Drouin (TB) requests trade

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by NYR31, Jan 3, 2016.

1. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Probably a tough match-up because we can't give up multiple young players to get him but he's a top talent and could be an interesting option worth exploring. TB-NYR have already had a significant trade between them so the working relationship is already there.

2. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

I do not expect Gorton to give up the farm for this kid.

Rangers cannot continually give up # 1 picks for
    a prospective "can't miss" player.............

Ranger record sucks when they gave up #1 picks........
    team still has no SC with what they obtained!
    and that's the bottom line.

3. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

One team salivating for his services? One guess,

Yep.

The Montreal Canadiens.

I would go after him so that team doesn't get him.

4. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

That is a player I would go after big time. Kreider for Drouin. Straight up. I think Tampa does this. Then you can move Stepan.

5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

If we ever acquire Drouin, I'll set the over/under of how soon we see "TRADE DROUIN" or "DROUIN IS LAZY" threads at 3 weeks (I'd hammer the under).

He's exactly what we're dealing with now with Kreider and Hayes: a young player with all the talent and upside in the world who just can't put it together and has his effort questioned. I also don't really think he's the type of forward we need to be adding. He's a much better playmaker than scorer. I want to see somebody added who shoots and can actually score.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    SaveLundy likes this.
  6. theProdigy223

Here's another guy who's asked for a trade and might be more along the lines of what we're looking for: Kerby Rychel. And reports are we've at least inquired.

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: Reports are that forward Kerby Rychel asked for trade before the season started, but the Blue Jackets have shown no interest in trading him. The New York Rangers, Calgary Flames, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Anaheim Ducks, Boston Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings have all shown interest.

Former first rounder (19th overall in 2013), plays a power forward game with 50 points in 70 AHL games. Definitely wouldnt cost as much as Drouin either.

Scouting report from Hockey Forecaster: A big power forward with both scoring ability and toughness, he is a factor in front of the opposing goal and in the corners. Is also a willing pugilist, which adds value to his overall package.

7. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Gorton has contacted Yzerman and shown heavy interest. Maybe they can do 1st/Miller/prospect. I wouldn't give up on Kreider nor would i trade Yandle.

8. kreidertime

Got disagree with you Prod. Kreider is an unbelievable lazy tool. His hockey IQ is equivalent to a grapefruit. Brassard was considered lazy at one time. However, his hockey IQ is high. Drouin to me isn't lazy. A lot of players in Tampa aren't happy with their coaches style. So to me, it's the time to trade for him. I would give up Kreider. You might even be able to get more in return. Who knows. Getting Drouin does so many things. It gives you the option of dealing Stepan. It gives you the option of moving Stepan to wing who sucks at center. It gives you the option of moving Lindberg to the the 4th line center spot. Trading Moore and Yandle and getting a wing and some picks back.

To me this is a move they have to make. Drouin has franchise talent. Kreider will never be anything more than a 30-30 guy on his best year. The way I see it is this team doesn't have a franchise, offensive talent. They need to roll the dice here.

9. kreidertime

There was another player who was once considered lazy. His name was Tyler Seguin. How did that work out for the Bruins. This deal has to be made. Whether it's Kreider for Drouin. Yandle and Hayes for Drouin. Get it done.

10. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

Larry Brooks says that one source told him that the Rangers "are in big-time" on Drouin and that Jeff Gorton spoke with Steve Yzerman last week while the Rangers were in Tampa Bay.

It is not yet known if names have been exchanged between the Rangers and Lightning but Brooks suggests that the Rangers could look to deal Keith Yandle for Drouin.

I would drive Yandle to the airport if I had to. We'd have to give more than just Yandle of course, but if he can be the foundation I am all for it. Personally I would rather not deal Kreider or Miller for him. I would deal Hayes if it was a must. But Yandle is a guy I would deal in the package for sure if TB values him.

I know it is difficult for the Yandle fans in here to accept this, but the reality is he's our 3rd pair LD. The reality is he is 100% gone after this season. The reality is as long as we have Staal, and I have seen nothing that makes me think they would even want to move Staal even if he would waive his NTC, we cannot keep Yandle. That's the reality. I rather have Yandle than Staal, but as of today it doesn't seem as if that's an option...so Yandle is very expendable in that case. Just the way it is whether we like it or not.

11. theProdigy223

I see your point, but when Seguin was traded he was already a proven point producer. His point totals the two years before the trade were 67 in 81 games, 32 in 48 games, and a cup as a top line player. Drouin has 40 points in 89 career games, and just 6 goals. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but this price is going to be astronomical and I don't know if he's the kind of player we want to be spending that on. I want a scorer here, not another guy who is allergic to shooting. But it seems like we're in on him, so let the chips fall where they may.

