Email Commissioner Stern...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.nba.com/webAction?actionId=surv...p&surveyId=1152

To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to voice my displeasure about the way the Dallas Golden State game was officiated last night, especially the way the Baron Davis/Jackson/Diop/Terry situation was handled. First of all I don't think Jackson should have received a technical foul for his involvement in the situation because he was holding his teammates back in an attempt to save them from getting ejected from the game in a brawl. Second of all I would like to know what caused Jackson to get his second technical foul? From what I saw on TV and what the announcers said, they could not see what Jackson did to warrant a technical. Secondarily I would like to know what the difference is between what Baron Davis did to get ejected from the game and what Tim Duncan did just a few days earlier to get himself ejected from the game. Tim Duncan was laughing on the bench at a call he believed to be not fair. Baron Davis was doing the same thing by clapping with a goofy grin on his face. What is the difference? Should this referee be suspended indefinately like Joey Crawford? I think so for consistency sake (even though I personally disagree with the suspension). There is no difference between what happened with Tim Duncan and Baron Davis. Baron Davis and Coach Nelson were in the process of being warned which I appreciate, but almost immediately after he was done warning them, Baron was ejected. I think this is an example of a referee's personal feeling clouding his professional judgement. I would like action to be taken against this referee in the same manner Joey Crawford was or have Joey Crawford reinstated after a short suspension. Thanks.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

You have every right to complain, and this particular official is another ego driven maniac who should not be officiating any professional sport. This guy's nickname Bennett "the Rat" Salvatore.

The first technical foul on Stephen Jackson was absolutely uncalled for. He came over to play peacemaker and was actually holding players back. His reputation preceded him in the situation, and the Warriors should definitely lobby a complaint.

The second technical foul on Baron Davis was a joke aswell. This is not the regular season, this is the emotionally charged NBA playoffs, and stakes are high. The hand clapping Baron was doing wasn't even directed at Salvatore, yet he felt compelled to wind up his fist, strut across the court and eject Baron Davis from the game.

Salvatore needs to be the next official exited out of the league.

3. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree but that's not why they lost the game. The warriors didn't adjust AT ALL.

They kept pounding the ball inside and Howard and Harris had a field day getting steals. They really didn't stop that strategy until Baron got thrown out of the game.

I put this one on Baron more than the officials. The officials didn't make him chuck, look for his own shot and turn the ball over. Dallas got in Baron's head and he was totally wild which led to that 3rd quarter collapse where he got ejected. Come on, that's your POINT GUARD. If you plan on winning the game, you can't let the guy who runs the show totally collapse.

Refs are calling the game one way? Then adapt and win anyways.

4. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

My understanding is that Joey Crawford was suspended for asking Tim Duncan if he wanted to fight, not just for the wrongful T.

5. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with upside. I think he's dead on with his assessment.

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I thought that second technical on Baron was completely justified. He had been whining about calls for a while and I was really surprised that he hadn't been warned earlier. After that foul call he looked straight at the referee and started clapping his hands as if to make fun of him. I thought that much was clear. Now that's disrespectful, but it probably didn't warrant a technical. What separated this from the Duncan-Crawford incident was that Nelson tried to calm him down and the referee even warned him to stop before handing out the T. They let him go on for a pretty long time and the fact that they bothered to tell him to stop makes this a lot less arbitrary IMO. After you get a warning, why the hell wouldn't you just shut up and get back to the game?

7. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I thought that second technical on Baron was completely justified. He had been whining about calls for a while and I was really surprised that he hadn't been warned earlier. After that foul call he looked straight at the referee and started clapping his hands as if to make fun of him. I thought that much was clear. Now that's disrespectful, but it probably didn't warrant a technical. What separated this from the Duncan-Crawford incident was that Nelson tried to calm him down and the referee even warned him to stop before handing out the T. They let him go on for a pretty long time and the fact that they bothered to tell him to stop makes this a lot less arbitrary IMO. After you get a warning, why the hell wouldn't you just shut up and get back to the game?</div>

Baron was clapping with the fans about the call, after Baron was calmed down. The trivial thing was that the ref that Baron was in front of didn't even call the second T. It was the ref on the other side of the court. If the ref is more focused on watching Baron Davis than resuming play giving the ball to Stackhouse to shoot his two FT's then there is something wrong, seriously wrong. The referee's job is to control the game and make sure it's being played at a good pace. They aren't supposed to be elementary school teachers giving T's to students or players for being noisy or what have you. Baron was ready for the third quarter to get over with, but the refs I guess had enough of Baron for the night. Players go up to refs all the time during FT's especially guards behind the three point line. I think both T's were pretty questionable. But whatever, it's a new series now. This is all part of the past. Tomorrow starts on a clean slate.

8. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You have every right to complain, and this particular official is another ego driven maniac who should not be officiating any professional sport. This guy's nickname Bennett "the Rat" Salvatore.

The first technical foul on Stephen Jackson was absolutely uncalled for. He came over to play peacemaker and was actually holding players back. His reputation preceded him in the situation, and the Warriors should definitely lobby a complaint.

The second technical foul on Baron Davis was a joke aswell. This is not the regular season, this is the emotionally charged NBA playoffs, and stakes are high. The hand clapping Baron was doing wasn't even directed at Salvatore, yet he felt compelled to wind up his fist, strut across the court and eject Baron Davis from the game.

Salvatore needs to be the next official exited out of the league.</div>
    Salvatore basically gave the Heat game Five of the Finals too (called a phantom foul from half-court).

