Erick Dampier for comeback P.O.Y.

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by OgShowtime, Jan 21, 2004.

1. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

As I'm currently watching Mr. Dampier tear apart the Clippers front line, my thoughts have turned to the NBA's comeback player of the year award. Though there are a few other names that could be argued as deserving, I would cast my vote for Oakland's (correct name IMO) anchor in the middle.

Erick has seemingly been awakened from his 7 year slumber and become the type of player that many expected him to be when he entered the NBA out of Mississippi State. Through the season's first half, E.D. has posted numbers that rival the league's top-flight centers at : 11.6 ppg, 11.3 rpg, and 1.6 blks. He ranks number 4 overall in rebounding and ties for sixth place with 20 double-doubles. While Erick doesn't have the passing ability of a Brad Miller, he's becoming one of the league's most intimidating low-post rebounders, which is something the Warriors have been needing for longer than most of their fans can remember. . . Does anyone else agree with me? If not, who would you nominate?

2. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

12 ppg, 11 ppg, 2 bpg, are pretty damn good numbers for Comeback POY, but Randolph, and Redd have had really good years, plus, playing in GS, he isn't going to get a lot of recognition.

3. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cArMeLo15:</div><div class="quote_post">12 ppg, 11 ppg, 2 bpg, are pretty damn good numbers for Comeback POY, but Randolph, and Redd have had really good years, plus, playing in GS, he isn't going to get a lot of recognition.</div>

This isn't Most Improved, he said comeback player. We never really saw what Redd and Randolph could do, so they definetley would go under MIP. As for Dampier, yes he is a candidate for comeback player of the year, he is having an amazing season, and has put the Warriors on his back.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

A couple of months ago I would of agreed,however Dampier's performances have really dipped since then.

5. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">A couple of months ago I would of agreed,however Dampier's performances have really dipped since then.</div>

I agree, but he has been picking up the slack lately, and is showing signs of getting back on track.

6. OgShowtime

True about Redd and Randolph, they are having great years, but I don't think it's fair to categorize their performances this season as "comeback". Younger guys like that are really just improving, not that they weren't good players coming into the league, they just hadn't had a chance to prove themselves. I don't know if there's any rule or guideline in place about age, or number of years in the league before becoming eligible, but there should be.

Redd had very good numbers coming off the bench for Milwaukee last year and Randolph performed well, but really didn't get a chance until the end of the year. I think a player should have to improve from a previous season of struggle. Basically, a player would have to have had at least one season that could be considered "productive" prior to his year of "struggle" in order for him to be eligible. I would also like to see at least a five-year mandatory stay in the league before be considered. - Forgive me if there happen similar rules already on the books, I'm not familiar with the NBA's voting guidelines for postseason awards.

The biggest problem Dampier will likely have is - as you said - his location. Outside of the bay area, the Warriors are as far off the NBA radar as any team could be, though I would hope that he still gets his fair share of votes. Others I think might be deserving along with Dampier are guys like Damon Stoudamire and Vin Baker - up until his recent problems, as well as Larry Hughes and Maurice Taylor.

7. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Very good points OG. Dampier has really picked up his play as of late with some dominating performancing and IMO should get the award if he keeps this up.

8. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with a lot of your points too, but i wouldn't necessarily say that he's 'come back' from anything. You remember that when the award existed, it was usually guys coming off terrible injuries who won it, like Bernard King. Damp's just been hibernating, hardly a rough condition for him. I'd put someone like Vin Baker ahead of him for CPOY, or Marcus Camby.

9. OgShowtime

Camby is a good one too Starman, I didn't even think about him. I also would have had Baker slightly ahead of Dampier until recently. His numbers have slid dramatically since his suspension and he seems to have lost most of his minutes to Walter McCarty.

Overall, maybe you're right about the factors going into the award. Though I doubt he would get much support for most improved player, that may be the award that's more suitable for Damp. At any rate, my basis for submitting this thread was really just to give the big man credit, where credit was due. He definitely worked extremely hard on his game to produce career-high stats through the first half of the season, and should he continue to produce at this level for the duration, deserves to be commended for it. - Even if there isn't an award with his name on it.

Good job ED, keep rollin'... :thumbsup:

10. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">Camby is a good one too Starman, I didn't even think about him. I also would have had Baker slightly ahead of Dampier until recently. His numbers have slid dramatically since his suspension and he seems to have lost most of his minutes to Walter McCarty.

Overall, maybe you're right about the factors going into the award. Though I doubt he would get much support for most improved player, that may be the award that's more suitable for Damp. At any rate, my basis for submitting this thread was really just to give the big man credit, where credit was due. He definitely worked extremely hard on his game to produce career-high stats through the first half of the season, and should he continue to produce at this level for the duration, deserves to be commended for it. - Even if there isn't an award with his name on it.

Good job ED, keep rollin'... :thumbsup:</div>

Camby is great, so's Nene, they're not among the elite, but they get the job done. Same goes for the great Dampier. Baker has been slumped again hasn't he? One thing you cannot deny, is that Dampier is a hard worker, it's very difficult for a team like the Warriors to do battle even when they're so capable of doing so.