12. theProdigy223

Chuck, while he may be our 3rd pair D, he also leads us in assists and is third in shots (1 behind Brassard for second). Doing that while, as you said, playing on the third pair and 2nd PP unit is very impressive. Not sure why you'd want to drive a guy like that to the airport, especially for a high talent underachiever like Drouin who this board will murder in a month.

13. chuckd3534

Prod, I hear you but he is what he is on this team...a 3rd pair LD. We have ZERO shot at resigning him...ZERO if Staal is here. So in 3 or 4 or 5 months he is gone.

And our 2nd PP unit has been horrible Prod. They have done nothing.

The Blueshirts’ second unit has not been on for power-play goal since Lindberg scored against Carolina on Nov. 30, a drought of 14 games through which the team has gone 8-for-46 with the man advantage.

I have said it 1000 times...I much rather have Yandle than Staal. If neither was signed long term and I had a choice I take Yandle every time, but that is not the case and Yandle will be gone after the season.

That's the reality of it Prod. I don't like it, I want Yandle here long term, but that is simply not an option, and if you can get a talent like Drouin here for him...you have to do it...have to.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. chuckd3534

The defending conference champion Lightning, currently out of a playoff spot while walking a cap tightrope as perilous as the one on which the Rangers are tip-toeing, could use help both on their second and third pair and on their power-play point, where former Blueshirt Anton Stralman leads Tampa Bay in ice time (3:02 per game) and production (one goal, seven assists, eight points).

A return of Drouin — selected behind Nathan MacKinnon and Aleksander Barkov at the ’13 draft off an explosive stay at QMJHL Halifax, where he rang up 105 and 108 points, respectively, in his final two seasons of junior hockey — in exchange for Yandle would seem equitable within the context of previous rental deals across the league.

The Rangers have already dealt their 2016 first-round draft pick to the Coyotes in last year’s deadline-proximate trade that brought Yandle to New York. But, because the Blueshirts retain the option of deferring that selection exchange until 2017, Gorton can still trade this year’s first-rounder, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Post in an email exchange.

“It is not self-effectuating,” Daly wrote. “The Rangers can decide to transfer their [first] in 2016 or their [first] in 2017, and must notify Arizona prior to the 2016 NHL Draft Lottery which it will be.

“Once they notify, the pick becomes Arizona’s,” the deputy commissioner continued. “Prior to then, [the Rangers] would be able to transfer either of the two picks [2016 or 2017] but not both.”

15. chuckd3534

And BTW Prod...I do agree with your one comment.

but this price is going to be astronomical and I don't know if he's the kind of player we want to be spending that on.

I agree 100%. If the price is astronomical I pass also. If it is Yandle and a prospect or pick I do it. If the price is through the roof I pass also. We agree 100% Prod.

16. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

TB taking Yandle as the main piece in a deal makes no sense. Drouin has a ton potential, is only 20 and costs less than $1M in cap hit through end of next season, so it's hard to see them trading that for a veteran who's about to hit UFA and at best will have to pay $5M+/yr, and at worst he goes somewhere else and got little left to show for the trade.

Kreider for Drouin makes sense and is a trade i make every day. The potential to hit a homerun with a franchise player is worth the risk.

17. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

If they deal Yandle who runs the pp and is our puck mover..McDope?:)

18. chuckd3534

I think we'd have to give up more than just Yandle as well, but the truth is who really knows what TB would want, and how they would value Drouin, and what his value is around the league. None of us know those answers.

Maybe his value isn't that high around the league. Maybe it is good, but it is not wow this is a stud young kid so the value is crazy high. Who knows really.

I also don't think I would deal Kreider for him. Just not sure I see the huge upgrade there. I am not saying I wouldn't do it period, but I also can't say it would be my first offer or first thought. I would really have to think long and hard about it if that was the final take it or leave it offer.

Drouin has skills, but he also has some of what Prod called out, and he isn't a big guy either. Under 6' and less than 200 lbs. I believe. I would really have to think about that if it was the offer on the table.

19. chuckd3534

I guess I'd say the guys who play on the 1st unit and run it now 71...Boyle and McD. Not the guy who runs the 2nd unit which hasn't scored in over a month.

20. kreidertime

Agree. Kreider for Drouin is worth the risk. Tampa is right up against the cap. How about this.

Drouin and Cally(Half his salary retained) for Kreider and Yandle

Money is almost identical. Plus, Ohlund and Coburn are UFA next year. 5 million free. They might want to have Yandle leave. Save the money for Stamkos.

Cally should be getting paid about 2.9 million a year. He's a freakin role player who gets hurt a lot. At that price I'd take him back. Skjei can then play. They you move Boyle and maybe D. Moore so McIlrath and Buchnevich have spots.