Ducks/Beavers

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Ed O, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Fair enough. #1, in particular, is true. I like the Beavers (not as much as the Ducks, but I have no ties to either school other than that I grew up in the state) and they are a pretty good team... there will be lots of time for Ducks fans to gloat if/when Oregon wins the Civil War.

Regarding #2... I dunno. James is a sophomore in his third year and very good, but... he's small. He's not Jonathan Stewart as far as physical attributes go, and I would be surprised if he's not back for his junior year, at least.

Ed O.

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm so confused lol.

3. Wheels

OH! Now I see haha!

4. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Glad you are now along for the ride :)

Ed O.

5. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    I'm a beaver fan but the beavers are just not in depth this year having losing WR Wheaton and WR James Rodgers for the season. The ducks will beat the beavs in corvallis just like in 2008 when #23 Ducks spanked them 65-38.

6. Wheels

wtf? Wheaton is out for the year?

7. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

No he's just nursing a knee sprain. MRI negative, should be back for Cal

8. espn_hall_of_famer

espn_hall_of_famer Active Member

Good point. He might be a little small and under-developed to go pro after just two years. But to get to a #1 ranking, to get into the national spotlight, and then to end up likely being in the top 3 in Heisman voting, I'm just not sure you can pass up that guaranteed first day draft that anyone in that position will command.

Will be end up no more than a Darren Sproles in the NFL and likely not be a high first rounder? Could be, but either way he's got the guaranteed media attention to get up high in the first few rounds of the draft and if he sticks around for another year anything could happen (injury, bad year, etc.). So usually those guys take the money and fly the coop.

9. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Ducks also have a couple redshirt Freshmen that were very highly regarded coming out of HS

10. Wheels

yes its kinda hard to remember Williams and Seastrunk. And Huff and and Hawkins can play Tazr as well.. This backfield truly is loaded with playmakers.

11. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    James will NOT enter the draft. Not after this season. While he's frequently called the leader in the weight room at Oregon, he's currently more like a Ken Simonton, then a Sproles. Sproles played four years at K-State. Currently, James is having the time of his life in Oregon with his two best friends - Barner and Thomas, who are also just SO. I wouldn't expect James to go any higher than 3rd or 4th round anyway. He needs to develop.

Any fan who has followed Oregon/OSU for more than a few years knows the Civil War is not something to overlook. It's normally played very competitively with the home team having an advantage. Oregon has won the last two. This year, I don't see Oregon State matching Oregon's speed or depth. James Rogers is out for the season. This is also a Beaver team that is allowing 460 yards a game - and nearly 300 of those in passing yards (did you see what Thomas just did in the air to UCLA?). Also, Oregon State has allowed more TD's than they have scored. That doesn't bode well when you play one of the top offenses in the country.
    Keep in mind, Oregon State gave up nearly 500 total yards to the lowly Huskies - the Huskies lost pretty handily to ASU, while Oregon handled ASU rather well.

I'm a fan of nearly 30 years and I never overlook the Civil War. I'm currently more focused on USC next week and enjoying the development of Thomas - an extremely gifted and young QB. But, as it stands today (injuries, etc.) I don't see this years CW being anything but a blowout. Ducks by 30+.

Also, keep in mind that Lache Seastrunck signed with Oregon last year. He was the 4th rated RB in the nation and as a high school senior, is about 5'11, 190 and runs a 4.40 (Oregon recruits speed). He received offers from LSU, Florida, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas, etc - and he's dynamic. James WILL be around, but Oregon has depth like you wouldn't believe - including Barner and Alston at RB who have been burning good defenses all season and a 5th year SR QB, Nate Costa who would be a starter on any other Pac10 team.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  12. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    For perspective, while Oregon State has allowed more TD's than they have scored, Oregon has scored 44 while only allowing 13! Several of those 13 have been with the third string D who often see playing time in the second half.

Oregon is averaging nearly 600 yards of total offense a game - and incredible stat, while allowing just over 330.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Great post, but Costa wouldn't be a starter on any othe team in the Pac-10.

Thomas, Luck, Foles, Riley and Katz would all most likely be starting if Costa was trying to nip at their heels.