Ed Davis (The fifth annual Luke Walton All-Stars)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Feb 9, 2016.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Maybe someone posted something on this in another thread and I missed it, but Zach Lowe has kind of an interesting column on ESPN talking about journeymen players who are having success in new situations. He identifies Ed Davis as one of his "Luke Walton All-Stars" and has some pretty interesting comments on Ed and the Blazers in general:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14743788/who-nba-players-found-suddenly-relevant

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He was a very nice signing. This is the kind of move that makes Neil awesome.

Darkwebs, Red Rooster, Draco and 5 others like this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Goes a long way in highlighting the fact that Portland is a desirable destination for emerging players looking to fit in with a style of play that puts them in position to succeed. I love having Ed Davis on the roster

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Sums up big Ed in a nutshell. Very glad to have him on the team.

5. Natebishop3

That's a pretty big assumption. Maybe we offered the most money? Maybe Neil was his first call? There wasn't any indication that:

A) He approached us.

Or

B) We beat out another team for his services.

Strenuus likes this.
  6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    BlazerCaravan likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I guess you missed all the Ed Davis interviews about his signing here....I took that right from his own words..of course. I think Davis, Plumlee, Harkless, Vonleh and Henderson actually like the fact that they have opportunities here. If it was money, seems strange they'd go on that San Diego trip to get a jump on training camp....I doubt Ed was doing that with the Lakers...so...where's the assumption?

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

But not the big-time stars. ;)

10. Natebishop3

Harkless, Vonleh, Plumlee, and Henderson were traded here. They had no choice in the matter.

My point is, you're framing it as Portland becoming a desirable destination, and I'm saying that's a big assumption. I remember Andre Miller also saying that he thought Portland was a great fit when he signed here, but we also happened to be the team that could offer him the most money at the time. These guys aren't stupid. They have been coached to say the right things. You can't always take them at face value. Maybe you're right and Davis wanted to sign here from the beginning, but it's still an assumption that our team is becoming desirable.

TBpup likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Draco had a great post about how teams that acquired big time centers are losing all over the league...times are changing.
    Wolves, Suns, Pelicans, Lakers...all have centers that have been targeted as difference makers and they aren't really making a difference

Draco likes this.
  12. Strenuus

Who said anything about Centers?

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    A franchise is a desirable place to come to when:

• A: They have the most money to offer
    • B: They can offer similar money but are in a state with no State Income Tax
    • C: They are on the verge of a Championship and a vet will sign there to win a ring after making a lot of money elsewhere.

Portland fits one of those criteria. However, lots of teams have "the most" money to offer this off-season due to the hike in the cap so suddenly that isn't as big of an advantage. If Neal can continue to sign solid role players, that's great but I don't expect a 'Star' player to just want to come to Portland because we have good food, beer, Pinot Noir and nice summers.

Strenuus likes this.
  14. Natebishop3

We haven't been winning head to heads.

LAC beat us out for Hawes.

Milwaukee beat us out for Monroe.

BBert and Strenuus like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

You're absolutely right....when Ed Davis says he want to be a Blazer for life, I take him as a man of his word, not a man coached to say the right thing. I also have a lot of faith in the culture and system. Davis and Aminu signed here....as for the trades, I also believe once they got here the landscape for Henderson, Harkless and Vonleh looked bright. All guys who needed a change of scenery or opportunity. But don't let that get in the way of believing we're the bus station of the NBA if that's more logical in your way of thinking. I just think it's kind of beating a dead horse to say guys have never or never will want to be Blazers because of the glory of Madison Square Garden or the Staples Center.....I think we're defining the way teams build a future. There's a big difference between assumption and belief....I'm a believer in the new look Blazers

16. Natebishop3

Hmmm..... who else said they wanted to be a Blazer for life....... who was it.....

"I want to be the best Blazer — ever," Aldridge said. "If I stay the rest of my career, I should be able to catch Clyde by then. I should be able to leave a mark on a big-time franchise that is going to be seen forever. And I will be able to say I played here my whole career. This city has embraced me and grown with me. I have so much history, it just makes sense to stay."

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...ers_lamarcus_aldridge_pledges_to_sign_co.html

17. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Goo!! I haven't heard that name in years. He was actually a 9th round Portland draft pick way back in 1971 but chose to sign with the Dallas Chapparals of the old American Basketball Association. He wasn't a star but had an okay career, mainly with the pre merger Spurs for a few years. I don't remember him playing in the NBA, but apparently he land with Houston in 76/77. I used to follow his career and often wished he had signed with us.....thanks for the flashback, Nate!

riverman, TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.
  18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I specifically said NEW LOOK Blazers but if you think Ed Davis is Lamarcus Aldridge.....a guy courted by every team in the offseason....go ahead..I'd rather look ahead, not back at what was and didn't work out.

19. Strenuus

I hear what you're saying, but you're talking about role players or fringe starters or people on their first contracts (Vonleh for example)

But, the marquee guys ARE going to want things tailored to them... how MSG and that place in Southern california can offer. The marquee guys are looking for money over system until they realize they need to chase the rings if they haven't yet. Unless they have already been with the franchise for years (think the Spurs), They (the marquee players) are either going to go and recruit people to come to a city with them (Ala Miami) or go to the highest bidder that matches their lifestyle (or is close to family), like LMA... even though we did OFFER more (A year and millions), he wanted to be in Texas... his lifestyle and family.

Unless Dame starts recruiting, which I think he can, for that marquee player to come here, I do not know if it's possible. It sucks, but it may be a reality we have to come to grips with, if we haven't already.

20. Natebishop3

Just pointing out that you can't always believe what these guys say to the media. It's a business.

Strenuus likes this.