Tech E-Books; Kindle; etc

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by wizenheimer, Jan 16, 2020.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how many people, if any besides me, spend much time reading e-books...?

I didn't think much about that type of media till about 3 years ago. A baby boomer who always read books. I would read an occasional non-fiction book, sometimes science, sometimes history...I liked histories of the American West....

but mostly, I like(d) to read science fiction and westerns. That's right...I like sports, science fiction, and westerns; talk about a frivolous life...but fuck off for judging me....:)

anyway, about 3-4 years ago I bought a kindle paperwhite from Amazon...as if they don't already have enough of my money. And considering what I like to read, a kindle unlimited account was the nest logical step. I've loved it...for the most part....but the thing I didn't love was how much Amazon controlled the format of the kindle "experience". My kindle device was always cluttered up with adds and with shit from the cloud that required a lot of effort to delete, and in many cases, couldn't be deleted.

the solution was to get a small 8" tablet. I bought a Samsung that could add a micro-sd card. Using Kindle for PC and Caliber, it was just a matter of 3 steps to be able to transfer my entire ebook collection, including hundreds of books I haven't read yet. And now I can control the file system and prevent garbage from cluttering it up. I can also surf the web and do other things on the device I couldn't do with the Kindle. And there are many many websites where you can download free ebooks, including just about all the classics

I hope this doesn't sound like an add for ebooks of some sort of advocacy. Just wondering if others use this digital media?

2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I use both. The great thing about the Kindles is that it is easy to read outside on the deck and the battery lasts a long time. Can't really read outside with regular tablets - too much reflection - no matter how much they try to work on this issue with non-reflecting screens, and as someone that flies long distance quite a lot - reading on the kindle and knowing you have battery for the tablet when you need it for something else is very convenient.

I believe the latest Kindle that I have is also water proof - not that this is a feature that is really important to me, but I guess it can be useful if you want to read by the pool (or live in Portland and read outside...)

3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I use the kindle app on my phone works fine for me.

4. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I had a Sony E Reader for years. I prefer having control with my ePub content.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  5. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I still like books made from paper.

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Wow, I was thinking about getting a Kindle because of my eye problems.

By the way, are you telepathic? I was wondering how you knew I was judging you.

7. Lanny

Yep, if there's anything I find relaxing it's sitting outside and reading in the rain.

8. wizenheimer

a kindle paperwhite is really easy on the eyes. But there are apps for android or IOS that accomplish about the same thing in creating a screen that doesn't strain the eyes

I can give you some advice if you're interested. Of course, there's that old saying: "pass on good advice; that's all it's good for"

I just assume everybody is judging me harshly because I have 2 ex-wives and a current one, along with in-laws

[​IMG]

Lanny and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. Lanny

My eyes are really bad, so bad that if it weren't for spell check I'd be in terrific trouble in here. I need something that reads the text out loud for me.

10. wizenheimer

Jessica Alba can read while nude....would that work?

11. Lanny

I think that might just pop my eyes wide open.

You know how I got my bad eyesight in the first place don't you? Mother warned that it would make me go blind.

wizenheimer likes this.