "real" with him.

It does seem a little strange the former stars aren't paraded around more often. That seems seems like something McGowan would do to sell tickets. Maybe that's true of all NBA teams, they let the past rest for the most part, I don't pay attention. I do think Walton is on good terms with the organization based on more recent Portland referenced sound clips from him. If Portland makes a run, I'm confident we'll get a Walton quote and it will be warm and fantastic. With Drexler, I think he did eventually sell his house in Portland quite awhile ago. So much for Portland always being his 2nd home. Isn't his wife a native of Oregon? Some of his sound bytes in more recent years don't sound very complimentary. Seems like something went icy.