Technical Fouls shouldn't be thrown around in the playoffs either; so what if Baron clapped? Fine him the next day instead or whatever.

9. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

LOL. I think Baron deserved the second technical. You guys shouldn't be surprised if Stu Jackson fines Stephen Jackson for not leaving the court right after he got tossed out.

10. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LOL. I think Baron deserved the second technical. You guys shouldn't be surprised if Stu Jackson fines Stephen Jackson for not leaving the court right after he got tossed out.</div>
    I hate to admit it, but it almost felt like Baron wanted to get kicked out.

11. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Baron was clapping with the fans about the call, after Baron was calmed down. The trivial thing was that the ref that Baron was in front of didn't even call the second T. It was the ref on the other side of the court. If the ref is more focused on watching Baron Davis than resuming play giving the ball to Stackhouse to shoot his two FT's then there is something wrong, seriously wrong. The referee's job is to control the game and make sure it's being played at a good pace. They aren't supposed to be elementary school teachers giving T's to students or players for being noisy or what have you. Baron was ready for the third quarter to get over with, but the refs I guess had enough of Baron for the night. Players go up to refs all the time during FT's especially guards behind the three point line. I think both T's were pretty questionable. But whatever, it's a new series now. This is all part of the past. Tomorrow starts on a clean slate.</div>
    He was staring straight at the official when he was clapping. I wish I could find a picture of it, but they had the camera on him the entire time and it was so clear that he was looking for trouble. The official had his whistle in his mouth, focusing very hard at the foul shooter, but Baron was a couple feet away, staring him down, and clapping like an idiot. I can understand you questioning why the opposite official came and made the call, but what about the warning? When a ref goes out of his way to tell you to stop doing something, you have to be ready to accept the consequences if you keep doing it. And, honestly, he had it coming for most of the 3rd quarter. After his first technical, he was in the official's face for every single call.

12. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He was staring straight at the official when he was clapping. I wish I could find a picture of it, but they had the camera on him the entire time and it was so clear that he was looking for trouble. The official had his whistle in his mouth, focusing very hard at the foul shooter, but Baron was a couple feet away, staring him down, and clapping like an idiot. I can understand you questioning why the opposite official came and made the call, but what about the warning? When a ref goes out of his way to tell you to stop doing something, you have to be ready to accept the consequences if you keep doing it. And, honestly, he had it coming for most of the 3rd quarter. After his first technical, he was in the official's face for every single call.</div>

Is that not part of the NBA? I see players in the officials faces all the time. The reason why it didn't work this time is because the officals were out of line. Baron did change his demenor when asked to. At first Baron was about to get into the refs face a big deal, but Don Nelson told him it's not worth it. I mean Baron was definitley calming down, and all the referees needed to do was give Stackhouse the ball at the free throw line to shoot 2 FTs to end the third quarter. That is all that needed to be done. If you can't handle the andrinaline of a playoff game as a referee, then you ought to be on a vacation and getting ready for next season. I think it's as simple as that.

13. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

Baron also slammed the ball on the court after a foul in the 1st quarter...not trying to start an arguement just putting that out there.

14. Clif25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBKkHmPvGE

Here is around a 10 minute quarter to end the third quarter. You can't tell me that Baron was in the face of the ref every call after his technical. Sure the last two fouls that he had, he thought were close, and hell they did look pretty close. Also Baron was not staring at anybody. If he was looking at the ref, then it's because the ref controlled the ball before Stackhouse could shoot his free throws. The clip doesn't show what Salvatore actually did, but according to Reggie Miller he asked Don Nelson to get Baron to cool down, even though Baron obviously was cooling down and not distracting the game flow what-so-ever. From what I saw and take in from what Miller was pointing out, he gave Nelson 2 seconds to get Baron to stop clapping and then he called a technical. Maybe it wasn't 2 seconds but it was seriously maybe 5-10 seconds. It's really a shame because the Warriors were within 7 points not too long before that technical. Salvatore at least should have recognized that the call that was made was a close call, this is a playoff game, the Warriors play off some type of emotion, and the Warriors are desperate to win. Also to EJECT a player in that situation is just unheard of. I mean maybe, just maybe you give him his first technical. But that would even be rediculous. But to eject him, is quite childish if you ask me. Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson acted fine throughout the 10 minutes of that clip.

Anyway this is the end that I will talk about this occurance. I'm gonna focus on game 3 now. But I will just leave this topic by saying it sure will be interesting how the league addresses this situation. I thought maybe there would have been a statement or something that would have come out by now. But, idk...Warriors are even with the Mavs. I am not going to complain.

15. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Want some cheese with your whine? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Want some cheese with your whine? [​IMG]

http://img134.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-14971/loc454/31861_waiter_122_454lo.jpg"></div>

C
    Let's just all conclude that the refs had problems and the players had problems. It takes two to tango to elevate the situation to that level.

17. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Want some cheese with your whine? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Let's see if there's another highlight before this season ends.

Clapping at a basketball game?[​IMG]

Smiling?[​IMG]

Are those felony offenses in Texas? Can Salvatore read Baron's mind-and so prove that of 10,000 folks in the building who were-at that moment-smiling or clapping or both[​IMG] Baron was doing it in an evil spirit[​IMG]

Why not just declare the Mavs the winner at the half and avoid the charade?
    Sorry bout not stickin' to the script....can't have the favorite knocked out before the league makes $ on the series. America wants to see the same 5-6 teams in the post season year after year after year..right?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]