Emotional Orpik says he deserved suspension

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by truebluefan, May 4, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Brooks Orpik faced the music on Monday afternoon in the visitor’s locker room at Consol Energy Center.

The defenseman acknowledged that he deserved the three-game suspension that the NHL gave him on Sunday night.

When asked about his relationship with Olli Maatta, Orpik became emotional. He said that he spoke with Maatta after the game on Saturday night.

“I think it was fair,” Orpik said. “It was a bad hit. I intended it to be a hard hit, definitely not at his head. I don’t think there’s any way you can argue. It was definitely late. It was pretty black and white. That’s what I said at my hearing.”

Orpik said he spoke with Maatta following the game. The two are close friends. Orpik took a liking to Maatta immediately after the Penguins drafted Maatta in 2012.

“I talked to him right after the game,” Orpik said.

What was said?

“I’ll leave that to him and me,” Orpik said. “He’s a pretty good friend. That made the situation a little tougher.”

- See more at:http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/05/02/emotional-orpik-says-he-deserved-suspension/